Silverado Differentials---Not on Maintenance Sche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: lukejo
Transmission fluid,filter, and transfer case are of course listed at intervals on the maintenance schedule. However, neither differential is listed...even under severe duty out to 150,000 miles?

Manufacturers know best ??
Oh no, I wouldn't trust one.

Your right...the "shade tree" mechanics on BITOG know so much more than the guys who design them and put them together......

......... that's fit for 100K miles, I suppose ?
Haven't you
seen million mile differentials, do you?

Do we have any of those with vehicles ACTUALLY OWNED by BITOG members? However-other than OTR trucks they are not going to last a million miles. Just as a GENERAL RULE the rest of the power train won't either. I don't care how often you change fluids. Yea I know there are one or two exceptions on YOUtube....

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Supposedly the 11.5 AAM will burn the paint off the diff cover towing heavy. Mine still looks new, so I don't know. I don't tow heavy though

That was me....To be more clear, I was several thousand pounds overweight pulling full throttle up a looooong grade in Colorado. Do stupid things....Win stupid prizes!!
The diff is still going at 370,000+ miles with all the original parts besides the Dodge H.O. aluminum cover & several lube changes

No rear axle service is listed for my truck either. I had to replace a leaky wheel hub oil seal and had to drop the diffy cover to disengage the axle shaft, so I took the opportunity to change the oil and filled it back up with Mobil 75W90 synthetic. Also took the opportunity to install a drain plug on the cover so that if I change the oil again I do not have to take the cover off.

Originally Posted By: CKN
lukejo said:
Transmission fluid,filter, and transfer case are of course listed at intervals on the maintenance schedule. However, neither differential is listed...even under severe duty out to 150,000 miles?

Manufacturers know best ??
Oh no, I wouldn't trust one.

Your right...the "shade tree" mechanics on BITOG know so much more than the guys who design them and put them together......

A) https://www.plowsite.com/threads/rear-differential-issues-04-silverado-2500.134212/ ,
Quote:
Rear differential issues: 04 Silverado 2500
Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NickT, Jan 31, 2012.
I have a " clunking" noise sometimes when I go from R to D or D to R., so I thought maybe a U joint needed replaced. The mechanic is telling me the u joints are fine, that the noise was coming from the rear end. After pulling the cover off and inspecting they said the fluid has shavings in it, and there is play in the gears. No teeth broken. My question is, can the rear end be rebuilt or is the cost equal to replace it with a used one with less miles?

Quote:
My 04 doing the same thing
eek.gif
But had my 1 to the trans shop like 5 times now and they keep saying wate tell it brakes lol

B)...https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t43176_ds675205
Quote:
Any problems with 2500 hd rear axle?
Asked by Richard Aug 07, 2015 at 11:41 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab SB

2012 2500hd, 28k miles carrier bearings and 48k miles, all rear bearings replaced. Pull 8500 lb travel trailers across country..........

C)....http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/62724-2500hd-da-rear-end-problemnoise/ ,
among others

Quote:
2500HD D/A rear end problem/noise
Started by dave m, Feb 26 2007 12:21 PM
I have a 2006 2500HD with the D/A option. At 40,600 miles the rear-end starting making a very loud noise. In an attempt to track the noise down, I inspected the rear end and there were no visible signs of a problem. My next stop was to my Chevy local dealer for repairs. They found that the smaller of the two pinion bearings had been starved of oil and had be come so hot it had "welded' it's self together. The dealer replaced both the pinion bearings and the load washer between them at no charge and no hassle from me.

D)..
E)..

Differentials are one of the most overlooked maintenance item, which is a shame because some of them are extremely easy to service with both fill and drain plugs.

They work fine and go unnoticed until you have a seal leak and the fluid gets too low. Keep them topped off, and they will last the life of the vehicle. Change the fluid, and the seals will last longer so you won't have leaks in the first place.

My guess is differentials aren't in the service schedule because they last the lifetime of the vehicle... or until they fail, which would warrant an expensive enough repair that would sway most to buy a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I had an unusual experience when I changed my 2012 Silverado rear oil with 25K miles. It came out looking almost black and looked like it should have been changed sooner. I used non-syn 80W-90 to replace the original oil. Truck has the G-80 locking differential.

Change it again - synthetic fluid with the proper limited slip additive is required. It is filled new with synthetic and according to the axle supplier at my plant is a "lifetime fill". With that being said, I still changed my diffs out at 40k using mobil 1 fluids which have the additive in it but I still added the GM stuff to be certain.

The G80 is not a limited slip differential and does not need the additive. I did not add it when I changed the axle oil in my truck. I did use Mobil 1 75W-90.

Originally Posted By: George7941
The G80 is not a limited slip differential and does not need the additive. I did not add it when I changed the axle oil in my truck. I did use Mobil 1 75W-90.

G80 is limited slip. I work for GM and see them everyday. The optional locking differential (RPO G80) enhances the traction capability of the rear axle by combining the characteristics of a limited-slip differential and the ability of the axle shafts to "lock" together when uneven traction surfaces exist.

Good choice in fluid change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My guess is differentials aren't in the service schedule because they last the lifetime of the vehicle...

Your guess is as real as truth for there are 1970's differentials with periodic OCI that ARE still operating today.
Modern differentials made of modern materials in vehicles with modern computerised controls recommending modern gear oils other than 80W90/xW140 .......
ARE whining and breaking despite advancements in modern oil (additive) technology ......, at times with period OCI's.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
The g80 in my escalade and in my past GM trucks are lockers. Not limited slip. I never used the limited slip additive. Zero issues.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
G80 is limited slip. I work for GM and see them everyday. The optional locking differential (RPO G80) enhances the traction capability of the rear axle by combining the characteristics of a limited-slip differential and the ability of the axle shafts to "lock" together when uneven traction surfaces exist.

Good choice in fluid change.

The Gov-lok has a clutch pack like a limited slip but the clutch pack is only used to lock the two axle shafts together. It happens in less than a second and is a locker from then on and hence there is no need for the limited slip additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back