So I inherited this buick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some suggestions... I now possess my grandmothers 1998 LeSabre. It is in fair shape without too many skweeks or rattles. It is also much like driving a waterbed. It's like driving with a tiller while the car wallows and dips. Ugh. I'm sure the struts are pooped out, and it will need new tires soon. Do I actually have any options for upgrading the suspension, and is it similar enough to the Bonneville that I could look there for upgrade parts? If this was a Mustang or Superduty pickup I'd know where to start, but not with Grannie's car...

Thanks,

Wes

I'm sure the supercharged 3800 guys could help you out. There's a website but I can't remember the name. If you stop by turbobuick.com, there's a forum for the front drivers that would get you started.

Is this car front wheel drive, do you have the 3800 engine in it, I guess the point I am trying to make are what kind of goals do you have for this vehicle. If you have the 3800 engine there is a website called GrandPrixstore.com that may be able to give you some ideas.

How many miles are on this Buick? Depending on the mileage and the shape it is in, I would put standard shocks/struts back on it with a decent set of tires, and enjoy my nice ride down the highway. That's what the car was designed to do, and they were very good at it.

great car and engine if you take care of it it will last 300,000 miles i would keep an eye on the dexcool and change it asap there is a site that sells super chips i dont recall where but i will try to find it and post it sometime this week..good luck with it

Wesbo,
You'd be surprised that the struts may be OK! These cars floated down the road like a bardge. Where do you think the term "land bardge" came from? ... You own one! If your not sure just how to check the struts, then have it done a your favorite local garage. They'll do a bounce test and check for fluid leaks around the struts. Changing to a firmer strut and performance tires will change the charactor of the Buick and you might not like the results because the car doesn't like change. In order to change the handling on a LeSabre you'd have to change out the spring, struts, stabilizer bars and tires along with firmer steering box and who knows what? Even then, the Buick will still handle like krapola. I once knew a guy that put an Johnson outboard in the trunk of a buick and called it supercharged. And that would be about right for this car. Great vehicle as it is, leave it be, keep things stock and enjoy the ride.

I don't think there would be any real harm in upgrading struts. And I think you could certainly improve on the floatiness. Stay away from the racier brands... just go with a reputable replacement brand (I've had good luck with upper-end monroes-- SensaTraks are very nice) and youu'll likely see a big improvement. If they damaged a car's character, they wouldn't sell...

It's changing spring rates & ride height that typically causes the issues mentioned above.

M

x2 I'm willing to bed the shocks/struts are fine. My girlfriend owns (but no longer drives now that she lives in the city) a 1998 Buick Riviera, it floats down the highway much like what you described. It only has about 40K miles.

Floating is a good thing, when your highways and streets all look as though they've been shelled by the U.S. Army practicing for Iraq.

That said, put OEM struts and fresh (not oversized) tires on it, change the oil and other fluids, change the PCV and air filter (and cabin filter, if it has one), and drive and enjoy.

http://www.bonnevilleforum.com/ has a forum for issues on other FWD 3800-powered GMs.

My mother in law has an 01 lesabre and it's cushy but not floaty. I suspect your struts have seen better days.

Get urethane end link bushings for the sway bars [instead of rubber] - pretty cheap and easy to replace, and will tighten it up a lot in turns and stability.
When you get replacement shocks/struts, get heavy duty or performance designated ones. They will cost more, but are a wise choice.

Thanks for the replies.

It has 50K miles, and the front struts are for sure shot. Leaking fluid from the driver side, and the pass side has crusty stuff on it like it used to leak (maybe it is empty now?). And you guys are right; it will never be a great handler. I just want it to stay off the sidewalls while cornering and to wallow a little less. As it is now, going over the railroad tracks near my house gives the car fits and the rear end bounces around.

I had a 96 Bonnie with the 3800 and loved it. The LeSabre actually has no problem with getting up to speed (or stopping) but the dipping and diving and bottoming out the suspension is out of place. Maybe I'll swap in some front struts and just take it a little at a time.

Do all 4 struts at the same time. Plus get 4 nice tires. Then an alignment. Sounds like you're keeping this car? Then you'll need to adjust your attitude behind the wheel and make the floating your friend.

Another site to check out is PontiacBonnevilleClub . com. You'll find lots of tips there.

And I learned to love the float. Ahh, nothing like hitting a giant pothole and not feeling it!

You can also upgrade to the Bonneville SSEi springs/struts if you want better handling. And some poly endlinks for the sway bars will have that Buick riding stiffer and cornering with less lean. About $350 for that stuff.

It's a Bonneville with a different skin. So pretty much any mechanical part for a 98-99 Bonneville will work on your LeSabre.

I'd also recommend finding a friend with a tuner or buying a re-mapped engine computer (Intense Racing is where I got mine from) to wake the car up. That and a few starter mods like flushing the Dex-Kill out of it, adding a 180* thermostat, changing the lower intake manifold gaskets and composite upper intake (possibly porting/polishing the lower intake while it's out), knocking the baffles out of the airbox, and getting an Amsoil drop-in filter. Those will leave you with a more fuel-efficient and much quicker car for $500 all together. And a lot of that can be done in one weekend.

Tires I'd lean for a more performance-oriented tire with a higher sidewall pressure. Then you can pump up the tires to corner better. A side benefit is better fuel economy.

So for about $1000 in parts and a few weekends of work you can do over your LeSabre into something else than Granny's Buick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back