School me on Lyme Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
A time wasting "thing I heard", anyone?

My mother set her arm on a picnic table on the east side of the Hudson River in sight of the Tappan Zee Bridge.
She got bit by something and got Lyme disease. Diagnosed and treated by a good Lyme doctor.

I found a tick after it had burrowed into a personal part of my thigh, dug it out with an exacto knife and did nothing. I had been in the Adirondack Mountains.

We heard later that ticks from sub-divided land are corralled by development and become inbred. They transmit disease.
Upstate, free ticks are not inbred and acquire diseases less frequently.

I was a total jack @zz for not seeking treatment even though I didn't get ill. I figured a tick that deeply imbedded in my meat would've been there long enough for disease to have evidenced itself and I felt OK.

Never again will I do that especially since the early treatment is so easy. You don't want what my mother went through.

Kyra,

Inbred is only a concern if you are canoeing in the Deep South with Ned Beatty and Burt Reynolds.

It is not an issue with ticks.

Perfectly healthy ticks of good parentage and schooling carry and transmit disease. Many types of disease.

Next time you get a tick in your nethers or elsewhere, don't use a knife to remove. Just scrape it out following the illustrations online and then wash with soap & water and alcohol or iodine.

Make a 2" diameter circle around the bite with a marker and check the wound daily for signs of infection and swollen glands. Ticks carry many types of disease.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I know all about the bullseye rash. It means: go get a 28 day course of doxycycline. It is a spirochete bacteria , kin to syphilis. I dig them out and usually leave their jaws in. Treatment for that is making a hole, letting a hard scab form and then pulling it off . If you dug the hole deep enough,the tick remains will be in the scab.I have done this several times since April.

Andy,

This is not the method to remove a tick. All you are doing is increasing your chances of infection.

I'm pretty sure this mark is just another bump of acne or a blackhead. I actually have a bunch of them on my mid-section and on my back as well. So that's good, but I still am going to get checked out.

Can a doctor test for hantavirus as well, or am I just being paranoid now?

Even though they call them "deer ticks," white-footed mice carry Lyme and infect the ticks. And 2017 is supposed to be a big year for white-footed mice in the Northeast because of big acorn crops in recent years.

Definitely see a doctor who knows about Lyme disease, and double down on your mouse-proofing.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I'm pretty sure this mark is just another bump of acne or a blackhead. I actually have a bunch of them on my mid-section and on my back as well.

Fleas? Bed bugs?
DS00663_IM02568_id7_bedbug2007thu_jpg.jpg

ArcticDriver's good advice left out the step of identifying the tick species!

Gotta love tiny biting critters.................................."ate at the asian buffet and can't get up""
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Laughing aside, oilpsi2high - get yourself to the doctor and get diagnosed correctly.

So if a mouse poops on the floor and I vacuum, I can get sick and die. This is what I am gathering from reading medical websites on the internet.

Wow, so much misinformation on here.

If you find a tick attached to you, your family or a pet DO NOT scrape it or cut it off. Tick saliva is the primary transmitter of Lyme. Leaving the head in increases your chance of infection.

To properly remove a tick: take a good pair of tweezers, gently grab the tick as close to the skin as possible and carefully pull up at a 90 degree angle to the skin. Just keep gentle upward pressure on the tick for 2-5 minutes without pulling hard enough to break off its head. The tick will release after that period of time. Save the tick in Scotch tape in case it needs to be tested. This has worked literally every time I've tried it... and living in VA, that has been a lot. Like when our Yorkie got into a tick nest and I pulled over 175 baby ticks off him. That was the absolute worst along with when I did the same!

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I'm pretty sure this mark is just another bump of acne or a blackhead. I actually have a bunch of them on my mid-section and on my back as well. So that's good, but I still am going to get checked out.

Can a doctor test for hantavirus as well, or am I just being paranoid now?

Oh, brother. Now you tell us that you've got lots of acne bumps..
smirk.gif

A shot of WD-40 or penetrating oil will make a tick release real fast.
Bugs, ticks included hate petroleum and oil.
I found this a good way to get them off cats since they don't relate well to steel devices near them.

My 6 yr old boy got Lyme's this summer. Never saw a tick embedded nor a bullseye. Complained of evening headaches, and evening stomach pain.

My wife is a Emergency room physician assistant, so she had a pretty educated guess when she called his pediatrician wanting a blood test. He put my son on antibiotics right away. Two test were conducted, positive both times. The lab guesses he got it between 2-5 months before we had him tested. He was on the antibiotics for 30 days. No symptoms anymore, but the Lyme's antibodies are in him they are just dead. He will always test positive.

My dog got Anaplasmosis (another tick born disease) years ago. He always tests positive as well. But they are dead.

My father had the bullseye and went to his doc right away. Did the antibiotics but tested neg both times. The antibiotics would have totally eradicated it if caught very early.

Another older guy I know got Lyme's many years ago. Never got it treated properly. May have been they just didnt know back then. But he suffered symptoms the rest of his life until he died a few years ago basically from the Lyme's.

Its a simple blood test. Thats it. Tell them thats what you want.

I would not go to a mainstream physician. Look for Lyme Literate MD (LLMD)

For testing, don't go to LabCorp, go to Quest instead (there is a variation in their testing and LabCorp reports false positive with band 43). Or check IGeneX Lyme Test Supposedly most trustworthy.

Also check out Buhner protocols.

I suggest you keep your mind open for the treatments. If its Lyme, its years of intervention.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
A shot of WD-40 or penetrating oil will make a tick release real fast.
Bugs, ticks included hate petroleum and oil.
I found this a good way to get them off cats since they don't relate well to steel devices near them.

That can agitate the tick and cause it to release more pathogens in their saliva to the victim.

Proper way is to grasp it with tweezer as close the skin as possible and pull straight out, then clean the area well with isopropyl alcohol.

From the late 1990's until a few years ago I walked my dogs every day once or twice in areas that were sometimes tick infested. Got bit many, many times.

Either I am immune, or very lucky. I know that if you get a serious case of the disease, it can be very bad.

Just had the bloodwork done. They test for lyme and the related tick-borne diseases as well. Also tested for mono (negative) and HIV (won't know until lyme results are back in a few days.)

On an unrelated note, my rib has been popping in and out over the last few years. You can feel it AND hear it when you push it in and out. I showed this to the nurse and they did a chest x-ray. The radiologist said it looks like I broke my rib at one point in time, and there's a line on rib 11. I'm guessing this could be traced back to my dirtbike/BMX says. I remember taking one particularly nasty fall on my left side from like 3' in the air back in 2003.

Thanks for the replies. May everyone and their families be blessed with good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back