Should a Home Inspector Have Noted Thermal Tracking (Ghosting) on Ceilings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dishdude
The realtor will never recommend an inspector that will potentially kill the deal.

BS. Who do you think the buyer calls and complains to when the inspection misses something?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by dishdude
The realtor will never recommend an inspector that will potentially kill the deal.

It's not the inspector that kills the deal, it's the house.

There's a difference. Some buyers want fixer uppers and don't care that the house needs a lot of work. Other buyers want pristine ones. The inspector's job is just to point out items about the house. I like it when inspectors point out everything wrong with the house, you use that to beat up the seller.

Exactly.

A realtor is the last person you ask about a home inspection. That's like asking a car salesman who to get a car inspection from. I'm not saying that Realtors are automatically scum, but there is a thing called "conflict of interest". A realtor has absolutely no interest in watching a deal go down in flames so you can avoid a home you don't want. That interest is 100% the buyer's and only the buyer's.

When you hire an inspector, that inspector should be 100% on your side and give you the full picture.

Holding back details and facts to make people feel better is called "lying". You really want a home inspector who is in the practice of lying?

What kills a deal is when an inspector points something out, and the seller is unwilling to be reasonable. That might be because of unrealistic expectations the seller has, or because the seller has been given unreasonable expectations by their agent.

When I sold my last home, I got dinged by their inspector for a wiring issue (nothing exactly wrong with it, just old style insulation of some type). Buyer was asking for what I felt was an unfair adjustment. I offered to have the wiring replaced myself. Buyer agreed, and 3 days later it was done and the deal was saved. No harm, no foul.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I like it when inspectors point out everything wrong with the house, you use that to beat up the seller.

Except when you're the selling agent
shocked.gif

That's a different strategy. You just tell them in advance that unless it's major, we're not going to renegotiate after the home inspection. Usually works on newbie agents, not always on experienced one. Depends on the property too, sometimes you get multiple offers, but the higher one has the home inspection contingency so you just tell them you have a backup and that usually stops it. Just all about negotiations.

As for the bad inspectors, the ones I recommend all have their construction supervisor license which in this state allows them to put up a building. The bad ones are the ones that don't know that much and can't tell you if something is a building issue or not because they don't know how to build a house or only know what they read, they didn't actually build a house. Sometimes I know more than the inspector, I've gotten some heating systems/stoves going when the inspector gave up because if a house sits for a while, air gets into the gas lines and you have to run it a little while before the system has gas in the lines to fire up. The deal killer ones sometimes it's a difference of opinion, most inspectors feel that BX which is armored electrical cable is ok, but I had one inspector who recommended it be replaced. Basically he recommended the whole house be replaced because it was 100 years old. That type of inspection is basically worthless.

Originally Posted by ET16
You can get an IR heat gun to see if the thermal loss is significant.

Great minds think alike !! I just thought of that and have one in the drawer, needs a new 9v battery ...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
A furnace from '04 is "vintage" ?

The furnace in my duplex is from the 1950's
My folks forced air woodburner was from the 30's
Never had a problem with either,
the new water heater on the other hand keeps going out and is a royal pain to light

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
A furnace from '04 is "vintage" ?

The furnace in my duplex is from the 1950's
My folks forced air woodburner was from the 30's
Never had a problem with either,
the new water heater on the other hand keeps going out and is a royal pain to light

Now THAT is some vintage equipment !!

Home inspector either missed thermal tracking areas on perimeter of ceiling at exterior walls or is thermal tracking not considered a defect?

House we bought has thermal tracking on the ceilings,

Lone, Home inspection is a scam, show my one home inspection report which said "run away from this house" and I will show you a vegan lion.
A home inspection should be called a "concerted effort to defraud purchaser and loan underwriter", it is not worth anything, soiled diapers probably have more value.

With youtube and other media outlets at your finger tip, why not make a factual video and show what the inspector missed. You have a duty to let the world know so this scammer does not take another person for a ride.

Originally Posted by stockrex
Home inspector either missed thermal tracking areas on perimeter of ceiling at exterior walls or is thermal tracking not considered a defect?

Lone, Home inspection is a scam, show my one home inspection report which said "run away from this house" and I will show you a vegan lion.
A home inspection should be called a "concerted effort to defraud purchaser and loan underwriter", it is not worth anything, soiled diapers probably have more value.

With youtube and other media outlets at your finger tip, why not make a factual video and show what the inspector missed. You have a duty to let the world know so this scammer does not take another person for a ride.

There is no report that will ever say that. That's basically an opinion, the inspector's job is just to give you factual information about the house. Not render an opinion whether you should buy it or not. If the price is low enough, you can fix any problem.

Oh. Ok. I thought the cause of thermal ghosting on ceiling at exterior wall perimeters was inadequate insulation over the ceiling in attic. Seems like that would be an inspection item. The cold spots cause airborne particulates to adhere in that spot.

These cold spots in the areas of question are commonplace is the vast majority of existing housing stock because it's a reflection of how roofs are built. Basically stick built roofs and a majority of truss roofs have the rafters sitting directly on top of the top plate of the second floor wall framing. This creates a cold spot because you really can't insulate it (especially if it's a vented roof). Energy efficient homes use energy trusses (aka raised-heel truss) which raise the rafters off the top plate and consequently allow you to insulate that section of the ceiling to the same depth as the rest of the ceiling.

https://www.protradecraft.com/article/raised-heel-trusses-simple-upgrade-big-payoff

Last edited:
Originally Posted by stockrex

A home inspector is someone, that will, for a few hundred dollars, will look over a house to try and locate defects a buyer, that isn't able to do this themselves, will want to know about so they can make an informed decision on buying a property. You are always welcome to hire an engineer, general contractor, electrician, roofer, and HVAC guy to come out and do inspections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back