Scan tool for used car buying

I am planning to look at used cars soon, and was wondering what would be a good scan tool.

Was thinking that a BAFX dongle and the free versions of Carly apps would work.

Any other suggestions?

just run your final selections by a brick and mortar parts store to have the codes read and to test battery and alternator all for free

You want just obd2 codes or be able to scan all modules? The latter will be a few hundred bucks minimum. What do you expect to learn with scanning a car?
Not really. You can just get the Autel AP200. Scans all subsystems. But only does one car line for free, I think each additional car line is an additional $22 charge. OP should stick to one brand and then just needs to activate it for one car line. Now with the 20% off code, about $55.

The BAFX one is also good in an emergency, but it's just a basic engine and emissions code scanner. You'll find all sorts of other codes and possibility ones from other subsystems that won't show up with a basic scanner.

Reactions: Y_K
I have always found the BAFX dongle difficult to pair even after successfully pairing it. On the other hand, I have had zero problems with a Veepeak OBDII dongle from Amazon that is less expensive than the BAFX dongle. Here is the link:

Using the Veepeak dongle and the Torque Pro app lets me get information from virtually every system in my vehicles. Total cost is under $25.00.

I have always found the BAFX dongle difficult to pair even after successfully pairing it. On the other hand, I have had zero problems with a Veepeak OBDII dongle from Amazon that is less expensive than the BAFX dongle. Here is the link:

Using the Veepeak dongle and the Torque Pro app lets me get information from virtually every system in my vehicles. Total cost is under $25.00.
Have those been updated so that they now scan various subsystems like Transmission, ABS, SRS, etc?

I brought one with me when I bought the grand marquis. I decided to not use it. I should have. I would have found that they cleared the codes because of the misfire ...
Oh yeah, for Ford and maybe Mazda, Forscan does a lot and it's free, you can even program new keys.

Wolf359, I know mine will read ABS codes and data, and I monitor the transmission fluid temp on a couple of our vehicles. I am not sure how "deep" the Veepeak/Torque Pro setup will delve into transmissions and SRS stuff.

Wolf359, I know mine will read ABS codes and data, and I monitor the transmission fluid temp on a couple of our vehicles. I am not sure how "deep" the Veepeak/Torque Pro setup will delve into transmissions and SRS stuff.
Transmission temperature isn't the same as pulling transmission error codes. That other scanner I mentioned and others pull all subsystem error codes, like I have keyless go on my Mercedes and it will pull error codes for that subsystem along with 30+ other ones. Torque Pro is a more basic scanner that may do a few other subsystems but in the past, it mostly just did engine and emissions codes. Usually the key is that if you can pull info from a particular subsystem, you're able to clear error codes from that subsystem.

Been a big fan of bluedriver. Love the live 02 sensor data which I use a bunch.

Also been a fan of OBD11 for Audi.

My bud came by with a Carista OBD2. I was completely blown away. I can't wait to buy one soon.

Been a big fan of bluedriver. Love the live 02 sensor data which I use a bunch.

Also been a fan of OBD11 for Audi.

My bud came by with a Carista OBD2. I was completely blown away. I can't wait to buy one soon.
Based on your experience, which do you think is better of the two?

Based on your experience, which do you think is better of the two?
Just today I used Carly for the first time. It may become my favorite. Tbh, bluedriver is the one I'd recommend due to live data, however for coding and pulling codes on German cars....Carly is great. If you have the cash, I'd pick up a bluedriver and Carly.

Back