Schaeffers vs Mobil one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wensteph
He posted it without comment

Exactly.

Not sure why the snark and certainly the personal attack is unwarranted.

What personal attack?

Sorry if my "snark" offended anyone. (not really)

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by BHopkins
it's always been hard for me to take a motor oil seriously when dyes are added to it. Particularly cute colors. Like purple and green.

You know that most motor oil is dyed, right?

Others aren't cute colors, like purple. and green. Absolutely no function beyond marketing.

Do you have a problem with ATF being red?

Not at all. There is a very functional purpose. Unlike green motor oil. Or purple motor oil.

What about coolant? That must set your blood on fire!

Once again, functional. Although I do find it kind of silly that there are a few of the coolants with identical formulations, but different colors.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by BHopkins
it's always been hard for me to take a motor oil seriously when dyes are added to it. Particularly cute colors. Like purple and green.

That just makes you ... an oil racist!
lol.gif

The latest term would be...... 'an undyed oil supremacist'........

He posted it without comment so my guess is it was just something he thought some would find interesting. I did and I find Project Farm tests to be mildly interesting but not relevant. Not sure why the snark and certainly the personal attack is unwarranted.

No, he did not post it without comment. His user name is "salesrep" and he has a Schaeffer's Oil avatar. That is not "without comment", that is with promotion.

How would it be any different than an Amsoil rep posting the same video as some kind of proof of the superiority of their oil over another? The "tests" in that video are without merit and a sales rep for a brand should know better. It's a goofy video with goofy tests and shows nothing about how either oil actually performs in an ICE under real-world conditions.

Of course like rooflessVW correctly pointed out, if that is all you have then maybe I shouldn't be so critical. It's not as if you can list the stringent manufacturer approvals or certifications that one meets over the other.

I don't care how good it is, and I hear that it is the holy grail of oils for my ever-hated 6.0, But if I can't walk into a store and buy it for a reasonable price I'll never use it. I personally think the MLM schemes are so dumb especially for oil. At least AMSOIL wisened up some and began allowing their oils to be sold in some retail stores albeit at stupid prices.

I wish it were that easy in real life. LOL

Life would be so much more peaceful.

I'm serious.

I'm in a good mood. Smile on my face. Coffee beside me on my desk. Being entertained by my favorite forum. Life is good!

Originally Posted by dippschtick
36.gif

I like Schaeffer's also, but that's going to bring out the M1 contingent....
27.gif

I prefer what works

mobil1 got my old car to 180k that was before the transmission blew it self apart (Yes the engine was VERY heavily abused hence the transmission failure)..

but those old 3800 series 2 were very reliable (mechanical wise)

28.gif
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
Originally Posted by dippschtick
36.gif

I like Schaeffer's also, but that's going to bring out the M1 contingent....
27.gif

I prefer what works

mobil1 got my old car to 180k that was before the transmission blew it self apart (Yes the engine was VERY heavily abused hence the transmission failure)..

but those old 3800 series 2 were very reliable (mechanical wise)

28.gif
smirk2.gif

LMBO 180k with a 3800 V6 can be done with Dollar general store brand oil. The Mobil didn't have a darn thing to do with that bud...

Well, I think I will stick with Schaeffer. My Detroit Diesel S60 12.7L has been on the stuff since I bought it and dropped it in my semi truck as a factory reman motor. I typically will change oil at 50% longer than the OEM recommended OCI. The motor now has well over 1 million miles on it ( 1,019,240 ) since the reman and is all original except the water pump. And it only uses 1 quart max in about 11-12,000 miles. I use 15w40 in the warm months and 10w30 in the cold months. The truck runs only in the upper midwest all year long including the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc, but primarily Nebraska to Ohio, staying north of I-70.

Yeah, it may have a green tint, but it sure does the job. Mobil1, or really Delvac1 since we are talking about diesels here, wouldn't be any cheaper than the Schaeffer CK-4 syn blend I am using and I have yet to find any Mobil dealer that will ship product to my house free of charge like Schaeffer does. I cannot even get the Delvac Extreme syn blend in my area at a better value.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Well, I think I will stick with Schaeffer. My Detroit Diesel S60 12.7L has been on the stuff since I bought it and dropped it in my semi truck as a factory reman motor. I typically will change oil at 50% longer than the OEM recommended OCI. The motor now has well over 1 million miles on it ( 1,019,240 ) since the reman and is all original except the water pump. And it only uses 1 quart max in about 11-12,000 miles. I use 15w40 in the warm months and 10w30 in the cold months. The truck runs only in the upper midwest all year long including the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc, but primarily Nebraska to Ohio, staying north of I-70.

Yeah, it may have a green tint, but it sure does the job. Mobil1, or really Delvac1 since we are talking about diesels here, wouldn't be any cheaper than the Schaeffer CK-4 syn blend I am using and I have yet to find any Mobil dealer that will ship product to my house free of charge like Schaeffer does. I cannot even get the Delvac Extreme syn blend in my area at a better value.

That sounds like a good enough reason to me for sticking with the product.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint

That sounds like a good enough reason to me for sticking with the product.
thumbsup2.gif

Roger that!

That's the great testimonial.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back