Scout Reboot

I just read the article in Automotive News. I had no clue VW owned the Scout brand!
Got the rights from Navistar, successor to IH.

VW certainly can't do any worse than IH did back in the day. Owners of the originals built in the 1960s told tales of lousy build quality and such serious problems as fuel tank leaks on brand-new ones. At least VW's version won't have any fuel tank. :LOL:

Got the rights from Navistar, successor to IH.

VW certainly can't do any worse than IH did back in the day. Owners of the originals built in the 1960s told tales of lousy build quality and such serious problems as fuel tank leaks on brand-new ones. At least VW's version won't have any fuel tank. :LOL:
My grandfather was a VP of Products at International Harvester before it was sold in the early 1980's - after which he retired. He had great stories about flying to Russia to make a deals to sell farm equipment to the Russians. It also means I grew up with Scouts - absolutely hunks of rusting **** but still a fun post from a nostalgia POV

Last edited:
Way back before International Harvester became Navistar I could have bought a new Scout at employee cost. My wife worked at the corporate HQ in Chicago. They offered the pick of a parking garage full of Scouts. They came pre-rusted from the factory just like Fiats of the day.

Didn't buy one, stupid mistake. Worth a fortune today.

Scout.jpg

Way back before International Harvester became Navistar I could have bought a new Scout at employee cost. My wife worked at the corporate HQ in Chicago. They offered the pick of a parking garage full of Scouts. They came pre-rusted from the factory just like Fiats of the day.

View attachment 99516
Wonder if your wife knew my grandfather? He was also there.

View attachment 99516

I bought a brand new 1979 Scout that had rust on the rear quarter panels right where the top attached. The dealer had it sanded and repainted. It was a good rig despite the horrible fuel mileage.

View attachment 99516
There's also a story about my father and uncle driving a brand new Scout into a lake after one too many and a new Scout that was the exact same color showing up the next day. I think they were giving those things away to anyone who would take one.

The post office had fleets of Scouts. Sort of fits, wish I would have bought one in 4 cylinder form. But naw the 75 Ford Bronco was my regretted miss.

My nephew works for a place in Iowa that specializes in Scout restoration. I grew up hunting and camping in the Black Hills of SD and you'd see Scouts out and about, they had a reputation for getting places but I never owned one.

Back