Smaller versus Bigger - Smashups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Ever tried cutting across a four lane freeway in a large city during rush hour with everyone going 55-75 mph and not get hit by one single car?

I did and logically speaking I should have been t-boned on the driver's side in my Honda Civic and have been severely injured or in a better place. But I'm here typing. It's called faith, and nowhere did I say do something that is self-destructive so please don't put words in my mouth. We're talking about small and large cars.

Oh and some people do self destructive things and some of those some live until a ripe old age.

It is not really clear to me if by "It's called faith" you actually mean that you could do something completely dangerous - I am more concerned about the danger to others driving in the "four lane freeway in a large city during rush hour with everyone going 55-75 mph" - with impunity because of your religious belief structure. Do the other drivers have to share yor faith to remain safe? What if they are Presbyterians or Catholics or Buddhists or whoever your faith considers heretics?

Anyhow the whole big car/ small car debate is filled with partial truths. All things being equal, a bigger car will be safer than a small car. The physics of force and inertia and all. But all things are not equal. Design helps. Materials help. Safety features can help. More on that later.

But the conclusion that just because somebody else is driving a big unwieldy boat means that you have to drive something bigger is - of course - insane and leads to improbably stupid things. Like the Escalade.

And to pick up your lane slashing excursion... five years ago I was driving about 70 mph on one of the largest highways in my city. I was passed by a guy in a Smart car doing about 85. I recall thinking "the smart car can do 85?". After an interchange with the largest highway around, a flatbed truck tried to rapidly move across five lanes of traffic to exit at the next exit. He did not see me.

I was sideswiped in the rear quarter, spun around, then T-Boned by the same truck then spun across 3 lanes of traffic and stopped by a concrete median. As I rotated around I remember thinking "if no one in these three lanes hits me with too great a speed differential, I will be okay, but if anyone is coming fast enough to not avoid me I am dead". Maybe that is my version of faith.

Anyhow, as approached the median I was able to regain some minor control of steering such that i backed into the median almost straight backwards while braking, not that braking mattered much, I was just reacting.

Ten seconds after I came to a stop I had my laptop outt and started typing up details for insurance or police reports while they were fresh in mind. I was completely un-harmed.

My car was a late 1980s vintage and weighed about 2,900 pounds. I drive hatchback cars that are under 3000 pounds and under 102 inch or so wheelbase, not because I want to save money on gas but because they handle well. I don't drive enormous trucks, not because I think they are wasteful of gas, but because they feel like couches on wheels and handle about as well. And while I have no real requirement for a work truck - as many do - you would be amazed at how much you can fit into a small car, if it is that most hated of American forms - the hatchback!

So what allowed me to survive unscathed:
Precision German engineering built to take crashes at race speeds.
Very low center of gravity - car much wider and longer than it is tall. (remember everyone's physics lessons above).
Canadian market car from 1989 had no frontal airbag to break my nose, thow my hands off the wheel and obscure my vision, and would have done no good in ths type of crash.
Luck. There was no huge truck doing 70 mph in the lanes I spun across while I spun across them.
Charity. There was a commercial driver in a 24 or 28 foot box truck who saw this happen and pulled in behind me to block any traffic from hitting me where I came to rest.
My car's seats. OEMed for the manufacturer by Recaro. Tons of support and bolstering. I do think that side curtain airbags are a really great safety feature to prevent head on window impact, but I was astonished that despite my head being about 3 inches from the window in normal driving, i never came close to impacting.
Driving position. Legs in position to extend fully while retaining some flex. Arms extended but with a bit of flex. Two hands on the wheel. No elbow out the window, no wrist draped lazily over some steering wheel with GM mush power steering. No sitting two inches away from the wheel. Not tilted and telescoped within an inch of its life.

I was driving a Porsche 944. These things are built like you would not believe.

My first thought was If I was driving that "Smart" car that passed me about 30 seconds before I would be dead. It would have flipped and rolled. I have seen the frame of the Smart car and it is an impressive piece of engineering. But there are limits.

A Chrysler mini van would have flipped. A ford explorer would have flipped. A toyota RAV 4 would have flipped. You might have survived in those cars due to the margins imposed by mass, but they all would have flipped.

But I survived, completely unharmed in a much smaller car.

And something for those of you who actually give flying #@*& about anyone else on the road, the guy who hit me wasn't looking properly, in part because he has been conditioned by all the enormous vehicles on the road.

And my car? While it was written off as a road car, it has been rebuilt as a race car. Try doing that with your Smart Car or Civic or Crown Vic or Explorer or Escalade or whatever.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Ever tried cutting across a four lane freeway in a large city during rush hour with everyone going 55-75 mph and not get hit by one single car?

Yes, it's entirely possible to do that without getting hit by one single car. It's not faith, it's skill. At least if you expect to do it more than once.

Originally Posted By: Win

This makes me think the "small cars avoid crashes that large cars can't" argument is an article of faith that has no evidence to back it up. If there was any, with insurance being a very competitive business, the premiums for the eligible cars would reflect it.

The premiums for my Saab 93 reflect it's safety (vehicle safety discount), the propensity for the average driver of the Saab 93 to not cause accidents (liability rating index), and the cost to repair it/how likely it is be stolen (damage and theft index).

The VSD is 30% on the Saab 93. Max is 40% for any vehicle.

The LRI is B. A is best, E is worst.

The DTI is C, which is average.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/veh_rating/saab.asp

Originally Posted By: brianl703

The premiums for my Saab 93 reflect it's safety (vehicle safety discount), the propensity for the average driver of the Saab 93 to not cause accidents (liability rating index), and the cost to repair it/how likely it is be stolen (damage and theft index).

The VSD is 30% on the Saab 93. Max is 40% for any vehicle.

The LRI is B. A is best, E is worst.

The DTI is C, which is average.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/veh_rating/saab.asp

The State Farm data is useless. I just looked up Toyota in there and Yaris 2 door is rated C while Yaris 4 door is rated E (same as FJ). Explain that!

The State Farm data is based on actual claims history. The only explanation is that the drivers of Yaris 4-doors (and FJ Cruisers) are involved in more at-fault accidents with higher damage amounts than are Yaris 2-doors.

I wasn't aware that there is a Yaris 2-door, if this is a vehicle that has just come out then there may not be enough claims history for them to give it the [censored]-poor rating it probably will end up with over time (the ratings are updated at least once a year).

OVERK1LLI was in shock (and incredibly angry said:
My wife's sister-in-law rolled her Explorer 3 yrs ago in a singlle-vehicle accident.

She lost control on a wet residential road, spun out and rolled it into several trees. Broke her leg in 3 places and emergency crews needed to remove the roof to get her out,

Completely totalled the Explorer.

I've spun out in bad weather in small cars probably 5 times now that I can recall (Saab 96 once, Saab Sonett three times, Honda) Prelude twice) and even took out a cement porch in a Saab Sonett when I fell asleep at 60mph on a back road. No injuries in any of them, and the only time I didn't drive away was when I totalled the Sonett with the porch.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The State Farm data is based on actual claims history. The only explanation is that the drivers of Yaris 4-doors (and FJ Cruisers) are involved in more at-fault accidents with higher damage amounts than are Yaris 2-doors.

I wasn't aware that there is a Yaris 2-door, if this is a vehicle that has just come out then there may not be enough claims history for them to give it the [censored]-poor rating it probably will end up with over time (the ratings are updated at least once a year).

I have a four-door Yaris, and indeed, had a hike in my insurance costs (even considering I live in Canada).

The two-door Yaris has been around since '07 in the states, the four-door was just introduced this year.

DON'T FORGET. The rear seats of a four-door Yaris are likely filled more often with passengers. Those seats sit about eight inches forward of the rear hatch.

Originally Posted By: kreigle
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
was in shock (and incredibly angry, since I had never been in an accident and the old bugger driving the Vic had run a stop sign) as to the rather minimal damage to the Explorer given the severity of the impact. The Firefighter told me not to be surprised, he sees it all the time, they fair very well in accidents.

My wife's sister-in-law rolled her Explorer 3 yrs ago in a singlle-vehicle accident.

She lost control on a wet residential road, spun out and rolled it into several trees. Broke her leg in 3 places and emergency crews needed to remove the roof to get her out,

Completely totalled the Explorer.

I've spun out in bad weather in small cars probably 5 times now that I can recall (Saab 96 once, Saab Sonett three times, Honda) Prelude twice) and even took out a cement porch in a Saab Sonett when I fell asleep at 60mph on a back road. No injuries in any of them, and the only time I didn't drive away was when I totalled the Sonett with the porch.

I think the rolling it into several trees was probably the key part of your post there.....

This was a T-bone accident. Front of Explorer vs side of Crown Vic.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
For what it's worth:

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/teepa/pdf/TRB_Safety_1-03.pdf

They conclude that weight is not the primary issue - it's the quality of design.

Excellent read.

Quote:
Summary of Findings
•Average midsize and large cars have same risk to drivers as average SUV
•Safest subcompact and compact cars have same risk to driver as average SUV
•Pickups and SUVs (and minivans) impose high risks on other drivers because of their incompatibility with cars
•Average subcompact and compact cars have similar combined risk as average SUV
•Driver behavior influences what we call risk
—low risk to drivers of minivans and high risk to drivers of sports cars
•Driver sex and age do not appear to influence our main findings by vehicle model
•However, other driver characteristics or environmental conditions(rather than vehicle design) may explain some of our findings
•Quality of vehicle design appears to be a better predictor of risk than vehicle weight

Amen and end of discussion.

The eye opener was the chart of risk in domestic vs import cars. Quite a difference. Some of that is technology and most of it is quality of drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back