Some Modern Classic Ships (56k beware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
It was a nice day so I figured that I'd go and take some pictures. I wanted to see if I needed a wide angle lens... as my current lens only goes to 24mm. Seems that I do. Anyway, I was playing around, some shots are better than others, its always a learning process...

Enjoy!!!

DSC_4778-01.jpg

DSC_4779-01.jpg

DSC_4780-01.jpg

DSC_4781-01.jpg

DSC_4769-01.jpg

DSC_4770-01.jpg

DSC_4771-01.jpg

DSC_4772-01.jpg

DSC_4773-01.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Where did you take these? Some of these boats are sitting real high in the water like they are decommissioned? I don't see flags on them either which sort of confirms that theory.

Wiki says Ticonderoga (CG-47) was decommissioned in '04 and Thomas S. Gates (CG-51) is also decommissioned. Can't make out the third cruiser's number - looks like 68, but if that's CG-68 that's the USS Anzio and it's still in service.

I wish the carrier had a visible number - curious as to who she is.

Wiki says Ticonderoga is available to a museum or for a memorial... Hope someone gives her a home.

I may work in Army Aviation and have a passion for turboshaft engines, but there's some of my father (Navy officer / from a long line of Great Lakes Captains) in me that just draws me to ships.

later,
b

Pictures taken at what is left of the Philadelphia Navy Yard. There still is a Navy R&D element there, and a large freshwater basin where inactive ships are kept.

The carrier is the Kennedy, she is being/has been decommissioned.

The 68 was actually a 968. Arthur W. Radford.

The one that has the numbers painted out is the ex-Connolly

JMH

Do I spy the gator freighter 'USS Saipan' in the first few images? Is she located at NIMSF at Aker philadelphia Shipyards ?

I've been on the 'Hornet' a few times over in Oakland, and I've always wanted to take a tour of Suisun Bay where the 'Iowa' is mothballed.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Do I spy the gator freighter 'USS Saipan' in the first few images? Is she located at NIMSF at Aker philadelphia Shipyards ?

Aker is a private shipyard that took over the Navy's old spot. It is unrelated to the Naval activity on the ex-base.

But that is... or was.

JMH

Impressive photographs. Old military vessels of yesteryear are fascinating to look at. Even in their stillness they really make you feel small, especially the aircraft carriers. Interesting relics of a bygone era. Of the group the JFK appears to be the one in the best condition.

Is the Inactive Ship Facility a restricted area that you had access to or place that the public can walk up to? The fact that you were able to get so close to that submarine leads me to believe that you have some sort of clearance.

That submarine, the trout, was decommissioned in 1972, IIRC.

There are other businesses on site these days, meaning that the non-affiliated general public can walk up to the ships for all intents and purposes. That said, it is all behind a limited access gate.

JMH

Great photos for an old squid like me. I was aboard the USS Essex
CVS-9. At the time it was the oldest carrier in the world that was still on duty. Helped decommission that old gal, turned into scrap now.

I was on the USS Yorktown last spring. An Essex class carrier.

Got to go on the USS Alabama this spring.

Both were very, very cool. Not sure what to do for an encore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back