Sludge removers...... worth the effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Leave it alone. That's easy. 4-5k OCI.

Agreed.

You are in Lincoln, It'll be "15W-40 HDEO" weather for several months yet. Do a couple road trips.

DON'T ADD any weird stuff to your oil. Just a couple ounces of MMO won't hurt anything, But I wouldn't dump in a whole bottle.

I've had very good luck with BG109 (EPR) slowly cleaning an engine. I run HDEO and a full can of 109 for 5,000 mile oil changes. Known slightly sludged engines look great in about 5 oil changes when I do the new valve cover gaskets, valley gaskets, etc. Frees lifters and rings, so you will get a little better performance. Slightly more aggressive than MMO
smile.gif

BG109 (EPR) falls somewhere between KREEN and MMO in effectiveness.

KREEN is pretty aggressive, so I'd be doing 3,000 changes with it and running oversized filter
smile.gif

thanks for all the info... Its a blast just shifting again.. (it has a 5spd manual) think I'll go the MMO route..
It hasn't been using oil yet.......so.... I figure don't fiddle just to DO something.

k

oh don't I know it....... [censored] thing is HEAVY.. unfortunately its a 8ft box.. and I ain't moving anybody!

Originally Posted By: kafka45
thanks for all the info... Its a blast just shifting again.. (it has a 5spd manual) think I'll go the MMO route..
It hasn't been using oil yet.......so.... I figure don't fiddle just to DO something.

k

How do you know it is sludged? Did you pull a valve cover? If it were mine, I would just put a quality 5W-30 oil in and drive it. Keep an eye on it to see if it is using oil. Depending on what you find, go from there if you see any problems.

I use an HDEO 10w30 or 15w40 + 20-25% MMO in the summers to do a good cleaning in the summer months. Has always worked great for me.

Only use a oil additive if you have a problem you're looking to fix. Do put some good PEA fuel injection cleaner in the tank, in succession back to back if neglected. Enjoy your truck.

The 3.9 engine makes the oil look dirty soon even when new; just something about it.
I would just change the oil regularly and not put any additives in it.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Head over to wally and get a jug of Chevron for 11.77 and swing by Napa/O'Reilly and pick up a wix/gold filter and call it a day.

Incredible! Just buying the oil and filter does the trick, right? I'm on it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back