School me on ball bearing esp sealed bearings

It is my understanding that roller bearings come in standard sizes. Inside and outside diameters. Shafts are designed to use a standard size bearing. Right? For example, if a bearing is listed by a dealer as NLA, I can find the bearing by its dimensions regardless of manufacturer? Or maybe in a Grainger or MacMaster catalog? TIA

It is my understanding that roller bearings come in standard sizes. Inside and outside diameters. Shafts are designed to use a standard size bearing. Right? For example, if a bearing is listed by a dealer as NLA, I can find the bearing by its dimensions regardless of manufacturer? Or maybe in a Grainger or MacMaster catalog? TIA
You need a bearing chart like this one.

Yes. You mostly need to know ID, OD and thickness. 2RS is rubber seal on both sides which you typically want for automotive applications

Depending on application if it's rare sometimes you can get away with a different thickness

The standard dimensions don't tell you what the tolerance of the dimensions or what the runout spec of the bearing is...and that can be important.

Shaft and housing dimensions don't tell you the fit of the bearing...if there is clearance or interference fit.

The original part number and brand should help direct you, then you can interchange much like an oil filter.

I got the part number for the bearings off the bearing seal on the original bearings. A new spindle assembly was like $50 a hand full of better nsk bearings were like $30 that was enough to rebearing the bad spindle I had and spares for one more rebuild.

Last edited:
Back