Slovenliness Will Cost You

Customer called me about a leak into his kitchen cabinet. Water was leaking from the base of the faucet on to the counter where the water was very visible and then making its way down. How do you miss that unless you don't clean up spilled water on the countertop? From the mold in the cabinet the leak must have been going on for weeks. It is one thing if the leak is behind a wall and not visible, but this was in plain sight, right on the countertop. Him and his wife figured out something was wrong when they smelled the mold.

KK.JPGKK1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Moen faucet using the 1255 cartridge and it has a pattern failure where the cartridge retaining nut works loose and water starts leaking. Unfortunately Moen has seen fit to not address this issue though it has been going on close to a decade. As you can see, it can cause a lot of damage. Now my customer is looking for a drywaller to replace the moldy drywall behind the cabinet. That is not going to be cheap. It is in a highrise and work takes longer, with restricted hours and hauling tools and materials up the elevator.
There, I am denigrating Moen now.

Last edited:
Back