Scan tool for used car buying

Just today I used Carly for the first time. It may become my favorite. Tbh, bluedriver is the one I'd recommend due to live data, however for coding and pulling codes on German cars....Carly is great. If you have the cash, I'd pick up a bluedriver and Carly.
****it, know you have me wanting to get a blue driver. I was going back and forth between Veepeak and blue driver. Ended up with Veepeak. It does what I need I guess.

****it, know you have me wanting to get a blue driver. I was going back and forth between Veepeak and blue driver. Ended up with Veepeak. It does what I need I guess.
Let me know how veepeak works out for you. I'm always on the lookout for another obd2 tool. It's kind of a "male shoe collection" for me.

I just wanted it for basic stuff. Her daughter had a misfire in cylinder #1 and when I went to Oriellys they had an Optima ( I believe) and wanted my own.

Started researching and seen them both. I didn’t think I needed to spend $100 when I could get roughly the same thing for $45. I just need/wanted it for very basic stuff

Just today I used Carly for the first time. It may become my favorite. Tbh, bluedriver is the one I'd recommend due to live data, however for coding and pulling codes on German cars....Carly is great. If you have the cash, I'd pick up a bluedriver and Carly.
Thanks for that info. Right on point.

Say you wanted to take a scan tool with you to look at a used car, if they cleared any codes to mark a problem, would a scan tool be able to tell you that?

Or is that not possible?

Say you wanted to take a scan tool with you to look at a used car, if they cleared any codes to mark a problem, would a scan tool be able to tell you that?

Or is that not possible?
It is! is just picked up the OBDlink SX software with OBD to usb. it gives you info such as miles since DTC cleared, and number of warm ups since DTC being cleared. I don't know if you would be able to see though, "what" trouble code was cleared? Im not sure on that.
IMG_1816.jpeg
IMG_1821.jpeg

(Last two lines for DTC cleared info.)

Reactions: Y_K
It is! is just picked up the OBDlink SX software with OBD to usb. it gives you info such as miles since DTC cleared, and number of warm ups since DTC being cleared. I don't know if you would be able to see though, "what" trouble code was cleared? Im not sure on that.
View attachment 115488View attachment 115489
(Last two lines for DTC cleared info.)
And it should have read “if they cleared codes to “mask” a problem”

But thank you, that is good to know. I just have a Veepeak plus but not sure if that would be able to do that

Or is that not possible?
Yup.

Even mid grade $100 prosumer scanners will tell you "mileage since DTC clear."

They also show about a dozen emissions monitors (I/M) and whether they are complete or not.

Some are decided almost instantly when you start the car, so a simple in-driveway test drive will set them yes or no. You don't need to worry much about these.

Two biggies-- catalyst and EVAP-- take the longest to decide yay or nay, and are the most expensive and annoying to fix. If you scan to find everything set but one of these two, be very very careful with that car. Maybe ask the seller to drive it around for a week until the monitors are set, and see what his reaction is.

If you're looking for mileage since clearing DTC, even a $10 Chinese Elm 327 will do. For such simple things, software is more important. For example, I use a program called Piston along with the cheap $10 scanners to look for such things along with simple codes.

When buying a used car from a private party, especially a German or high end car.....scratch that, these days, ANY car, odometer rollback is probably the most important.

Having a tool that can tap into all the modules that store mileage is critical. Carly does that, especially on German cats.

Even a $100+ is a worthy investment when car buying.

If you're looking for mileage since clearing DTC, even a $10 Chinese Elm 327 will do. For such simple things, software is more important. For example, I use a program called Piston along with the cheap $10 scanners to look for such things along with simple codes.

When buying a used car from a private party, especially a German or high end car.....scratch that, these days, ANY car, odometer rollback is probably the most important.

Having a tool that can tap into all the modules that store mileage is critical. Carly does that, especially on German cats.

Even a $100+ is a worthy investment when car buying.
I look like a loser replying to my own post, but I want to clear something up.

In no way there is a tool that scans German CATS. It will not tell you which paws have what mileage and if they differ.

In no way am I recommending sticking a electronic device up.......Never mind. You get it. I meant German CARS.....WITH A R NOT A T.

I guess you guys answered my question. I was just curious if they cleared a check engine or whatever knowing their was a code, just to turn it off so if you were to look at the vehicle and didn’t have a scan tool you wouldn’t know there was a check engine light or something else that popped up that they turned off

Yup.

Even mid grade $100 prosumer scanners will tell you "mileage since DTC clear."

They also show about a dozen emissions monitors (I/M) and whether they are complete or not.

Some are decided almost instantly when you start the car, so a simple in-driveway test drive will set them yes or no. You don't need to worry much about these.

Two biggies-- catalyst and EVAP-- take the longest to decide yay or nay, and are the most expensive and annoying to fix. If you scan to find everything set but one of these two, be very very careful with that car. Maybe ask the seller to drive it around for a week until the monitors are set, and see what his reaction is.
Yes, you are correct. I went and plugged in my Veepeak ble + into my car and it did show that information. I use OBD Fusion on my iPhone. I reset it on mine. But that is good to know

Attachments

• 21AF2E97-5A5A-4DA4-9DD1-6F7DBCA7CBCE.jpg
    21AF2E97-5A5A-4DA4-9DD1-6F7DBCA7CBCE.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 19
Scan for complete emission I/M monitors. If they haven't just been cleared before your arrival you're in the cream of the crop.
100% agree. If there's a service engine light I don't want the car (we have emissions testing that could be open-ended just to pass). But if you've reset just before I showed up, the I/M readiness won't be in "ready."

So I have this one which does the trick:

I also have this one because my wife's GM had an ABS light turn on. During the pandemic, the battery died and the airbag warning was on. This worked on both issues and at the time was $78:

But again, the cheap one is good enough imho....

grey market thinkdiag is flooding ebay. bring a your favorite chinese tablet and you win

grey market thinkdiag is flooding ebay. bring a your favorite chinese tablet and you win
Appears great. You have experience with this thing? Thanks

Appears great. You have experience with this thing? Thanks
yes it is same as launch x431 pro and similar

only difference is locked bootloader which means it can only work on thinkdiag server. after it expires it turns into a normal junk thinkdiag where they want 40 dollars per make.

after 1 year/36 month depending on the version you buy just throw in the garbage buy another one

Last edited:
A lot of the youtube mechanics are sponsored by carly and it seems simple enough.
Samcrac peddles it like no tomorrow. I started watching him recently.

Every time he comes on, I want to yell

MAAAAAAAAAAa.... THE MEATLOAF MAAAAAAA!!!!

Back