Sealed 100K Mile Transmissions with No Dip Stick (ATF Change) ?

There is a discussion of what the word "lifetime" in a Toyota.
If we assume the lifetime is in Japan, cars have to be retired when they are 60K miles or 100K km.
So, in Japan, there is never a need to change ATF during the life of a car.

Those engines and transmissions ended up in other countries including US as JDM engines.

My Dad’s ‘12 Cruze is supposed to lifetime fill.

No dipstick, no drain plug.

I still did two spill and fills, 10K apart, at 100K…

The 1st gen cruze does have a drain plug and fill port, and the owners manual recommends changing trans fluid at 97,500 miles. However, the 6 spd in the cruzes shreds trans fluid, so I would recommend sooner. Its so easy to do on my wifes 2014 I just do it yearly.

There is a discussion of what the word "lifetime" in a Toyota.
If we assume the lifetime is
in Japan, cars have to be retired when they are 60K miles or 100K km.
So, in Japan, there is never a need to change ATF during the life of a car.

Those engines and transmissions ended up in other countries including US as JDM engines.
It's my understanding that that is an urban myth. I've checked over the years and have not found anything to substantiate your assertion. Do you have access to any documentation that supports your position?

I agree that there might be a problem with the choice of fluid, but how is one to know there's a problem unless the fluid is checked? Is a dipstick needed to check the fluid condition? No, but the alternative is time-consuming and/or expensive, even as a DIY project. Toyota (even with their "lifetime" fluid), at least in the manuals I've read, includes checking the fluid at 60,000 miles (if I recall correctly) as part of their routine maintenance schedule.
Well, I would say don’t nickel and dime.
ZF recommends their fluid that goes for $28, but most people like to get $4 fluid into their $100k BMW.
But, tell me how many people read manual? How many owners of Highlander know where should be transmission dipstick? And how many would know what to look at?

All my used atf samples go to JG Lubricant Services because Tom Johnson is part owner and is there to answer any/all your question(s) by phone (extension# 2).
He's a retired fluids engineer for GM/Allison and was instrumental in the development of the TES295 spec.
They use OAI/Polaris.
His user name is "Mr.Transynd" on various forums :) .

I traded in a car with a lifetime tranny oil fill on its CVT. Never changed, had 100k miles, driven pretty hard. It never missed a beat.

Bought a brand new 1999 Volvo S70, sealed transmission. Used daily for 21 years, 276,000 miles. It was donated to the local public radio station with the same ATF that the factory installed. That car had 99 problems by then, the tranny wasn't one.

Bought a brand new 1999 Volvo S70, sealed transmission. Used daily for 21 years, 276,000 miles. It was donated to the local public radio station with the same ATF that the factory installed. That car had 99 problems by then, the tranny wasn't one.
It’s almost like the automakers and lube manufacturers know what they’re doing.

If you check Carfax on a vehicle you rarely see where an automatic transmission fluid change has been completed. It makes me believe there are lots of owners that never had it done. BTW I did have the automatic transmission fluid changed on my F-150 at 50,000 miles. I am afraid to do it on my Corvette because of horror stories involving a perfectly good transmission going in and driving out with a vehicle that has transmission problems.

Not really. Transmissions have been fitted with better cooling and protection from moisture. There are hundreds of thousands of units on the road which led easy lives and have never had the fluid changed.
I have to disagree. The Aisin transmission in our GS350 has lifetime fluid according to Toyota. Unless you exceed certain parameters.
In Europe, the same car has a transmission service schedule.
Aisin has a service schedule for this transmission.

Unless there is a definition of "lifetime", it is a meaningless term.

I have to disagree. The Aisin transmission in our GS350 has lifetime fluid according to Toyota. Unless you exceed certain parameters.
In Europe, the same car has a transmission service schedule.
Aisin has a service schedule for this transmission.

Unless there is a definition of "lifetime", it is a meaningless term.
Which is why I prefaced it with "led easy lives". Autobahn speeds and certain high load scenarios are a different animal and consequently it's why there's a severe service interval by some manufacturers.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that that is an urban myth. I've checked over the years and have not found anything to substantiate your assertion. Do you have access to any documentation that supports your position?
You're correct. It is an urban myth. Japan requires a periodic stringent inspection called "shaken" (pronounced shah-ken) for on-the-road vehicles. Often it isn't worth repairing a car to get it to pass the next shaken, even though the drivetrain is still in great shape, so the car gets junked or exported. That's how we have used Japanese car engines available here with no more than 50K miles on them.

The variation I've heard on that urban legend is that Japan has higher and higher taxes as a car gets older, to encourage retirement. That isn't true either. Both myths come from garbled info about the shaken inspection.

Contrary to ones subjective observations fluid analysis has shown that factory fill is capable of reaching 100k miles. That's just reality and it has been this way for over 20 years.

There's a reason why automatic transmission over the last 20 years have been fitted with coolers and sealed to prevent excessive exposure to moisture.
They are vented, so they get atmospheric moisture. Having said that, I point to the crappy dipstick on my '97 Civic... which sits on a ledge, substantially low in elevation, and now the second of these dipsticks - the rubber has shrunk 😐. Liquid water could get in unless I soon rectify the situation ..

They are vented, so they get atmospheric moisture. Having said that, I point to the crappy dipstick on my '97 Civic... which sits on a ledge, substantially low in elevation, and now the second of these dipsticks - the rubber has shrunk 😐. Liquid water could get in unless I soon rectify the situation ..
From my own research the issue is water vapor rather than liquid water but imo it's definitely a holistic approach of better cooling, better fluids, etc.

Indeed ... there has to be a way to deal with the expansion and contraction of the fluid, much the same way differentials are vented. At least that's my understanding.

Back