ScanTool.net products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody in the forum use or own a OBDII product (interface or software) from ScanTool.net? They just released the ElmScan5 that supports all OBDII protocols (including CAN) for a reasonable price so it is pretty tempting. Just wondering it anybody has had good or bad experiences with their products... Considering all manufacturers need to go to CAN protocol after 2008, it is probably a good idea to get an OBDII scanner that supports it.

The Elm is a chip that converts ISO/VPW/PWM protocols to RS-232. (I didn't know they had released a CAN version, that's very neat).

Since most recent factory car stereos use one of those four protocols to communicate with and control the CD changer or the Sirius/XM tuner, I always thought it would be a neat project to use an Elm to make a Linux machine with a soundcard emulate a CD changer or Sirius/XM tuner (maybe to be an mp3 jukebox). Or maybe use one in conjunction with a PIC (a microcontroller) to make an IPOD or an aftermarket Sirius/XM tuner interface so you can connect those to your factory car stereo.

Scanguage looks ok but those menu and screens would drive me nuts... I own an old Palm and a laptop so I was looking for something supported for those platforms with data logging.

Thanks for the info.

you'll like scantool.net the best then, there's aftermarket software that'll run on a 386 laptop with 2 megs ram in DOS!

I have the scantool.net, like it for the price, but I'm lazy, and use the included GUI.

Bugs the tar out of me that OBD-II was supposed to be "standard" but now a decade later the interface chips are still pricey, they've got different protocols, and the "generic" data set is still medicore.
mad.gif

I hear you, eljefino. I was surprised to learn there are so many different protocols... I hope the adoption of CAN puts an end to it, at least for new vehicles.

Does your scantool product works reliably? Any connection issues? Can you get stuff like sensor data without glitches? That's one of my main concerns.
It seems they have a pretty decent tech/prod support and a user forum at their site, but browsing thru it, I see many people having connection/communication issues.

grin.gif

Nothing wrong with trying to save some bucks... Don't mind if I ask you which vehicles you have used it with?

Yeah, that's what I liked the best. Lots of freeware available. Of course, with freeware, tech support may be limited or none-existent, but heck, that sometimes also happens with software you have pay for...

It seems the ElmScan5 (ELM327) was just released so I'm going to wait a bit for the "bugs" to be resolved. It is good to know their other protocol converters work as advertised.

Thanks for your reply!!

Have you looked at Auto Enginuity (if I spelled it right). They have versions for PC, Palm and Pocket PC. Once you buy the adapter, future software is free. For $50 they will add a daughter card for CAN. I have been using mine for a few years and may consider an upgrade when I have a car that needs CAN.

What drives me nuts the most is I can get total timing advance (which is an open data bit) but no knock retard (which is proprietary.) What I should be able to get, I get reliably.

I got the super ghetto kit where I had to build my own 9-pin cable. Used a piece of cat-5 plus one other wire strand. If I had to do it again I'd buy their pre-made cable for $25. And I'm cheap.

I think you can download the software for free without buying anything, see if the sensors you're interested in are there. Despite promises from many, proprietary data haven't been decoded through the elm chip, so different aftermarket software delivers the same stuff in a different organization.

Well my 02 Cavalier is into my pocket again. Check engine light came on, $142 for the Helm factory shop manual. Mostly useless without a scan tool of some type. Don't have a lap top. Decide to go with a Scan Gauge, $130. Long before I had both, the light went away by its self. Not to worry, the car is 4 years old and 70 K on it. My wife is back on the 30 miles each way job.

Didn't work the first time I plugged it in. Emailed them, and received a prompt suggestion to check the fuse. Dug through the book and figured out which one. Likely I blew it fooling around when the check engine light came on.

I am horrified at how complex the Cavalier is. I hate to think what a Cadillac or some of the expensive foreign cars might be like. I had the shop manual for my 92 Grand Am too. Completely different and way, way more complicated. The Grand Am might be half way between the Cavalier and my LUV truck.

If any skilled DIY's out there are thinking about put money into old car/buy new, if you can fix what you have, maybe better keep it. A Chilton's and a jumper wire are not going to do it. Don't even know if my $272 will. I know I will spend a long time digging usable info out of the book.

Might take a look at some of the newer appliances too. Some of them are getting out of hand.

Labman, knowing pre-96 GMs and their underdash connector, and the ease of pulling trouble codes, I know what you did to blow that fuse.
grin.gif

Even the mid-80s carbureted GM vehicles have the underdash connector with codes and the data stream. I'm not sure what data is available but I think you could even get long-term fuel trim (aka block learn)!

''Labman, knowing pre-96 GMs and their underdash connector, and the ease of pulling trouble codes, I know what you did to blow that fuse. ''

Shssssss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back