Shift Flare on brand new rebuild + MaxLife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by discountdon

...some tranny rebuild shops do add an additive to prevent warranty claims per testimonies here:
https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/FINAL-FULL-testimonial-book_sm.pdf

No OTC additive is going to prevent a warranty claim if the rebuild is shoddy, regardless of testimonials.

well obviously yes - but if the tranny was in fact professionally rebuilt to spec, and it's shift points and timing confirmed from the TCM live stream data... still minor shudders and flares can occur for first couple of hundred miles... kinda like new brakes pads to newly resurface rotors, they need to be bedded in and/or worn properly - sometimes industry spec. OTC additives may help mitigate some instances of poor quality shifting during break-in period.

my theory is assuming that if it was 100% rebuilt correctly, maybe the excess shedding of clutch material is impeding its proper operation, after all rebuilders use aftermarket clutch packs like raybestos, sonnax, etc... and they have varying tolerances.

but from the OP, the shop is already dodging any responsibility, thus it does not inspire confidence in their core competency. if I was the OP, I would at least ask the shop to do a full fluid exchange and give it a couple of hundred miles before declaring the rebuild a total failure. I don't know if his transmission is reprogrammable with an advanced scan tool... for example the 9-speed ZF transmission troubles when they first came out, manufacturer insists it wasn't a mechanical issue but a software issue...

Scotty Kilmer, the oft derided YT click baiter, is right by saying it's better to purchase a 'factory remanufactured' tranny than having a random shop rebuilt one or rebuild one...

Good Luck OP, let us know!

Last edited:
some thoughts on the OP's call for the specific fill of MaxLife, which is a low viscosity spec like Dexron VI...

plus all those new internal parts means so many variables... but apparently bad enough to throw codes...

Originally Posted by roachslayer

Funny, the shop tried to blame everything on me, my vehicle, my mechanic, even my ECU, etc. Nope, something went wonky with their build. My guess is it was either a bad solenoid, or bad valves that weren't actually replaced or upgraded as they claimed.

Just one more point of evidence that most automotive repair shops are no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back