SmartMeters and tinfoil crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they do more damage than you can think and transmit all kinds of personal information and some of it can be used to see when you are home..Burglars and stalkers like that im sure and if you have a pacemaker or other medical equipment it can cause issues. People sue over this stuff and win in court

The meters transmit your kWh usage. That's all they transmit. What personal information are you talking about?
They also tap into your wireless setup,steal bank,medical,financial,education, dog vaccination records!!! HAHAHAH

Just check out the latest issue of Consumer Reports
regarding smart appliances, which might include such things as electric meters.

I'm sure CR is just brimming with tin foil hat editors, right?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: exranger06
they do more damage than you can think and transmit all kinds of personal information and some of it can be used to see when you are home..Burglars and stalkers like that im sure and if you have a pacemaker or other medical equipment it can cause issues. People sue over this stuff and win in court

The meters transmit your kWh usage. That's all they transmit. What personal information are you talking about?
They also tap into your wireless setup,steal bank,medical,financial,education, dog vaccination records!!! HAHAHAH

not the dog vaccination records !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now, they've gone too far !!!

crazy....... - what is this "all kinds of personal information" that smart meters transmit ? how is that possible?
maybe it's an alien thing -- they're gathering data on humans before they invade earth.
methinks that the tinfoil hat is a weeeeeeee bit too tight.i keep mine loose.
at any rate, thanks for my morning bitog laugh.bitog never lets me down.
have a good day.

The thing to worry about stealing info is not smart meters but appliances that connect to the internet or to your smart phone. These are vulnerable to the theft of info through hacking into the wifi network.

Smart meters have the ability to report the electrical usage, in both directions if you have some sort of solar or wind power generation. And some will shut off loads but they must have s separate relay control module for the device being controlled.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
You guys say that the peak billing plans are not good?

So in Texas, we have Power to Choose, which is a state run website that lets you pick your supplier for electric.

I picked a big name company with a good rate (Reliant).

First year, I had a fixed rate which was fine.

Second year my contract expired, and I had the choice to renew at that rate or another plan they had or anyone else had.

I picked another reliant plan with the same electric rate as the fixed rate, but they throw in free electricity from 10pm-6am, and free electric for both weekend days.

This seems to work for me, and I can't find any gotchas with that plan. I will have to stick with it for a year and figure out if it was worth it.

Some of the companies on the power to choose website offer major scams. They give you a free nest thermostat, then give you a super high electric rate.

I wonder how many dummies do that to get a 200 dollar gizmo.

I think if you read the rates, and stay with a known company you can get a good deal.

Around here all the alternate supplies charge more than the local utility. I can't figure out how they stay in business.

So if a hacker finds out how much power you use, then what?

They could hack the analog meters too, by driving by every morning, and reading the dials with binoculars.

The thing is, SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TO CARE.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Is it just laziness on the part of manufacturer of the smart meters or is there something fundamental limitation that I am missing?

If you are interested, google Neptune e-coder for fascinating read.

This kind of tech dates back to late 1990's when I used in work in this specific field. The solutions are extremely low tech in general and the balance of town may be using this old tech.

One reason for pulse is this stuff lives in your basement with likely poor radio reception. The 14 second pulse gives ample oppurtunity for a transmission to make it out even if few misses as a recection vehicle drives by one just has to make it. The send and receive miss rate is likely higher. Remember this is late 1990's tech and power consumption was not a high consideration factor then either as it is now, especially with homeowner footing bill.

what about the millions stolen from banks and alll those credit card numbers that are stolen every day is that a myth also i won't argue nor will i have a smart meter because i am too smart for that.

this is completely different from the topic here of smart meters at your house reporting electricity or water usage back to the utility company wirelessly.
those smart meters interface in no way with your computer system at home that you use for online shopping with your credit card or bank account. the smart meter for water/electricity only transmits info that the utility company can "decipher" for lack of a better word. the RF signal transmitted is not data giving away your name, address, and so on. if it was then the utility company has to program every meter before it goes to someone's house, then when the homeowner changes they have to reprogram the meter again, and again, which is silly. the smart meters only transmit some unique meter identifier along with the value for usage of electric/water. that unique meter identifier means nothing to anyone except the water company who has it in their database as First/Last name at address, and it's in the utility companies database where your personal information resides along with payment information. That is where you would hack in order to make money, not at a homeowner's smart meter.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The van would turn on every meter on the street.
So? Why would that be an issue? Every meter has its own MAC id and transmits using spread spectrum and random frequency hopping. I mean if you know anything about Ethernet and WiFi, this is NOT much different than that.

And you can design a receiver to distinguish among all the signals transmitting at once? I I may not know as much as a computer geeko about "wifi" but I do know a bit about transmitters, receivers and antenna systems.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Is it just laziness on the part of manufacturer of the smart meters or is there something fundamental limitation that I am missing?

If you are interested, google Neptune e-coder for fascinating read.

This kind of tech dates back to late 1990's when I used in work in this specific field. The solutions are extremely low tech in general and the balance of town may be using this old tech.

One reason for pulse is this stuff lives in your basement with likely poor radio reception. The 14 second pulse gives ample oppurtunity for a transmission to make it out even if few misses as a recection vehicle drives by one just has to make it. The send and receive miss rate is likely higher. Remember this is late 1990's tech and power consumption was not a high consideration factor then either as it is now, especially with homeowner footing bill.
I would like it a lot if the transmitter were powered ABOVE the meter. Another hidden little gouge at the consumer not reflected on the bill.

The van would turn on every meter on the street.
So? Why would that be an issue? Every meter has its own MAC id and transmits using spread spectrum and random frequency hopping. I mean if you know anything about Ethernet and WiFi, this is NOT much different than that.

And you can design a receiver to distinguish among all the signals transmitting at once? I I may not know as much as a computer geeko about "wifi" but I do know a bit about transmitters, receivers and antenna systems.
Can you imagine how many receivers are there in a crowded place? Do you know how many wireless devices a typical suburban home has it, all surfing at the same time? Do you know how many cellphones some people have in their pocket at one time? Isn't it amazing that things actually work?

Really, what is that you are worried about?

I have a smart meter. It's been a real world problem.

They did test it after installation. It can and does disconnect my house "on command".

FPL had some sort of problem and my smart meter was disconnecting my house at one minute intervals. It did this for quite some time. I got tired of it and simply shut the main off. No need to keep cycling the power on my appliances and AV equipment.

I very occasionally lose power for a bit, while my next door neighbors power is on. It then comes back, without trouble, after about 20 minutes. I'd guess they are load shedding or some other load management problem.

I don't like it. Never had a problem with the conventional meter.

post your make and model of "smart meter".

what is the definition you people are going with for smart meter?

because if at most it connects to only electrical power then it's not a problem.

but if your smart meter must have an internet connection and connects through your home internet router or connects to your home wifi then that's a whole different story. you then have another computer on your home network and that can be a problem.

Quote:
but if your smart meter must have an internet connection and connects through your home internet router or connects to your home wifi then that's a whole different story. you then have another computer on your home network and that can be a problem.
How do they do that? Do they ask permission or just hack in to my router and steal the internet? Given the tin foil hats that we are all wearing, that seems to be the most logical answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back