Should I use them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just kidding. But found these today at a habitat for humanity store I bought the k mart one for the garage

Montgomery Ward? That has not been around since like 2001, and I am sure the filter is way before that.
I would bet all those filters came from the same garage, so probably all the same age, but that is an interesting looking container for the K-Mart filter.
I would have walked up to the front with all of them and said "$10 for all?" then cut them open just to see what they look like.

It would have been interesting to cut all those old filters open just to see how they were constructed, and what shape the guts were in.

Kmart oil filters were thinly disguised Purolators. I used many of them, cut apart maybe half, and never found a problem except anti-drainback valves that leaked after they had been a few thousand miles.

I remember the 1980's Wal-Mart house brand filters (think they were called "Tech 2000" back then) came in the same type of clear dome packaging as that K-Mart filter. Do not recall who made them nor care back then either.

If they were cheap enough I would take all just for the cut. I was a thrift shop not too long ago and found some ancient Fram OCODs. They wanted $5 a piece and all were rusted.

FWIW, I found 4 OEM Nissan filters at a non-profit thrift shop that caters to teachers, they were the older blue can made in Japan and fit anything that took a Fram PH3682/Wix 51361 filter - mostly older Nissans and Subarus. I used one and gave the rest to someone here when my parents got rid of the car that used them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back