School me on what Dexos really is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
When this stuff is Dexos Generation 2 approved, it can't be that tough. https://www.ruralking.com/oil-hk-5w30-full-synthetic-5qt.html
Saw the first batch with the Generation 2 label, in the store last night. For those who don't know, this stuff is made by Citgo.

Hold on, Citgo may be just the distributor. The base oil can come from anywhere. The additive package can come from Afton, Lubrizol, Oronite, or Infineum, as I think at least 2 or more of those companies offer a pre-tested, pre-approved dexos1 Gen2 additive package to marry up with any GroupIII base oil they can find.

In fact, some other companies can do everything for you, blending the additive packages from the established companies who have them, and blending it with the right base oils, such as Warren Performance Products that make Mag1 and Supertech (& others).

Some have reported that Rural King oil is really Warren Oil (which is not the same company as WPP & Warren Distribution).

That $10 per 5 gallons has to be the best deal on dexos1 Gen2 oil on the planet, BTW.

Happy Holidays to you all,

Thank you all for your postings on schooling me again on what Dexos is. I guess my rant is that the dealership put in Dexos instead of my asked Mobil 1. At first I thought they use GM's spec synthetic for the Corvette but after thinking about it I thought I'd ask the experts.

Anyway my Camaro has been turned in for a couple days to redo another goof on my side mirror that I smashed while parking my car. They essentially installed my new mirrow without the rubber gasket at the base. Now that it's installed there is a gap that I pointed out to them. How they missed it is anyone's guess. Let's hope they do it right the second time around.

Again many thanks,

Durango
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Durango
I guess my rant is that the dealership put in Dexos instead of my asked Mobil 1. At first I thought they use GM's spec synthetic for the Corvette but after thinking about it I thought I'd ask the experts.

All GM cars & trucks switched to the dexos spec 7 years ago. The Corvette synthetic spec you mention was the special 4718M, which technically is obsolete now that dexos1 has taken over.

There is a slight problem with not getting Mobil1 when you wanted it, as some dexos1 oil is actually semi-synthetic, while Mobil1 is fully synthetic. It could be the dealership just stocks dexos1 semi-syn, as it does meet the spec. A full synthetic is much more likely to exceed many dexos1 performance tests better than a semi-syn. So you're right.

I hate how hard it seems to be to get the oil you want when getting your oil changed at GM dealers. Even though my new Corvette comes with a bunch of free oil changes, I won't be using them, I am going to do all of them myself to make sure it's done right and with the oil I want.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I hate how hard it seems to be to get the oil you want when getting your oil changed at GM dealers. Even though my new Corvette comes with a bunch of free oil changes, I won't be using them, I am going to do all of them myself to make sure it's done right and with the oil I want.

What do you mean? On pg 226-227 in your owner's manual, it states that any GM approved/licensed dexo1 gen 2 5w30 will be fine for use in the Corvette.

But that's not what Corvette owners want, they want Mobil 1. Many don't want an oil that's "just fine". When the C7 first came out many dealers were giving them semi synthetic for their free oil changes, that didn't sit well with long time Corvette owners that were used to Mobil 1 being the oil of choice.

But that's not what Corvette owners want, they want Mobil 1. Many don't want an oil that's "just fine". When the C7 first came out many dealers were giving them semi synthetic for their free oil changes, that didn't sit well with long time Corvette owners that were used to Mobil 1 being the oil of choice.
Just remember to negotiate that you only want Mobil 1 for your oil change. But it might be easier to just go do it yourself them making sure the dealer holds there end of the deal.

Synthetic blends of today are better than most full synthetics of only 10 years ago. In fact, *any* Dexos1 Gen2 is better than M1 that the long-time users had back then too
smile.gif

That's also why the original dexos1 Gen1, which could be met by a semi-syn, was able to successfully supersede 4718M, which could only be full synthetic.

And the M1 factory fill was just some kind of agreement deal between GM and XOM. What if GM decided to switch suppliers and make Castrol their factory fill and ACDelco oil? This actually happened to BMW (Castrol was FF for their M-cars using 10w60, but BMW recently switched to Shell)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

And the M1 factory fill was just some kind of agreement deal between GM and XOM. What if GM decided to switch suppliers and make Castrol their factory fill and ACDelco oil? This actually happened to BMW (Castrol was FF for their M-cars using 10w60, but BMW recently switched to Shell)

That's definitely not going to be happening anytime soon now that the 2019 Corvettes are going to be factory filled with a brand new Dexos certified version of M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The base oil can come from anywhere. The additive package can come from Afton, Lubrizol, Oronite, or Infineum, as I think at least 2 or more of those companies offer a pre-tested, pre-approved dexos1 Gen2 additive package to marry up with any GroupIII base oil they can find.

Like this add package from Afton
(Link HITEC 11180)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back