SO I ordered some new rotors for my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ordered 4 slotted and drilled rotors ($174 shipped)OE spec from ebay.
I got them in they looked gorgeous..wonderful.great...beautiful.
So install day for the rears..went well. they fit great. I went ahead didn't do a half arse job. I replaced the parking brakes, all the hardware(springs, adjuster, retainer, and the caliper hardware(boot and metal sliders for calipers. so Now they work amazing. I even found some ceramic brake pads (PROSTOP) and did the brake seating procedure and everything..I mean it was wonderful. In fact with just the rear rotors and new pads the braking difference is so much more better.

Well Lets just say I looked over my rotors. I didn't get crazy and pull everyone out and look at them.

So Before my trip to Lake George I figure I would get the front done too. New brake rotors, pads (ceramic) and caliper kit (boots, pad sliders, grease), the whole shabang.

I work on my right wheel for about half hour, cleaning with wire brush, prepping, greasing caliper, painting A arms with undercoating (after wire brushing rust off) I mean soup to nuts. I put some anti seize on where the disc will seat and then grab my new disc ( OH JOY)..........FREAKEN 6 LUGS...WHAT! I have 5
Jeez had to put back the old pads and rotors.
Turns out they sent one wrong rotor(RIGHT) and that happened to be the wheel I was working on. Well I was glad about that. I would have hate to have one good rotor on and then leave one old one. I want them to wear evenly.

I call for new ones and don't request one, because I want 2 new ones machine at the same time so I have no issues with fit and finish. I believe in getting the same group production and not one from here and there.

They were great said ok no problem we will replace it .

I get my rotors in and guess what.....they were the right ones, but looked like someone with a chisel did the work. They were the tooling was very bad. I was surprised. It even had a surface grove around the whole rotor like a record.
I call them and in a flash they apologize and say they will send a new pair. I send pics and everything to backup my claims.
Well I got my 3rd set of front rotors yesterday...LOL
WRONG AGAIN. they were massive and had studs in them. LOL. what the heck.

NOW I have 6 rotors in my house and only one from the very first batch(left one) is right and perfect looking.

I called yesterday and they are sending another set. LOL.
I have like 120 lbs of rotors in the house. the last set were 57lbs just for the 2.

OH life is great....LOL

I didn't even yell or anything . The people are nice and in a second send me a return label and ship out the replacement, so i will just chalk it up to someone in dropping the ball....A LOT!

Want some rotors...I have extra....LOL

Here are my second set....Nice machine work ay!
Wonder if I put a needle on it what song will play.
[image]
DSCF3096-1.jpg
[/image]
DSCF3121.jpg

DSCF3105.jpg

Here are the big ones. I love the pressed in stud. Too bad they wont fit my truck. I have 2 bad studs the dealer cross threaded. Notice the bent ABS ring. Some good packing procedures I see.
[image]
DSCF3284.jpg
[/image]

Last edited:
Pretty poor workmanship on that second set.

I plan on getting drilled and slotted rotors for out beast when the time comes...but not from eBay
laugh.gif

You know what the rear ones were great. R1concepts have a pretty good reputation and very good customer service. I think they were having a bad month and just included me.
laugh.gif

I couldn't be happier with the rear rotors

The Humor section is appropriate. This is surely something out of an Elliot Gould movie. Next thing to happen is that some Chinese scrap broker bids on your rotor collection and you make big $$$.

They probably outsource the work to a nearby high school. I am sure they have a drill press at least.

You should get plain surface rotors.
Rotors with grooves, dimples, or holes in them have more noise, wear the pads faster, make more dust/dirt, crack and warp easier, are much harder to re machine, have water/dirt retention, and cost a LOT more.

So far they are great. No noise at all. Dust is nil with my trip to Lake George and back. Wear pattern even and smooth.

Um I don't agree on the account members on my truck forum have been using these rotors with great success and reliability.

The design of the slots and chamfered holes are to keep the rotors and pad clean. They also cool the rotors much better than a plain disc, helping it keep away from temperatures that would promote warping. Stress cracks would probably seen if this truck was used on a race course under high loads and constant temperatures. I am sure that the stress that would cause such failure will never be reached by me.Even if they were to wear my pads 25% quicker than my pads wear out now, I would still be completely satisfied, because of the gained stopping power.

I don't think the popularity of these types of rotors are strictly aesthetic. Everything you describe would make them a nightmare and defeat the purpose of the design to begin with.

This was just a story of some bad luck not what rotors I should buy.

Again I don't agree with you. Oh wait they would be hard to machine.

Last edited:
Porsche Racing removes the fancy drilled slotted rotors for their track use, and uses plain types.
I am in the business, and believe me, plain is best. I have seen the problems even with factory non - plain type rotors over the years.
Sure, they can work, and some will convince themselves that their purchase was justified, but not for the vast majority.
My practical advice is better than theory.

Slotted and drilled rotors help dissipate the gas layer between the pad and rotor which results in better pad/rotor contact. This may hold true for water and debris as well. A rotor is a heat sink. The more material you remove (i.e. drilling holes and slots), the less material available for heat dissipation.

I believe tests have shown that they run cooler than a conventional rotor of the same specs without the holes. If you need proof I employ you to research it.

Your forgetting that as the rotors spin air is forced through the veins and out the holes. Effectively you have created more vent holes for heat to be dissipated. Those gases that get vented off the rotor is working heat also that is being moved away instead of heat soaking the rotor.

Again this is not a rotor debate.

Ok deliver date is " Scheduled Delivery 07/24/2007"

Now lets see if they get them right this time.

I have my fingers crossed, some salt over the shoulder, a four leaf clover and I helped a old woman cross the street.

Last edited:
Quote:

I believe tests have shown that they run cooler than a conventional rotor of the same specs without the holes. If you need proof I employ you to research it.

Your forgetting that as the rotors spin air is forced through the veins and out the holes. Effectively you have created more vent holes for heat to be dissipated. Those gases that get vented off the rotor is working heat also that is being moved away instead of heat soaking the rotor.

Again this is not a rotor debate.

From TireRack's website:

"IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.

While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if these products are used on the track they are not warrantable."

Like you said, you'll never see the track and I'm sure what you purchased will work just fine for your application.
cheers.gif

Six of one/half dozen of another for street use. Hope those guys finally get the proper product to you.

SET 4.

tooling marks on them as well. pits right around the chamfered holes.

I called AGAIN guy said"oh that goes away"
Thats not what I payed for, Ridiculous!
Sending me replacement set

0005.jpg

0004.jpg

0002.jpg

He is sending set 5
pat2.gif

Maybe I am cursed.

A guy on my truck forum just bought 4 for his truck same year as mine and all was perfect.

Then another with a 03 explorer received 2 rear discs with one having a lip on the area that mates against the rim and the other flat all the way to the edge.Looks like it doesn't matter mechanically, but just would look odd if you had a very open style rim.

I don't know what the deal is. Someone needs to get fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back