school me on tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
An overpriced luxury that doesn't add any real world value to your car. Put on some sunglasses to block the sun. It's overpriced film that isn't worth the hassle depending on your local laws.

most every car in South Texas has dark tint.

My Escape came from New Mexico with no tint, and it is going in next week for sure.

American Standard film 35 in front and 15 in back/side windows.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
An overpriced luxury that doesn't add any real world value to your car. Put on some sunglasses to block the sun. It's overpriced film that isn't worth the hassle depending on your local laws.

Sunglasses don't block heat/infrared from heating up the interior of my car.

Come to Phoenix. Tint is a necessity.

Neither does tint. Roll the windows down upon entering and you just saved $200 on tint.

Yeah, with 30 years of skin cancer (and tens of thousands spent on treatment) I can't agree with that …

A person spends more time out of their car than driving. Skin cancer can happen to anyone. Put on SPF sunblock before leaving the house for $1 if you want to protect your skin. Windows tint to prevent skin cancer...really...

80% of it on the left side of face … Go back to bashing Ford, more in your league

Fords are and will continue to be piles of junk in my opinion. Another company bailed out when their business model and practices failed.

Back to tint...if you want to spend money on it go for it. It's your car. Just find a reputable installer with a quality warranty that uses good films. My tip is to never use your rear window defroster if it is tinted. They will a nearly all bubble.

Neither does tint. Roll the windows down upon entering and you just saved $200 on tint.

Heaven forbid someone spend their own money on their own vehicle!

Companies like 3M would beg to argue. You should start a lawsuit against them for false advertising! Don't forget to also throw in their claim of blocking 99% of UV radiation!

Thanks! I'll look into that!

Tint your car or don't tint your car. It's a car...life goes on. Maybe I'll open up a lawsuit against all the oil companies too that promise x, y and z. It's a car..not an investment. Another depreciating tool that people obsess about.

The first thing I do when buying a vehicle is put tint on the windows. It makes a huge difference in Florida.

Yes it does. Do can do you own test with a UV meter and prove the tests wrong. Rolling down windows nor sunglasses will help with direct sun exposure. Just because a person spends more time outside of their car versus inside doesn't mean prevention won't help.

I can tell a huge difference from the heat on my arm being behind my window tint versus being behind my windshield with no tint or just rolling down the windows.

Fords are and will continue to be piles of junk in my opinion. Another company bailed out when their business model and practices failed.

Back to tint...if you want to spend money on it go for it. It's your car. Just find a reputable installer with a quality warranty that uses good films. My tip is to never use your rear window defroster if it is tinted. They will a nearly all bubble.

Cheap tint with weak adhesives will bubble. I've had 3M, Llumar and now Rayno. I use my rear window defroster and never had bubbling issues.

Also, less incoming solar energy that is radiated through the glass means the AC compressor doesn't have to work as hard to cool down your car and keep it cool.

Huge difference in felt temperature from sun punching through tinted vs untinted glass even in the same car in the same conditions with the same sun angle, but I used 3M Colorstable on my cars.

Even with 35% it makes a big difference when the sun is at the correct angle in July rolling through the high desert at ~4000 ft or Lake Tahoe area at 6500+, sun is intense up there in summertime, I'll never go without it and I'm darker skinned

That is not true. I can think of 9 vehicles offhand that I've had tinted and never had the rear defroster bubble the tint. Well, my 1990 Mustang never had a working defroster when I owned it so make that 8. I have numerous friends as well that have never had any issues with bubbling.

The first thing I do when buying a vehicle is put tint on the windows. It makes a huge difference in Florida.

Me too!
Most people have never experienced the Florida sun. 20 degrees North Latitude makes a difference. I imagine the same can be said for 6500 ft elevation.

The one thing that ticks me off is we have a max tint limit in Texas of, I think it's 25% now....however the law doesn't apply to police cars. EVERY police car/truck in Texas has greater than 20% tint almost limo tint. They should adere to the law they are enforcing.

I get 20% all around, I like dark and it is still good to see out of. I just have to go to certain inspection stations to get passed. Most ignore tint.

Last edited:
I moved from a state that has an average UV of 3.5 to one that's closer to (the Sun) 7.5 and even though I'm making up these numbers, you probably get the idea.
We've gotten used to sun protection and hot cars, seen bleached interiors and moonscape dashboards etc.... but I have no problem admitting that I like the looks of tint on many cars when it's to my taste.
It's popular in this area and I'm guessing 30 or 35% looks about right to me. Not the sinister looking limo stuff for me though. Something to provide a bit of cover. Prying eyes looking to thieve or just be nosy have to advertise their intent a little bit by getting right up to the car to see anything. UV and keeping the car cooler is a thing in many states too so I understand a certain logic to tint even if one isn't wanting 'the look'.

When I lived in FL I had 5% all around and double 5% on the rear glass.
When I moved back to La. and had my truck registered here I never changed the tint. I was on my way to a Drs. appt. one morning on a 4 lane highway. I saw a State Trooper traveling opposite of me, made a U-turn, and pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for $193.50, which a friend had fixed for me. But, I did get the front windows with legal tint, 35%. When someone is behind me their headlights look like candles in my rear view mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back