Spam that includes only a PDF file as an attachment

I get some spam every once and awhile but it's just a email with a PDF attachment. Malwarebytes and ESET do not find anything wrong with the attachment.

So what are they trying to get me to do? Opening the PDF shows me a receipt and still neither Malwarebytes nor ESET find anything wrong.

The PDF is usually a fake document with a "click here to login a view" link to a fake website. That's how they get around AV scans and anti-spam filters.

Those and htm/html files are the most common ones but these tend to get blocked alot.

Last edited:
1) You opening the attachment at all is very likely going to alert the spammers that the email address is a valid one and is checked and actioned upon; and is actioned upon by someone who will actually open an attachment in a spam email. The price for your email address on the black market will skyrocket.

2) Malicious stuff can be baked into a PDF. It will almost certainly require your action (click/tap on a link or otherwise engage with a graphical or text element) but it can be as nasty as a malicious web page.

3) An anti-virus service is never going to flag a PDF because PDF files are not executable.

Some versions of Adobe Acrobat have security flaws that can be exploited by malformed PDF documents. Best to just delete sketchy files like that.

Why do users make this so complicated? The only interaction with unsolicited email should be one click on the trash can icon.
I know a person who thinks "what if it's an order from a new customer?" or "what if they are interested in our products?" and so on. I've said it here, I don't play "what if...." games.

Armchair spam detective isn't a good idea. At best it's a waste of time. Leave this to the experts (which I'm not). And also those experts already have a copy, since that's how spam works.

Armchair spam detective isn't a good idea. At best it's a waste of time. Leave this to the experts (which I'm not). And also those experts already have a copy, since that's how spam works.
I actually work in computer security trying to keep the bad guys out of the mainframe.

If I get an email with a link or attachment and no personal message in the body of the email it goes directly to trash. Clients have a hard time understanding I do this to protect their information.

If I get an email that says "Click this link to view your statement" it goes to the trash and I go to my bookmarks to log in and see if there is a statement. I just read 95% of infections are caused by error or carelessness.

Reactions: Pew
Back