Should I buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the local Wal*Mart today, and they have a 5L jug of Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck 5w40. The thing that caught my eye is it was a CI-4+, not a CJ-4.

I have read a few articles about the CJ-4 oils, and I'm not impressed. I am under the impression that CI-4+ oils are actually better for a non-dpf equipped engine like my 5.9L Cummins.

They seem to be blowing out the CI-4 15w40 dino oil - pallets of 5 gal pails in the aisles, I think because they want to get rid of it so that the supposedly "backwards compatible" CJ stuff can fill the shelves. I grabbed a couple of 20L (5 gal) pails of that CI4 15w40 stuff too for summer use.

The M1 TDT stuff is rather pricey in comparison though. $41.77 for 5L of M1 TDT, and only $36 for 20L of 15w40 CI4. That's 4x as much $$ for the M1.

I would just be buying this M1 to stock pile it for next year, I already have 11L of 0w40 group IV synthetic (Co-op D-Mo SL) in my garage for the oil change I plan to do before the snow flies and temp plummet - it gets to -40* here in winter.

What say you?

Last edited:
Let it lie in hopes they further discount it. Is there only 1 5L jug??? If so that isn't gonna get ya to far..

I say buy the M1 TDT CI-4+. If I found some more I would buy it and add it to my 60qt stash. Its good oil, I get good UOA from it doing 7400mi OCI but my truck is a 98 Dodge 12valve Cummins. The last UOA Blackstone said to go 8500mi OCI if I want to. There are those that sing the praises of CJ-4 but I have had a hard time believing less is more.

That CI-4+ is Delvac 1. BUY IT NOW. I have bought 20L of it so far, as my Walmart continues to stock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back