scuff marks on new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, those aren't really scuff marks. What you see is the wax that has come off. It will flake off if it gets too thick.

Ya' see, tires have waxes and antioxidants (AO's) mixed in the rubber matrix. The wax forms a physical barrier and the AO's are the chemical component to protect the rubber from oxygen and ozone. These slowly migrate to the surface as they are used up - accelerated by flexing the tire.

Normally the waxes flake off in service, but under certain conditions, the wax becomes visible - storage being one of those. A bit of time in service and it won't be there.

Notice the brown hue in the top photo? That's the used up AO's under the waxes. There are rust colored. (I suspect that's because they use iron as the oxygen attractor!) Again, perfectly normal.

I don't see a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
Continental quotes:

Should an age of 2 year old post production form a basis of tire rejection ?

The rule of thumb within the tire industry was that a properly stored tire ages very slowly - and that 6 years is a reasonable limit. The company I worked for used a 3 year limit and tested tires to verify this. It was not uncommon for 2 1/2 year old tires to be discounted so they would sell quickly - which dealers loved!

Those are fine. Even if they were thrown around hard the sidewall still has enough flex to counter the bending. Seems like it's just the oil layer that got scraped off.

Regards to the tire age/possibly being mounted before, as long as you got a killer deal I don't see why that's a problem. My new Falkens were made a few years ago and sat in some warehouse until I brought them. They dropped $25 on the price per tire and I didn't know they were old until I got them in the mail. Atleast they were cheap. They ride perfectly fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back