silicone spray rubber to extend life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
*I don't believe everything I see and read on internet. This video shows a mechanic lightly spraying silicone spray on the intake (outside) of an air filter. Mechanic claims that it collects dust more efficiently. I know in essence, that's what K&N does, but I'm strictly OEM for parts. For us OCD who do UOA.

Would this increase silicates? Does it help efficiency of air filters? What about the Mass Air Sensor? Does silicone degrade the filter paper? Not sure about petroleum distillates.

Video Link

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

It's the same theory as oiling a foam filter for a dirt bike or atv, but like you mentioned, is it safe to do on a vehicle?
21.gif

I tried and tried to find a Fram Tough Guard air filter for my truck and wife's car but had zero luck. Fram's claim is the filter is pre-oiled, which I like the sounds of and is the main reason why I wanted a couple.

I do believe the pre-oiling works, just like the guy shows/talks about in his video, but like you, I don't think I'd go ahead and do that unless I knew for sure the spray would not have any ill effects on anything else?
http://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/air-filters/fram-tough-guardsup-sup-air-filter/

Maybe this is why Fram, by the looks/sounds of things, no longer has this filter available? Maybe it is not compatible with all vehicles? Likely a stretch, but it certainly makes one wonder why everyone has a hard time finding them?

Originally Posted By: Pajero
*I don't believe everything I see and read on internet. This video shows a mechanic lightly spraying silicone spray on the intake (outside) of an air filter. Mechanic claims that it collects dust more efficiently. I know in essence, that's what K&N does, but I'm strictly OEM for parts. For us OCD who do UOA.

Would this increase silicates? Does it help efficiency of air filters? What about the Mass Air Sensor? Does silicone degrade the filter paper? Not sure about petroleum distillates.

Video Link

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I heard a long time ago that silicone can mess up sensor readings. Don't know if it's true but I wouldn't do that.

Last edited:
I would use silicone on weatherstrip rubber but not a spray. Some sprays contain a solvent carrier that can do damage to parts the base product wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Napa Sil-Glyde. It takes some rubbing to get it on the rubber but it lasts. For div>

Syl-Glyde is good for all sorts of lube needs.

I wouldn't put brake slide lube on cv boots. Being a silicon grease, it will attract all kinds of dirt and grit. That won't help to preserve them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I use LPS water-based silicone spray spring and fall on weather stripping. Works great and seems to keep the seals pliable and prevents doors from freezing shut in winter. Avoid cheap solvent-based products.

LPS Heavy Duty Silicone Spray

This is the right stuff.

I use LPS water-based silicone spray spring and fall on weather stripping. Works great and seems to keep the seals pliable and prevents doors from freezing shut in winter. Avoid cheap solvent-based products.

That is good to know. We use LPS lubes at work, mostly LPS-2 but occasionally use LPS-3 as well. I recently just sprayed down our work snow blower using the LPS-3 but I had no idea it was water based?

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Thanks for that! I didn't know there was a water based product spray.

Originally Posted By: irv

That is good to know. We use LPS lubes at work, mostly LPS-2 but occasionally use LPS-3 as well. I recently just sprayed down our work snow blower using the LPS-3 but I had no idea it was water based?

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Their spray silicone is water based. The LPS2 lube and LPS3 corrosion protector are petroleum based.

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Their spray silicone is water based. The LPS2 lube and LPS3 corrosion protector are petroleum based.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking what you spoke of was the LP3 fluid.
11.gif

Silicone will definitely help rubber last longer. A lot of cosmetics products women use contain silicone. The only problem is that automotive silicone either stinks or leaves a little too much oily residue.

A better solution I found is to use Aerospace 303 or equivalent. Not only it conditions rubber, but it also smells nice and has electrostatic properties to repel dust.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Silicone will definitely help rubber last longer. A lot of cosmetics products women use contain silicone. The only problem is that automotive silicone either stinks or leaves a little too much oily residue.

A better solution I found is to use Aerospace 303 or equivalent. Not only it conditions rubber, but it also smells nice and has electrostatic properties to repel dust.

If it works on women's faces, then it has to be good for my door seals!

But really. I'll look into that 303 stuff. Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

303 has a specific product for door seals and the like. I am just curious how much of a difference there is compared to their non specific formula?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-30324-Rub...-fl-oz/45626482

I think a lot of the failures were on turbos before the started water cooling them.

With a good synthetic oil and water cooling they should last as long as the car.

outer CV joint boots are now pretty much made of thermalplastics, and granted that it's not cut or altered by mechanical means (or road debris), they are suppose to last the service life of the vehicle.

The days of neoprene CV boots are pretty much over. No need to dwell on the subjects RE: coating the boots with 303 or silicone spray to extend their service life.

(*utter waste of time*)

Q.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

303 has a specific product for door seals and the like. I am just curious how much of a difference there is compared to their non specific formula?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-30324-Rub...-fl-oz/45626482

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back