self hearing test online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost it at around 15.5kHz. I'm 40. That was after a few beers, too.
smile.gif

speaking of concerts: I actually wear earplugs during concerts: from Jazz to classical to opera, I use something that helps cut down approx. 26dB to make the SPL more comfortable.

been doing that for the past 15+yrs. I hated myself back in the early clubbing days where those [censored] DeeJays put out in excess of 105dB/1m into the stage, which was what I referred to as "nausating" level (yeah, you can puke if the SPL level is beyond your tolerance).

Also got upset with the stage/mixing engineers @ a John Scofield concert many moons ago: that dumb xxxx got everything all wrong: bass augmentation was bad (ended up being fat, congested and bloaty), all the rest the SPL level was way too much for a 2+hr long concert. I complained to the concert organiser and also online....that engineer is prolly SPL-deaf.

Same goes with another event locally last year, where me and my 8yr old son left haphazardly simply because the stage engineer wouldn't listen to my advice.... (SPL too high for all the tender young ears).

Q.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
How accurate is this test with average computer speakers?

for laptop computers with built-in speakers, good up to approx 13~14kHz due to extreme physical limitations of those dinky lil speakers.

For desktop PC with decent 2-way speakers, it's probably good to about 18kHz.

The sound card/DA conversion part built into the sound device on mobo is good up to 20kHz, and the driver portion is capable of doing up to 20kHz relatively flat as well (depending on the output loading and speaker impedence variations).

I know for a fact that lightweight diaphram type headphones and ear buds are definitely capable of doing 21kHz easily. I used to own some rather serious ear buds back in the 80s, and was rated up to 23kHz...

That's why I'd strongly recommend testers to resort to going through the test using ear buds such as Sony, etc. instead of some cheepy gaming headphones (cans), such as logitech, plantronics, steelseries, etc.

If you want to try, get either Beyerdynamics, AKG cans or Sennheiser higher-end cans, which frequency reproduction spec is pretty much warranted.

Q.

10386. I'm 78. there is a dip in volume from 2500 to 4500. I know I have considerable industrial hearing damage. I worked in noisy places pre osha..

expat said:
I loose it at 7,600
I also suffer from Tinnitus :-(

Funny thing is, I 'think' my hearing is OK, but people just don't
speak clearly. [/quote

Sorry to say mine checked out @ about 7100. I also, think my hearing is just about OK, people are not speaking clearly.
I tell people they have two options, 1. Speak clearly, 2. ignore me.
Sadly, most people select option number 2. LOL

I get a few odd looks at rock concerts, but i wear foam earplugs to any concert.

I go to a lot of concerts every year, and I always wear earplugs. I never get any funny looks. In fact, I always see a lot of other people also wearing earplugs at concerts.

I also always wear earplugs whenever I mow the lawn or use any power equipment, whenever I use my angle grinder, or whenever I use any other loud tool. Back in high school I brought earplugs with me to school every day and I used them in metal shop. Losing my hearing is one of my greatest fears and I try to protect my hearing as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I get a few odd looks at rock concerts, but i wear foam earplugs to any concert.

I go to a lot of concerts every year, and I always wear earplugs.

Also important to wear earplugs when riding a motorcycle, for those that do ride.

Years ago when I was in college there was a phone number you could call for a similar test. We had my roommate's girlfriend call it, then after she was done we told her there was another number you could call for a vision test. She got all the way through calling our fictitious number and never caught on.

I wear a swiss made tarmac grade ear cans (to protect hearing) when mowing the lawn.

I also have other brands of protective gears incl. 3M cans, but the 3M cans fell short when comparing to that swiss made one.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back