Shell Motorcycle oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy last day of 2012. Were all still here. Anywho. I was browsing the Shell website and did not come across motorcycle oil for the US market. Does anyone know if they have this stuff for the US market? Seems like they have a nice range of products for other countries.

^^^^ +1. The Rotella oils are outstanding motorcycle oils. I have used Rotella T6 5w40 in my Honda Shadow with absolutely no issues. The T6 is the synthetic version of the 15w40. Both of these oils are JASO-MA rated.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yup. Rotella T 15w-40 and Rotella T 5w-40 can be found easily and can be used in wet clutch applications due to JASO MA spec compliance.

Other than that, Pennzoil (which belongs to Shell) has some 10w-40 and 20w-50 mineral motorcycle oils, but good luck finding it at retail level.

http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/penmot201qt.html

I emailed Pennzoil. They told me they stopped producing motorcycle oils. As for Shell, I know the Rotella is nice for most motorcycles. I just thought it would be nice to have a motorcycle only lubricant. I see Shell has a nice offering of motorcycle oils across the pond and such.

Rotella's do double duty as HDEO's and motorcycle oils (JASO-MA wet clutch friendly); in my local auto shops I always see conventional & synthetic from Castrol and Valvoline and synthetic from Mobil in the 'motorcycle' flavor; I was going to start a diet of Rotella products in my Yamaha, but I snagged a case of Suzuki 10w-40 synthetic blend motorcycle oil on sale that will be used for 2013-14;

right now I have AutoZone brand 10w-40 pcmo (same company does Super-Tech for Walmart & Peak brand oils) for winter storage and ended up putting @ 300 miles on it before packing the motorcycle away for winter...no signs of clutch slippage or shifting difficulties

I'm still waiting for a response from Shell. Maybe after the holiday.I got a receipt saying they got my question.

Shell Shared Services (Asia), B.V.
21st Floor, Solaris One
130 Dela Rosa Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City
1229 Philippines

Originally Posted By: johnnydc

I emailed Pennzoil. They told me they stopped producing motorcycle oils. As for Shell, I know the Rotella is nice for most motorcycles. I just thought it would be nice to have a motorcycle only lubricant. I see Shell has a nice offering of motorcycle oils across the pond and such.

Why? Does it make you feel better when you spend 2 or 3 times as much for motorcycle oil. If not, then go buy oil that is not an "energy conserving oil" in the weight for your bike. I have run so many different oils in my R6 and 1100 Shadow that I just run whats on sale now. I put around 55k miles on the R6 before I sold it and have 74k miles on my Shadow and both still have the stock clutch in them.
You don't need to spend a lot on oil to get a better oil for your bike.

This article is from the February, 1994 Motorcycle Consumer News in the article "Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils"
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

It might be old but it shows how bad motorcycle oil was for the money spent on it.

Rotella T6 is about $21/gal at WM. The 15w40 is about $13. I wouldn't run anything else to be honest with you.

Ive never seen any shell brand mc oil on the U.S. ?

Even if there is , Id say its not real popular(being non existant).

I just noticed even cheap oil has gotten very expensive these days.

Hope your not desperate for Shell MC oil, I think they do have something called Shell Helix in other countries.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Originally Posted By: johnnydc

Why? Does it make you feel better when you spend 2 or 3 times as much for motorcycle oil. If not, then go buy oil that is not an "energy conserving oil" in the weight for your bike. I have run so many different oils in my R6 and 1100 Shadow that I just run whats on sale now. I put around 55k miles on the R6 before I sold it and have 74k miles on my Shadow and both still have the stock clutch in them.
You don't need to spend a lot on oil to get a better oil for your bike.

This article is from the February, 1994 Motorcycle Consumer News in the article "Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils"
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

It might be old but it shows how bad motorcycle oil was for the money spent on it.

Thanks for the website. Good read. And no! I hate spending more money.
31.gif

Got my respose from Shell...

Hello,
I wish I could say yes, however there are no current plans to market
the Shell Advance line in the US.

Many have found that Shell Rotella T meets their needs. It meets the
JASO MA requirements that include wet clutch applications.

Regards,
Keith
Shell Technical Information
800.237.8645 Opt 3, 1

Your mail is correct, there are no Shell MC specific oils in the USA. If you want to pay the price, there are jobbers in Australia that will ship the Advance line to the US. Rotella will do very well in almost all the MC apps though. For the apps it wont, there are other 20w50's that will fill the void. I say that because Rotella 10w30 is a stout oil for late model bikes that call for the lighter oils.

I have run the Rotella...not a bad oil, but I prefer Valvoline dino...the tranny just seems to shift smoother with the Valvoline...

Originally Posted By: dernp
^^^^ +1. The Rotella oils are outstanding motorcycle oils. I have used Rotella T6 5w40 in my Honda Shadow with absolutely no issues. The T6 is the synthetic version of the 15w40. Both of these oils are JASO-MA rated.

Would the large weight gap on the T6 be adequately compensate for by the synthetic base or would sheer stability be of any concern (as compared to, say t5 10w40 or even the 15w40)?

I don't find that terribly hard to believe. The price point of rotela 15w40 is nice but that visc at 40C is terrible compared to even my current valvoljne 10w40 dino...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back