Smoke Free 2T Oils

Just purchased a pair old quad bikes for my kids. They've been sat in someone's garage for 6 years so needed a bit of love.

Both are Chinese 49cc single cylinder two stroke units that seem to run really well. I had to clean out the fuel tank and carbs followed by some new fuel line and they both started on the 2nd pull.

The only thing that's annoying me is the amount of smoke they produce. Now they haven't had much runtime, but once warmed up they smoke quite badly. The fuel cap suggests 25:1 and I'm using a 10 year old bottle of Comma 2 Stroke Mineral Oil. I've dropped it down to 32:1 and backed off the fuel screw until they are barely running right and then back about 1/8th of a turn but still a bit more smoke than I would like.

At this point I'm sure the quads are normal and I've just become accustomed to the rest of my two stoke OPE fleet that ask for 50:1 and produce next to no smoke at all.

Are there any 'smokeless' two stroke oils out there? Or any two stroke oils that would safely let me drop the dilution rate down further?

Go full synthetic oil, mineral oils are smokey. full synth. should let you safely go to 40:1 mix. Since they are old units heavy oil mixes where common back with the old mineral oils.

Just purchased a pair old quad bikes for my kids. They've been sat in someone's garage for 6 years so needed a bit of love.

Both are Chinese 49cc single cylinder two stroke units that seem to run really well. I had to clean out the fuel tank and carbs followed by some new fuel line and they both started on the 2nd pull.

The only thing that's annoying me is the amount of smoke they produce. Now they haven't had much runtime, but once warmed up they smoke quite badly. The fuel cap suggests 25:1 and I'm using a 10 year old bottle of Comma 2 Stroke Mineral Oil. I've dropped it down to 32:1 and backed off the fuel screw until they are barely running right and then back about 1/8th of a turn but still a bit more smoke than I would like.

At this point I'm sure the quads are normal and I've just become accustomed to the rest of my two stoke OPE fleet that ask for 50:1 and produce next to no smoke at all.

Are there any 'smokeless' two stroke oils out there? Or any two stroke oils that would safely let me drop the dilution rate down further?

Safely drop dilution rate, no. But 2 stroke oils containing PIB should be less smoke, or even smoke free.

Everyone will have their opinion on which 2 stroke oil they think is best, I personally use Royal Purple 2C in both a commercial Lawn-Boy engine as well as my Echo chainsaw. I run the same mix for both, 45:1. Other than just a hint on cold/choked startup, both run smoke-free and strong on the top end.

I have a Polaris 2 stroke ATV with oil injection. I don't trust the oil injection (even though it does work as I've confirmed multiple times) so I run 40:1 in the tank too.

It smokes a lot on startup, but even with as much oil as it's getting, it stops smoking once it's up to temperature.

I'm using lucas injector oil in the oil tank and mixing rural king (I believe, it's from Runnings) in the tank.

I have a Polaris 2 stroke ATV with oil injection. I don't trust the oil injection (even though it does work as I've confirmed multiple times) so I run 40:1 in the tank too.

It smokes a lot on startup, but even with as much oil as it's getting, it stops smoking once it's up to temperature.

I'm using lucas injector oil in the oil tank and mixing rural king (I believe, it's from Runnings) in the tank.
So are you still using the injection pump with the 40:1 ratio combined?? Why not just delete the injection pump all together and run premix?? I don’t trust them either so just eliminate them.

I don’t trust them either so just eliminate them.
Why don't you guys trust them? They've a very simple design, have been around for decades and between, snowmobiles, quads and motorcycles, folks have put zillions of trouble free miles on. I've personally put thousands of miles on snowmobiles with no issues.

Any EG-D or FD rated oil will be as smokeless as it gets. But remember, excessive smoke is due to tuning more than the oil ratio.

Also know that oil residue in the exhaust system can smoke off when hot, producing a nasty smelling exhaust.

32 to 1 is a good starting point for conventionally build 2 stroke engines. Less oil = more wear.

2strokegreta.jpg

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I tried to get some Amsoil Saber but it was £40 for a quart and was coming from India so didn’t know if I could trust it.

Ordered some Redline two stroke oil from a trusted reseller that I use regularly. They suggest starting at 50:1 so I’m going to give that a go.

Engines for these quads are £35 brand new so I’m not too concerned if I destroy one! :ROFLMAO:

What ratio do you think you are ending up at since you’re mixing and using the injection?

Note: The product called "Redline Racing Oil" has traditionally been devoid of corrosion inhibitors. Brass jets corrode fast, as do internal engine parts. It's a fine oil for racing. Unless it's changed, it's not the right choice. Redline makes other products that will work well.

Why don't you guys trust them? They've a very simple design, have been around for decades and between, snowmobiles, quads and motorcycles, folks have put zillions of trouble free miles on. I've personally put thousands of miles on snowmobiles with no issues.
It's just kinda a mental thing I guess. I know it does work but it's how slowly it goes down. I've seen one or two stories of people having them fail and die but I always wondered how much of that was someone running it dry and not bleeding it.

It's just kinda a mental thing I guess. I know it does work but it's how slowly it goes down. I've seen one or two stories of people having them fail and die but I always wondered how much of that was someone running it dry and not bleeding it.
Oh I hear ya on the mental thing - most of us have one or two things that we're like that with.

As for how slow the oil level goes down, the output of the pump varies by throttle opening. At idle or low throttle where the engine speed is low, power and heat production is down and where you're not loading the piston and crank, you really don't need much oil, but at wot, full tilt, it may be running a mixture closer to 20-30:1.

Back