Shell Rotella T6 5w-40, 947 km, 2011 Suzuki DRZ400

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of history…this past summer I intended to have my oil analyzed at 1,500 and 2,000 km to check for wear metals and contamination. I’d like to use 2,000 km OCI since some trips I’ve planned are about that distance (The ThumperTalk crowd tends toward 500-1,000 mile OCI.). The bike is used mainly on gravel roads and off-road so there is a lot of shifting and clutch-slipping. Most of this past season I’ve been having starting problems as if the engine is too rich.

I checked the oil after 1,636 km and the gas dilution was 7% (oil condition: destructive). The engine was still fairly new and I’d been running in very dusty conditions for much of the oci (think “whiteout” but with dust instead of snow) which explains part of the contamination and wear. The fuel dilution problem was with the automatic fuel petcock which is a known problem with the DRZ400. I replaced the fuel petcock with a good manual petcock and all my starting issues have disappeared.

I was surprised to see the fuel dilution is still high. I’ll be checking the float level, and condition of the float valve seat over the winter.

I’ll continue to use T6 5w-40 for my next fill and hope to see how dramatically the oil shears down without a fuel dilution problem. I’m not particularly worried about it shearing to 30 grade since 10w-30 is permitted for temperatures up to 30C and my riding is mainly the eastern slopes of the Rockies where the temperatures rarely get that high. I’d prefer to use a low xw oil since most of my cold starts are at 5-10C.

Nothing will be happening until next spring as Calgary has had snow on the ground for several weeks now. I was hoping my last OCI would have been longer but winter came early this year.

High silver was a concern - the comment was that possible wrist pin bearing wear was the cause. The source of silver has not been confirmed as being associated with the con-rod but is likely the case.

Html:

Date 2012-11-04 2012-08-20

km on unit 6,116 4,853

km on oil 947 1,636

Oil T6 5w-40 T6 5w-40

Ag 6.6 47

Cr 0 0

Si 6 19

P 2,025 1,737

Cu 7 34

Na 1 0

Zn 1,014 1,265

Ca 1,043 679

Pb 0 0

B 46 0

Sn 0 7

Fe 7 17

Al 6 25

Ni 0 0

Viscosity 11.0 10.4

Fuel dilution% 5.6 6.9

Insolubles 0.2 0.2

Oxidation 1.8 1.2

TBN 6.7 7.6

Ian

Last edited:
Chris,

The original petcock was vacuum operated. I replaced it with a manual petcock for a Yamaha Raptor, and plugged the vacuum line. I haven't fully developed the habit of turning the petcock to OFF when I'm not running the engine but expect it will be ingrained early next season.

Ian

If the fuel does not come down, then I'd consider just using any decent CJ-4 dino lube. You're OCI'ing so often you'll never get any benefit out of the use of syn. I would suspect any decent normal HDEO would do similarly. Why not try it once and see?

Who did the report? Is that Blackstone? I ask because the elements are all mixed up; also never known them to post anything in tenths.

Analysis was performed by Ramatek in Calgary so the order of elements is different from Blackstone.

I believe the silver was shown as 6.6 instead of 7 because Ramatek is paying close attention to the silver. Silver doesn't show up very often and can indicate serious problems.

I'll be doing at least one more OCI with T6. If I continue to get high fuel I'll look into using something else. I'd rather stay on the light side for the xw of the oil due to typically cool startup conditions.

Ian

Interesting that Ramatek uses the "insolubles" term and method (as does Blackstone); not prominant. Most labs use soot/ox numbers. That's why I asked.

Is the bike ridden offroad at all, that will drive fuel dilution up alot. Add in if running not (stock) but richer needles and jetting will drive it up too.

2000 mile interval for street only, reduce if alot of offroad is involved.

I put over 40,000 mile on a DRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back