So far Kia>>>Honda..My experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
The attitude of the driver has a lot to do with reliability of the vehicle.
Mom driving > Sister driving.

Not on this site! We use whatever insignificant information we can to bash or fanboy the brand of our choice.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Let me know when you hit 250+k miles and then I will believe Kia over Japanese vehicles. That generation of Honda has some horrible issues with transmissions for sure though. I have 281k miles on our sienna with original Engine and transmission. Another poster on here has 380k on his sienna. Also if the Sedona of that generation wasn't so but ugly I would have considered it. The newer ones are very nice...might just have to consider it.

See my signature.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
The attitude of the driver has a lot to do with reliability of the vehicle.
Mom driving > Sister driving.

Not on this site! We use whatever insignificant information we can to bash or fanboy the brand of our choice.

A lot of this forum is conjecture and very little science.
grin2.gif

Very few people who have had historic success with one brand ever consider another. Human nature.

My wife's second car (then-girlfriend) was a Kia Rio. I want to say a ~2002 model. It died at 80,000 miles. Just died. As in just shut off and never came back on. Her dad traded it to a mechanic for some work on another vehicle. The mechanic was going to fix it and drive it as a fuel saving car. He never got it running again. Before it died, the transmission was going out. Extremely hard shifts sometimes and slipping other times.

A few years later, her mom and dad bought a 2010 Kia Optima. Great car! Her mom hit 2 deer (separate occasions) and it finally totaled it but it had zero problems and was a great car for long trips, even though it didn't have cruise control!!!

I personally think Kia/Hyundai is stepping up their game and, IMO Honda has been slipping. I'm not sure I'd buy a Kia over a Honda just yet though... I'm a bit biased.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Let me know when you hit 250+k miles and then I will believe Kia over Japanese vehicles. That generation of Honda has some horrible issues with transmissions for sure though. I have 281k miles on our sienna with original Engine and transmission. Another poster on here has 380k on his sienna. Also if the Sedona of that generation wasn't so but ugly I would have considered it. The newer ones are very nice...might just have to consider it.

See my signature.
wink.gif

Motor Trend recently replaced the transmission in their New Honda Pilot tester-it was shifting weird and the dealer couldn't figure it out. They really didn't like the new 8 speed.

I just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe 7 passenger for my wife. We just got back from a road trip. Salt Lake City to Monument Valley, then on to Santa Fe, New Mexico, next stop was the Grand Canyon and the Arizona Strip-and then to St. George, UT and return to Salt Lake.

The vehicle performed flawlessly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
They may make decent cars but a Sonata rides nowhere near as good as a Camry. I feel like the engine compartments arent as well thought out (hard to work on compared to japanese cars). But hey, if it lasts and you enjoy driving it, who am I to judge? Comes down to personal preference. I guess I havent been that impressed with any Hyundai/Kia I've ever driven.

Couldn’t agree more. Between the looks, feel and ease of use between many brands out there-Kia included- I still prefer the Japanese lines over the rest of the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back