Some things I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
, building & shooting Estes & Centuri model rockets,.

I had the Saturn 5 that had 2 engines. It was impossible to get them to light off at the same time so it was under thrusted and did nose plants.

I had a kit with a radiation source to view alpha particle vapor trails.

When my dad saw the ignition sytem with 6V flashlight latern battery struggling to heat the nichrome wire to start the rocket engine, he hooked it to the automotive battery in his pickup truck instead. Instant liftoff when I hit the button! This was the standard from that early day forward - use the vehicle battery whether it was his truck or mom's station wagon.

Sam's Greatest American hamburgers on North 50th in Lincoln Ne (It's an Amigos/Kings now) - Hamburgers 4 for $1
"Store brand" Mac and cheese 12 boxes for $1
Hot dogs (8/pkg) four for $1 (0.25 each) - that what I LIVED ON in college!
Milk for .80 a gallon
Super tech quarts for $.70 each
Used tires for $10 mounted and balanced!
Spark plugs for .25 each
Oil in cardboard cylindrical cans with metal tops that needed a sharp spout to pierce with
New bias ply passenger car tires on the rack
EVERY filling station had the restrooms outside

Back in the day, the standard sized coffee can was 16 ounces, not the 10-13 ounce of today. Mayo came in quart jars, not the 30 ounce ones today. And a half-gallon of ice cream was actually a half gallon, not the 48 ounce containers of today in many brands. The width of a roll of toilet paper was about a half inch wider than many brands today.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Dude, coffee still comes in steel cans and hotdogs with the works are 2 for $2.00.
Not sure where your at but alot more changed than that.

Yeah, the real old days was when Oscar Meyer was in town once and had hot dogs for 25 cents each. I think that's basically their cost or actually below cost at the time.
My old salad days of cheap hot dogs were the special events at Clippers games where they offered them for ten cents each.
UPDATE: Apparently they still do http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd...mp;vkey=tickets
Still gotta dish out seven bones for nosebleed seats though. So the cheap hot dogs come with a 7.00 base price. Maaannnn!

Fine, disregard the nonsense I wrote above and just watch this video.

Last edited:
I remember going to see a first-run movie in Hamtramck in 1960 for 20 cents. I also remember my mom walking this four year-old to the corner store at Dubois and Forest for loaves of bread. Back then (1955), Wonder Bread had a side sticker on the loaf that read 2 for 25 cents.

A pack of Winston cigarettes in 1967 was right around 35 cents. That was when I began smoking, at the age of 15. In 1971 when I married late in the year at the age of 20, a six-pack of Goebel Beer could be purchased at Great Scott supermarket for 99 cents.

I remember paying $.33 a quart for oil, and 23.9 cents a gallon for regular gas. Ethyl was 27.9 cents a gallon. Sales tax in The Republic of California was 4 cents per dollar, but gas was exempt, having plenty of it's own taxes (I think 11 cents a gallon, combined state and federal).

I remember the first year I made over $10K; I was working part time and going to school full time.

Federal poverty threshold for a single person that year was $6,280.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back