Scott 1000 Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just used some Scott 1000 sheet in some submicronic bypass filters. I had been using Scottt Kimberly Clark and removing 10 rounds from it. I think the 1000 shet is a better roll. It is very tight wound. I removed 50 rounds from it to make it the perfect size. I figured out what to do with the 50 founds that I removed. I am very inovative
wink.gif

I used the 1 5/8" core, the 1 1/2" that has been showing up in the stores will also work. The 1 1/2" might have an advantage for fuel because it will seal not only at the bottom but 2" up the tube.

Ralph
burnout.gif

In the "for what it's worth department", I have found that a strip or corrugated cardboard folded around a 1 1/2" OD tube so that the ends just touch, will be a friction fit in a 1 5/8" ID tube.

ralph; i've been usinmg the scotts 1000 in the singles packaging, the tube dia are of that of the old size 1 1/2in the ones in the bulk pack (from my experience) are too big 1 5/8in.

Thanks for the info.
offtopic.gif
Is your web site ok. I can't seem to get to the order form?

quote:

Originally posted by johnd:
In the "for what it's worth department", I have found that a strip or corrugated cardboard folded around a 1 1/2" OD tube so that the ends just touch, will be a friction fit in a 1 5/8" ID tube.

What I do is wrap the center tube with TP and dab the last sheet with RTV to make the paper stick to the tube.

It doesn't matter for multi pass filtration such as motor oil or ATF. The seal at the bottom is all you need. I can see where the 1 1/2" might be better for single pass filtration such as with compressed air or fuel. the core is very dense. The 1 1/2" is good for the old M-100 Motor Guard filters and old Frantzes that were designed when all of the high quality paper had 1 1/2" cores.
I have some Caterpillar propane engines at work that get a lot of use. They are very good test engines for filters. There is no soot too turn the filter black. The wear metals turn the paper grey. Automatic transmissions and fuel are very good for seeing where the TP is getting the contamination. With the copper internal parts it is better to filter from the top down like a Frantz so thst the element is pushing down on the seal. The Motor Guards need a firm roll such as the Scott. If you can find the 1 1/2" core for the new MG-30s go for it. I called Kimberly Clark and was told that whether it is 1 1/2" or not depends on where it is made.
The special filter paper Motor Guard elements have a 1 1/2" leak proof core but the core will melt in hot motor oil. They are for dealing with large amounts of water. They are rated at 1/10th micron the same as TP. Remove the core and they are 1 5/8". They work fine for multi pass use with the core removed.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I stopped at Wall-Mart to find some Scott 1000 sheet 1 1/12" in individual wrap. They didn't have it but the Kroger across the street had it. It was a perfect fit after I unwound 50 rounds. As the tee handle compresses the roll the core is forced against the copper.
I am in the process of starting to burn cooking oil in the Ford diesel. I will filter the cooking oil before and after I put it in the truck. Most of my filters are set up for the 1 5/8" paper which is easy to find. I went to the smaller core because I found that a lot of the guys use the Scott 1000 sheet. Some told me the core wouldn't fit over the tube. I had sleeved the old Frantz and M-100s because I didn't think any one made the 1 1/2" these days.
I got away from the Nylatron internal parts. The copper brass and aluminum parts save me a lot of time on the lathe.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Probably this has been posted somewhere, but where does Motor Guard source the TP that I found in my NOS M-20s? It has a very thick cardboard tube. And what about the "Frantz filter elements" being sold, where are they sourced from?

quote:

Originally posted by TP4ME:
Probably this has been posted somewhere, but where does Motor Guard source the TP that I found in my NOS M-20s? It has a very thick cardboard tube. And what about the "Frantz filter elements" being sold, where are they sourced from?

I was one of the origional Motor Guard dealers. In the 60s all of the high quality TP was 1 1/2" core. The M-20 was designed to take any high quality paper with a 1 1/2" core two ply. The reason two ply was recommended was single ply was usually poor quality loose wound. My 40 year old technical manual recommends Aurora, Delsey, White Cloud, Safeway Truly Fine, Chiffon and Floral Prints. I used a lot of MD TP. When the TP companies went to 1 5/8" it was a problem. Motor Guard had converted to compressed air filters and came out with a special filter paper with a plastic core that was 1 1/2". Frantz came out with a high quality TP on a thicker core that was 1 1/2".
The Scott 1000 sheet in the individual wrap is in Kroger here in the Dallas area. I had already used a piece of copper tubing to sleeve my 35 year old M-20 at work that is at least 15 year old. My old M-20 came with a high quality roll of TP. The M-20 is similar to the origional M-100 lube oil filter except it has no orifice and the ports are 1/4" instead of 1/8" and it has a coating. The M-30 is less restrictive than the M-20 which give it an advantage where you need a higher flow rate.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back