Seat conversion, ventilated to standard

I have a 2013 Suburban LTZ.

The seats are heated and cooled (er ventilated) they are not comfortable for me, way too stiff/ridged.

Spoke to an upholstery shop about seat comfort options. They mentioned that the GM ventilated seats have ridged plastic channels for airflow with a light open cell foam on top.

I'll need to sit in a non ventilated seats gm from the same vintage to compare,,,
But the theory is, the non ventilated seats are more comfortable for long rides.

Does anyone have any insight into seat bottom cushion comfort for ventilated vs. non-ventilated?

I realize seat comfort is subjective, but perhaps the subjectively can be reduced by looking at just the rigidity factor?

Regardless, has anyone had an option to compare and have noticed a difference between the two ?

Thanks

If you're considering replacing seats I'd suggest you look at Volvo seats. They are by far the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Much better than GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda and somewhat better than BMW. With my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo I was able to sit for 10 hours a day in reasonable comfort. These seats were heated and had a leather surround with a velour center.

Swapping seats into a different vehicle would be difficult but if you're focused on comfort, they would be hard to beat.

I've sat in many, many GMT900 trucks equipped with everything from base vinyl seats to your LTZ-level heated and cooled. Putting the actual seat covering aside (vinyl, cloth, cheap LT leather, less cheap LTZ leather), they all feel pretty much the same at a given age.

#ecotourist, agreed, Volvo knows hot to make seats. I miss my Volvo.

#14Ascent,
Dang it!
Was really hoping that a direct non-ventilated cushion would solve my issue. My 03 Suburban was way more comfortable, but that was a different era.

My goal was a direct replacement seat bottom cushion. I hoped the regular foam seat-bottom was more comfortable than the plastic channel-infused vented seat bottoms, butt😁 that may not be the case apparently.

Bmw gets the same complaint/smart-buyer-knowledge points (depending on who it’s coming from) regarding their seats. The seat either needs internal ducting, or the whole bottom/backside encased to force air through it.

I just put a new seat cushion into my f150 and repaired the springs. I found the seat construction woefully simple to understand *once I had it out of the truck*. I suggest studying the seat part drawings on the online oem parts vendors/catalogs to get an idea. You could even buy a non-cooled seat from eBay and re-foam it (or not, or re-upholster) prior to installing. Note, occupancy sensors, side airbags, etc need to be considered if doing a seat swap. I have pulled seats twice in two vehicles to change upholstery, add headrests, and now fix support issues, and I find it to be one of those things thats easy to do once you’ve done it once and see how it goes together.

and yes to Volvo seats. And why??? What is their special sauce?? It’s leather over contoured foam…. Just like everyone else… how do they do it??

Maybe a more simple option would be one of those orthepedic seat covers or maybe one of those bottom cusions that strap over the bottom cushion.

I tried the "Purple" mattress style seat cushion. It's like a silicone honey comb style. Not much help.

May try other memory foam style pads.

Great idea. Ill do some faux car shopping. If I don't see a difference, I'll look at add-on seat cushions.

The online retailer who said they don't make a seat bottom cushion with ventilated option had this to say when I asked about giving up the vent seat cushion for regular:

From The Seat Shop online retailer"
"If you're going to have a shop do it, ask them if they are comfortable altering the solid foam to have it be ac compatible. It is a fairly simple process and we have videos walking them through how to do it. I don't think you should lose that functionality just in case.

Let us know if you have more questions! "

So they are implying that regular seat foam can be modified to accommodate the ventilation option.
Probably expensive!

I have been looking at the pictures of GM part numbers for seat bottom cushions, while I can see a difference, the pics I see aren't that detailed.

The replacement seat cushions are about $160 for the part. YouTube shows the installation is relatively easy. At least for the foam to foam swap

Could take them to an upholster if you take the seats out. A buddy of mine had his Recaros redone that way. I'm waiting for a junkyard CX-5 to take their seats out. The <2023 CX5 have brutal stiff seats on all trims.

Back