Sony SA-Z1

Anyone hear (har har) of these new speakers from Sony?
They look like something from a SciFi movie!
With a price tag of 8k USD, they gotta be from an alternative reality o_O

Here's a review of the speakers in question.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/sony-sa-z1-nearfield-listening-system/
1697831555953.jpg

I know Sony went through their "Cheap quality" phase where Sony's would just die/break on their own. But I do remember back in the day how Sony was always doing something unique and different! Always trying to push the envelope with something new, this reminds me of back in the day! Crazy high price, but when you listen to it, you've never heard anything like it!

Good for Sony for finding their way back to innovative audio products.. Sure, I'm not buying it at that price, but nice to know they can still show the world something new!

My ears would never hear the difference from $80 speakers. Have chronic Lyme which causes ringing and tinnitus. 🫨

Human hearing if your ears are perfect is 20hz low to 20khz high… tweeters that go out to 100k, why? That’s the reason Dr Bose didn’t like releasing specs like frequency response.

Last edited:
My ears would never hear the difference from $80 speakers. Have chronic Lyme which causes ringing and tinnitus. 🫨

Human hearing if your ears are perfect is 20hz low to 20khz high… tweeters that go out to 100k, why? That’s the reason Dr Bose didn’t like releasing specs like frequency response.
I've always experienced that if they go beyond human "average" hearing at 20khz it helps give detail to the treble. I've seen this with a lot of speakers/amps. but on the fun part.. I'm betting your dog would hear it quite well! 🐶

tweeters that go out to 100k, why? That’s the reason Dr Bose didn’t like releasing specs like frequency response.
Dr Bose didn’t like releasing specs like frequency response because they don’t make audiophile-quality sound reproduction. They make a very tailored response to make their un-EQ’d speakers sound like what most prefer to hear, rather than say JBL’s Synthesis models, some of which are roughly 30-25kHz +/-2dB, which when reviewed are usually called “sterile” compared to the +6dB@50Hz curve that is usually chosen in a blind test of what sounds “better”.

Bose makes some good products, but they’ve never been audiophile-grade.

Dr Bose didn’t like releasing specs like frequency response because they don’t make audiophile-quality sound reproduction. They make a very tailored response to make their un-EQ’d speakers sound like what most prefer to hear, rather than say JBL’s Synthesis models, some of which are roughly 30-25kHz +/-2dB, which when reviewed are usually called “sterile” compared to the +6dB@50Hz curve that is usually chosen in a blind test of what sounds “better”.

Bose makes some good products, but they’ve never been audiophile-grade.
Perfectly said. Bose always had the attraction of middle aged individuals who enjoy their audio with simplicity and a tailored sound for music not necessarily played at high volumes but to sound rich in the midrange at comfortable levels.

It's' an entire set up. Speakers and many state of the art separate amps for each individual driver.
Really fascinating for those who wish to spend on a tiny system. Reading the review its quite stunning sound made for a small room or office, meaning a one person type system.
" It sets a new standard for what small desktop speaker systems can do in soundstaging, harmonic purity, dynamic acuity, and low-frequency speed and definition."
I wont own one but there are those that even tell the time their wrist at many times the cost of this system. :unsure: ... and here they can know not many have a system like this at a much lower price than their watch or wheels on their car.

Oh, I know ringing/tinnitus oh so well. It sucks. Good luck dealing with it.
But somehow I learned to ignore it for lack of better words. At first due to a doctor screw up 2 decades ago with a major ear infection started it all. I LOVE listening to music and was almost depressed over the ringing. However, somehow I got used to it.
I consider mine to be on the lower scale to moderate under some conditions like a cold or sore throat it gets worse. But anyone with it, like you as well can understand how some with severe can literally go out of their minds and nothing can be done.
Worst is, no one, not even a doctor knows the intensity, I suspect you might be worse then me but we all can imagine how bad a severe case can be.

I still REALLY enjoy quality audio and certainly can tell the huge difference between my new Bose QC2 earbuds vs the first generation Bose QC earbuds and less expensive JBIrd Vista 2 earbuds which still serve a purpose because the JayBird fit me a like a glove and can even sleep with them on.

My wife got a listen (we are nuts about sound) of my New Bose QC2 and loves the sound over her Apple Air Pods Pro so much so that my normally for lack of better words, frugal wife doesnt like to waste money on something that already serves a purpose. Well, she heard the Bose and wants a pair for her birthday now. Ready to toss the Apple Air Pod Pro's that she used to love.

The problem for me is the Bose QC2 does not fit my ears as well as the originals and I may just give them to her and check out the Sony X4 or X5. For some reason I have an issue with earbuds in one ear falling out and the Bose Sports and Jaybird have been excellent.
Of course while I type this, now that tinnitus is on my mind the ringing in my ear is crazy once you make yourself aware of it all over again. :(

Last edited:
Oh yeah it’s a pain luckily mine comes and goes but worsens when I get a Lyme flare up. I never invest big money in ear pods because they never stay in especially for my active lifestyle while I’m working or doing yard work. I use the wired apple set which sound ok for me but when I want a little better sound I have from my wife’s old galaxy phone the akg headphones which sound fairly rich. I had back in the day bang and olufsen over the ear earbuds no microphone for phone calls those sounded absolutely beautiful very lively and crisp. Just don’t know where they went wish I could find them.

Back