Sewage pump floats

Hey everyone our sewagy66e pump iscc on the fritz. Our sewer district is your typical small town corrupt situation. They want $3500 to replace the pump. I figured in that case I'll just do the repair myself. The pump is their property but I'm not paying their ridiculous price. The only thing I am not to sure about is the multiple floats. Most of the ones I've seen for sale have one tethered to4r see if them. My set up has 3 floats. How do you make a thethered pump work with a float tree that has 3 floats? Trying to understand how that works before I dig into it . Thanks everyone !

One float is probably for a red light and an alarm for the water level being too high.

One float probably turns the pump on when the water level is high enough.

One float is probably a redundant off to turn the pump off when the water level is too low.

You will remove the tethered float from your replacement pump and set the switch ON (push the lever UP) so the pump runs whenever it has power and connect your replacement pump to the power connection that your old pump was connected to. If it has a float that's connected via a cable, these often are connected to a "piggyback" cord that the pump plugs into and turns it on and off. Just don't use the piggyback connection. If it has some other setup, refer to the manual to see how to set it for MANUAL operation.

Leave all other wiring to the floats as it is.

Or look and see what the pump that's in there now is and order an exact replacement.

A piggyback plug:

1676530774116.jpg

One float is probably for a red light and an alarm for the water level being too high.

One float probably turns the pump on when the water level is high enough.

One float is probably a redundant off to turn the pump off when the water level is too low.

You will remove the tethered float from your replacement pump and set the switch ON (push the lever UP) so the pump runs whenever it has power and connect your replacement pump to the power connection that your old pump was connected to. If it has a float that's connected via a cable, these often are connected to a "piggyback" cord that the pump plugs into and turns it on and off. Just don't use the piggyback connection. If it has some other setup, refer to the manual to see how to set it for MANUAL operation.

Leave all other wiring to the floats as it is.

Or look and see what the pump that's in there now is and order an exact replacement.

A piggyback plug:

View attachment 140623
I’m drawing a blank on the 3 float setup. Would the on/ off floats be wired together and serve as a switch loop?

What is a sewage pump? I've owned several homes connected to city sewer and I've never heard this term.

Sometimes the house is built below the level of the city drain, so you've got to pump it uphill to join in with the city system. Being that expensive, it sounds like the one he's got is designed to pump chunks and all uphill.

I've got septic and my drain field has to be filled from the top of my yard, so I've got a similar setup that pumps the water output of the septic tank uphill so it can drain downwards...thanks to the county determining that was the only place to put the new drainfield I needed to install to replace the undersized original that they initially approved when the houses were built.

Wow, talk about timing. Until just a month or so ago I never heard of this type of system. We are having house built big community, the construction manager blamed some delays on the county being slow to install grinder pumps for the sewer system. I never in my so far LONG life heard of such a thing and kind of bothered me. The sewerage from each house has to be pumped UP into the sewer system from what read.

Weird. SO I have an electric pump in a tub under the ground adding to my electric bill and possibly maintenance costs down the road?
How long should I expect a "grinder pump" to last in years?
So this tank is now buried next to our soon to be house and every house in the community will have one.
I assume the pump is inside? Are there dangers of ever having a back up? This is a huge community. I actually added back up water damage to my insurance policy/
Dont misunderstand my post. I am not freaked out, just think it sounds like things can go wrong where every system I ever knew never had such a system. What about if a hurricane knocks out power?

IMG_6264.jpeg

What is a sewage pump? I've owned several homes connected to city sewer and I've never heard this term.

ctechbobs description is right on.

These are also called septic transfer pumps.

My current house has one of these - a first for me. It's managed by the Nevada county irrigation district (NID), and so far they have been absolutely on it as far as any problems. NID is an impressive org and I ve received great service from them - a first for me as far as gov orgs.

When you are planning a home backup with one of these you need to be able to run the Xfer pump concurrently with the well pump adding significantly to your overall load.

Never seen 3 float. In my case the powered float is alarmed.

Wow, talk about timing. Until just a month or so ago I never heard of this type of system. We are having house built big community, the construction manager blamed some delays on the county being slow to install grinder pumps for the sewer system. I never in my so far LONG life heard of such a thing and kind of bothered me. The sewerage from each house has to be pumped UP into the sewer system from what read.

Weird. SO I have an electric pump in a tub under the ground adding to my electric bill and possibly maintenance costs down the road?
So this tank is now buried next to our soon to be house and every house in the community will have one.
I assume the pump is inside? Are there dangers of ever having a back up? This is a huge community. I actually added back up water damage to my insurance policy/
Dont misunderstand my post. I am not freaked out, just think it sounds like things can go wrong where every system I ever knew never had such a system. What about if a hurricane knocks out power?

View attachment 140639

Yes you are in "danger" from a failure or power outage and there should be an alarm box mounted with a red light.

Your backup solution needs to be able to run the Xfer pump especially on city water which unlike a well in an outage will just keep on coming.

I'd look into a hot spare for later down the road.

In my area this setup is managed by the water company, sounds like you own yours outright.

View attachment 140639

They are more common than you think. I have one as well. The neighbors have them too. One messed his up because he was flushing wipes that were not supposed to be flushed as the tiny print on the package says.

As for power failures a good hand pump would come in handy. 😜

They are more common than you think. I have one as well. The neighbors have them too. One messed his up because he was flushing wipes that were not supposed to be flushed as the tiny print on the package says.

"
OH NO!!! :ROFLMAO:

One messed his up because he was flushing wipes that were not supposed to be flushed as the tiny print on the package says.
Does this mean we should get discreet little signs made up for guests that says "PLEASE ONLY FLUSH TOLIET PAPER"
(I'm serious with that question, as I know none of would be guests would imagine anything like this) :unsure:

"

OH NO!!! :ROFLMAO:

Does this mean we should get discreet little signs made up for guests that says "PLEASE ONLY FLUSH TOLIET PAPER"
(I'm serious with that question, as I know none of would be guests would imagine anything like this) :unsure:

Interesting question. Guests using the wipes?

The packages do say yo not flush them but my neighbor doesn’t see that well. They are detrimental to septic systems and I would guess municipal sewer treatment operations. I can envision the low guy on the totem pole using a long handled rake to retrieve them.

View attachment 140639
It definitely adds to your maintenance

Hey everyone to add to the excitement. So our sump pumps (2) are connected to the sewer system and pump into that holding tank where the sewage pump is. The sewer company is now saying I have to change that. The caveat here is my wash machine also drains into the sump pump. There is no floor drains in the basement or anything of the sort. So how could I go about re routing the washing machine so it doesn't drain into the sump pump? Is there a way to pump the Washing machine into the sewer?

Hey everyone to add to the excitement. So our sump pumps (2) are connected to the sewer system and pump into that holding tank where the sewage pump is. The sewer company is now saying I have to change that. The caveat here is my wash machine also drains into the sump pump. There is no floor drains in the basement or anything of the sort. So how could I go about re routing the washing machine so it doesn't drain into the sump pump? Is there a way to pump the Washing machine into the sewer?
I guess something like this, my question would be is the sewer company going to come back to see if you changed it?

I guess something like this, my question would be is the sewer company going to come back to see if you changed it?

They want receipts to see that It was fixed and if not then they'll start fining me.

Back