Shell Full Synthetic 5w-30 10.5k. 08 Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gray bottle, blue label from BJs Warehouse.

Miles on oil : 10,500
Miles on Unit: 62,500
Filter Mobil 1
Grade 5w-30

"Check for source of FUEL LEAK (injectors, lines etc:). Fuel is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION has caused viscosity to decrease slightly below
grade; Total Base Number is MODERATELY LOW; Infrared results indicate that NITRATION is at a MODERATE LEVEL;
(PRODUCT NAME); Lubricant and filter change acknowledged; Resample at half interval;"

Code:

Nitrate 23

Oxida 15

TBN 2.7* highlighted

Visc @ 100c 9.0

Water
Soot
Fuel 4.4* highlighted

Zinc 680

Phosphorous 581

Calcium 1970

Magnesium 8

Boron 6

Molybdenum 52

Sodium 3

Silicon 16

Copper 1

Aluminum 3

Iron 1

Don't know where the fuel is coming from. I doubt there is a leak. My first UOA, which the OCI was 15k, the fuel dilution was 3.3%. After that, I had a run of 3 OCIs with way lower fuel, so low, it was not noted on the UOAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This time I changed the oil, I think I just let it idle for 5-10 mins, then drove it around the block once. Hopefully that's why anyway. Bet I won't do it like that again! At least the Formula Shell held up decent, especially as cheap as it is.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Pretty impressive considering fuel dilution. Thanks for posting!

Agree 100%.

Very impressive results you have posted. Thanks for sharing your results. I plan to run this Formula Shell Full Synthetic over the winter and most likely with a mix of Formula Shell Dino.

I'm currently running a 50/50 mix of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, SM, CJ-4, 10W-30, Dino with Formula Shell 5W-30, SM, and my oil still looks clean on the dipstick when I check the level.

I still have a full crankcase of 6 Quarts....3 of each Shell oils with an oversized Purolator Classic filter with over 5K on the oil. My T4R does not burn any oil so Shell is par for the course in that department. I've noticed that when I wipe the dipstick off the oil appears to be golden orange on a clean paper towel with some trace amounts of dirt on the dipstick.

IMO...great oils from Shell and I've found that the mix of Formula Shell and Shell Rotella, Triple Protection Dino is a great HOT summer blend for my application.

Next Summer....Maybe I'll use some 15W-40 Shell Rotella Triple Protection in the mix instead of the Rotella 10W-30.

10,500 miles and virtually no wear metals at all! Why does this awesome oil have to be so hard to find??

The only place I've been able to find this oil is at BJ's warehouse club on Special for $18 a case with coupon. I've go 48 quarts of this oil now and I'll put it to good use in some vehicles this winter. I picked up 4 cases of the 5W-30 last month to go with the 4 cases of 5W-20 I had in my stash from last April. Not a bad price for $3 a quart.

I've seen this oil on Amazon for the 6 Quart case but the price is way TOO EXPENSIVE if you go that route.

Thanks to Odie for his post on the sales at BJ's last April and last month at BJ's.

Thanks . It's still on sale from 8/11 > 8/24 with the BJs $9 off coupon . So , $3 a quart for now . This sale has been quite frequent at BJs . Makes you wonder if they're going to discontinue the sale of SHELL motor oils . Hope not
frown.gif
, it's the only place to carry the SHELL synthetics .

We plan to do an UOA in the fall for the the SHELL 5w-30 ( SN/GF-5 ) synthetic in the '08 YARIS sedan that's closely related to the 1.5 of the '08 PRIUS . I'd estimate the mileage on the oil form the PRIUS to be around 7,500 miles since the electic motor runs part time . Still impressive for the SHELL since the high fuel . This has been pointed out in past UOAs of the PRIUS . We also may do a UOA in the spring for the SHELL 5w-20 syn ( SN/GF-5) to be used in the YARIS for those bitter cold days of winter . Wonder if this was the SM or the SN ? Doesn't look to have much moly . Bummer .

I noticed the same thing Odie on the Moly count. We know that PYB and Formula Shell are loaded with Moly. However, I plan to do a mixed blend using the Formula Shell Dino and Formula Shell Full Synthetic in a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of Synthetic to Dino Formula Shell oils on a number of vehicles this fall. The mixed blends will be run through the winter.....so maybe about 6K-7K on the OCIs.

Some vehicles will get 5W-20 FS Full Synthetic with 5W-30 Dino, Some will get 5W-20 Dino with 5W-30 FS Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: odie
Wonder if this was the SM or the SN ? Doesn't look to have much moly . Bummer .

This oil is a very good deal when BJs has the coupon once or twice a year.
I have been told that it's similar to QSUD which is $20.57 for the 5 quart jug at WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back