Sludge and Facebook's infinite wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Pennzoil is our country's #1 seller, because it sludges-up engines the most.
Now that makes a-lot of sense................................................. NOT!

Funny! Oil based Eye Black & moisturizer .

Originally Posted by Railrust
Honestly, is there any oil that sludges nowadays? The only sludge I've seen is from neglect or an engine that overheated because of cooling system problems.

Honda VCM V6s back when they were recommending 5W-20. Many were following the oil-life monitor using API SM 5W-20 and finding drivability issues from the sludge. Looked like this:

[Linked Image]

Interesting I have a 2004 Odyssey V6 engine on a stand (we removed it last week). We took it all apart - van had 220,000 miles - it was donated because the engine's water pump seized. The undersides of the Pistons had a lot of carbon under them, the oil control rings were full of soot, but under the valve covers were pretty fine.

I don't know if the oil rings got like that because the engine may have overheated or what? But it was bad.

In all honesty though, I have never seen a sludged up Honda engine. I've seen carbon in the EGR tubes and just what I saw on this engine. Didn't realize they have had sludge problems do to extended drains on 0w20.

Speaking of Pennzoil, received my rebate check in the mail today. Piece of cake, probably took three weeks. Pretty happy with them.

All in all I ended up paying $24 for 10 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20.

$2.40 a quart, you can't really beat that.

Honestly, is there any oil that sludges nowadays? The only sludge I've seen is from neglect or an engine that overheated because of cooling system problems.

Honda VCM V6s back when they were recommending 5W-20. Many were following the oil-life monitor using API SM 5W-20 and finding drivability issues from the sludge. Looked like this:

[Linked Image]

Interesting I have a 2004 Odyssey V6 engine on a stand (we removed it last week). We took it all apart - van had 220,000 miles - it was donated because the engine's water pump seized. The undersides of the Pistons had a lot of carbon under them, the oil control rings were full of soot, but under the valve covers were pretty fine.

I don't know if the oil rings got like that because the engine may have overheated or what? But it was bad.

In all honesty though, I have never seen a sludged up Honda engine. I've seen carbon in the EGR tubes and just what I saw on this engine. Didn't realize they have had sludge problems do to extended drains on 0w20.

I never heard of sludging problems on 0W-20. It was pretty much on conventional 5W-20.

Pennzoil/QS hasn't used PA crude since Shell bought them both up! Lol, some real morons in the world for sure.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
"Facebook" and "wisdom" do not belong in the same sentence together, ever.

What about: "He excercised infinite wisdom by avoiding Facebook like the dirty, disease infested hooker she is?"

I'd give that guy mad props.

My 06 Odyssey had lived probably half of its life in Indiana (but about 85% of the mileage) and the other half in Arizona. I'm almost certain it received conventional its whole life until I got it at 134k, and I am not exactly sure when OCIs were done, I would imagine by OLM. I could not see any "sludge" like the first J35 pics; mine definitely looked like the J30 however, with a solid, consistent coat of varnish on everything I could see. I ran two back-to-back OCIs with Kreen at 1k each and did not see any significant change in the level of visible varnish, so I took that as a sign that it was not a big worry. It ran only PP 5W20 and PP Euro 0W40 for about 35k (5 OCI), then ran an OCI of Delo XLE 10W30 and one of Castrol 5W30 A3/B4, and I put in PUP 5W20 just before I gave it to my stepson at 183k. I put on a VCM tuner around 140k, and while the varnish is still there, I can easily knock down 25.5-26mpg on highway drives even with VCM off. I still think "ugly" sludge/buildup is more a function of neglect than anything else with how good today's oils are, VAG engines notwithstanding.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
. . .

Yes, they ALL will sludge up, even a good modern "synthetic". Every single oil out there has a limit in a given application. Our responsibility as reasonable owners and maintainers is to NOT find that limit. Don't let your guard down! I know, here of all places, I'm "preachin' to the choir..."

Best post in the thread here by ekpolk. ALL oil can sludge if the conditions are right. I can guarantee old school engines sludged because of lack of maintenance,poor engine/carb design,or engine problems. I knew people back in the day who drove 70s era cars and they'd never change the oil,only keep it topped off.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by ekpolk
. . .

Yes, they ALL will sludge up, even a good modern "synthetic". Every single oil out there has a limit in a given application. Our responsibility as reasonable owners and maintainers is to NOT find that limit. Don't let your guard down! I know, here of all places, I'm "preachin' to the choir..."

Best post in the thread here by ekpolk. ALL oil can sludge if the conditions are right. I can guarantee old school engines sludged because of lack of maintenance,poor engine/carb design,or engine problems. I knew people back in the day who drove 70s era cars and they'd never change the oil,only keep it topped off.

I also know a lot of people would put a bigger carburetor on those engines, without tuning, thinking they could make more power with it. The engine would run pig rich, like .80 lambda at idle and .70 at WOT, and dump a lot of excess fuel into the oil. The oil would be done for by 1k miles and they'd keep thrashing it for 4-5k.

A friend of mine regularly runs his oil a few thousand kilometers over the OLM / recommended interval in the manual under regular duty. The one is a Kia Sorrento with direct injection and the other is a new Mazda CX-5 which is still on the factory fill and it should have been changed 3k ago. He did this with his Chrysler 300 he just traded in on the CX-5 and it had high mileage on it.

I wouldn't do it without doing a UOA to see what is possible but he did it with conventional oil.
21.gif

One has to be very brave to run a skyactive engine past the recommended OCI on a factory fill. Did he just not want his warranty or something? Also they run 13:1, are known fuel diluters and oh yeah their VVT systems are kinda weak, hope he's the lucky sort.

Originally Posted by GZRider
One has to be very brave to run a skyactive engine past the recommended OCI on a factory fill. Did he just not want his warranty or something? Also they run 13:1, are known fuel diluters and oh yeah their VVT systems are kinda weak, hope he's the lucky sort.

They're lots of people running cheaper oil at fast oil change places that do high mileage on all makes and models. They don't know anything about fuel dilution or even how to check their oil. Thing is they drive them for years and hundreds of thousands of miles .

Where do you get this drivel about weak VVT systems from? Fascbook?

Pimtac- No personal experience, once upon a time I worked sales for one of their dealerships, that and owning a lot of their products over the years. I like Mazda, I've personally owned an 05 Mazda6 3.0 wagon, an 09 Mazda3 sedan, an 07 CX-7 turbo and a 06 Speed6 (RIP) and got to use a 15 3S Touring for a few months too. The new Skyactive's require you to be somewhat meticulous in your OCI's and use the correct viscosity oil (think it's 0w-20). If a lubeshop puts in 5w-20 or 5w-30 semi syn in on accident or you go 3,000-5,000 miles over the OCI, it could have issues. Whereas the old i4 and 3.0 v6 Mazda once made were extremely hard to kill via neglect or a single shady oil change. I still think Mazda makes some of the best looking and driving FWD (and AWD) cars and SUV's on the market, and hope they continue to improve their designs and return to some of their sports car roots too.

Pimtac- No personal experience, once upon a time I worked sales for one of their dealerships, that and owning a lot of their products over the years. I like Mazda, I've personally owned an 05 Mazda6 3.0 wagon, an 09 Mazda3 sedan, an 07 CX-7 turbo and a 06 Speed6 (RIP) and got to use a 15 3S Touring for a few months too. The new Skyactive's require you to be somewhat meticulous in your OCI's and use the correct viscosity oil (think it's 0w-20). If a lubeshop puts in 5w-20 or 5w-30 semi syn in on accident or you go 3,000-5,000 miles over the OCI, it could have issues. Whereas the old i4 and 3.0 v6 Mazda once made were extremely hard to kill via neglect or a single shady oil change. I still think Mazda makes some of the best looking and driving FWD (and AWD) cars and SUV's on the market, and hope they continue to improve their designs and return to some of their sports car roots too.

That could be said for most modern engines. Neglect will be hard since most engines today are complicated compared to 20-30 years ago or more.

The SkyActiv engines use 0w20 in the US but in other regions they use 5w30. Mine runs very smooth on the 0w20.

That 3.0 V6 goes back a ways.

A former Toyota Tech I work with swears he had customers who would decline oil changes and would run their cars past 20K miles on the factory fill because being a Toyota it does not need oil and filter changes.

Originally Posted by dave1251
A former Toyota Tech I work with swears he had customers who would decline oil changes and would run their cars past 20K miles on the factory fill because being a Toyota it does not need oil and filter changes.

I think it was for a Honda Civic (or was it Accord), but there was this one TV commercial that said "So reliable, you could weld the hood shut." It showed someone with a torch wearing welder's googles literally welding the hood shut. Then a lot of fine print disclaimers saying that actually doing it was a bad idea.

dave1251 said:
I think it was for a Honda Civic (or was it Accord), but there was this one TV commercial that said "So reliable, you could weld the hood shut." It showed someone with a torch wearing welder's googles literally welding the hood shut. Then a lot of fine print disclaimers saying that actually doing it was a bad idea.

Haha I remember that commercial!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Maybe we can get a mod to change his name from PPWarrior to KBWarrior.

His posts are remarkably similar to the behavior of seagulls... he swoops in, craps on everybody with no rhyme or reason, and flies away.

Neglect is the only thing that caused what is seen in those pics. That utter stupidity is why I avoid social media entirely.

So true!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back