Some progress on my 62 Renault

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing for sure you'll know if the rods are installed backwards(been there done that)...

Back in the day one could order overhaul kits for Renault & VW from the Sears catalog...

The engine won't turn over with the rods in backwards. Already tried. It is harder to understand what the French call the front of the engine when the engine is in back. But that is why you check rotation on the first piston.

I got most of the electrical parts I'll need to convert to 12 volt, plus the steering wheel, light controls, water pump and thermostat, rack & pinion, and cylinder sleeve to replace the one that was not salvageable. Plus some more.

I cleaned up the cylinders and the pistons, found that when it had been put together 20+ years ago (although never driven much) one of the oil rings was missing a piece, so had to order rings. Here are a few pics. lots more on my site in month 14 and 18.

New_steering_rack.jpg

Sanding_scratches_from_piston_skirts.jpg

Parts_for_12_volt_conversion.jpg

Polished up the alternator
Alternator_polished.jpg

honed the sleeve
honing_cylinder.jpg

Pulled the stainless roof trim and started taking out dents and polishing (details on my site)
Dent_in_stainless.jpg

Basically_finished.jpg

Now I'm back and took the shell to the body shop to patch the undercarriage while I assemble the engine and power train. Hope to be able to install it all before I go back to Santa Cruz at the end of the month.

Loading_on _trailer.jpg

First shot shows the installation of the stainless water tube I had made
Inserting_water_tube.jpg

Then the engine parts and assembly
Engine_gasket_kit.jpg

engine_parts_to _assemble.jpg

Assembling_engine.jpg

New_bolts.jpg

Still have a ways to go, but I'll keep my site updated as I go these next couple of weeks
http://www.widman.biz/Dauphine/English/index.html

You seem versatile and competent in many areas!
Congrats!

But... why THAT car?? For resale or use, I just don't get it when so many others are available and better.

No plans to sell. And yes, I keep track of the costs.

And cheaper than golf, women, or bars.

Engine is almost assembled. One stud for the manifolds was stripped, so this afternoon I'll go into town and get a larger one, plus the tap to rethread.

Got a little more done today. Had to replace one stud in the head.

Had to go to town to get shims for the differential, so that will have to wait for Friday.

Here is a little before and after on the engine. All exterior parts are original except the chrome nuts on the valve cover.

Engine_before_left.jpg

Engine_after_left.jpg

Originally Posted By: widman
No plans to sell. And yes, I keep track of the costs.

And cheaper than golf, women, or bars.

Cheaper than golf...
It always amazes me how many expensive gadgets golf companies introduce every year, and how few of them actually change how well the game is played.

Got the oil filter adapter back from the machine shop with 3/4" threads instead of 16 mm, so now I can use the Donaldson P502016 that I use on the Corvair. So now the right hand side of the engine is finished.

I'm going with an electric fuel pump, so made a plate to cover the hole.

Engine_right_before.jpg

Engine_right_after.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: widman
Got the oil filter adapter back from the machine shop with 3/4" threads instead of 16 mm, so now I can use the Donaldson P502016 that I use on the Corvair. So now the right hand side of the engine is finished.

I'm going with an electric fuel pump, so made a plate to cover the hole.

Engine_right_before.jpg

Engine_right_after.jpg

You are the kind of neighbor every BITOG member wants.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Gosh, I learned to drive in a 62 Dauphine with a 3 on the floor.

Same here
cool.gif
Never thought I would see a post about resto work on one of these - good going!

Any chance that you could integrate a PCV system instead of the road draft tube?It would keep you new engine cleaner and reduce leaks [internal pressure].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back