Sam Bankman Fried 25 year sentence - did parents advise to show no remorse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he is a sociopath. Autism has little to do with it.
Sam Brinkman Fried was accepted to and is a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), one of the world's highest rated universities.

So I am not that knowledgeable of the federal system. I know some crimes you can get parole as early as 1/3 of the term? Is this one of those crimes? I presume - since it was non violent?

So he serves 8 and 1/3 and is out. He likely has $100M stashed somewhere. The parole board will be bought and paid for.

Thats why Maddoff got 150 years, even though he was old.

So why show remorse, crime paid?

There is no federal parole (eliminated over 35 years ago) and sentences are determinate unless they're life sentences. There is time that can be reduced for "good conduct time" but the sentence has to be at least a year.

SUMMARY:​

The Bureau of Prisons (Bureau or BOP) modifies regulations on Good Conduct Time (GCT) credit to conform with legislative changes under the First Step Act (FSA). The changes made by the FSA to the process for awarding GCT credit have resulted in recalculation of the release date of most inmates. This final rule adopts the same calculation method set forth in the proposed rule published on this subject, and finalizes that proposed rule with the following minor change(s) described below.​

There can be supervised release. There was also quite a bit of compassionate release around the time of COVID-19 for nonviolent crimes. But that was often required to be home confinement.

I recall with some of the shorter term prison terms (Operation Varsity Blues) some of the convicted had short terms where they hired sentencing experts to help them with when to report. It might have been possible to shave off a few days - especially if a release date would be on a holiday. Doesn't make much of a difference for long terms.

So why show remorse, crime paid?
A gambler won't feel remorse when he lose, he just accepted that the probability was not in his favor.

Many crooks never got caught, either because they know when to cash out and retire, or they know how to butter up and share their loot with the right people. The best one? They lobby and buy the laws that protect them.

Sam Brinkman Fried was accepted to and is a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), one of the world's highest rated universities.
Because his parents had money and influence. I am willing to bet there are hundreds of Bitog'ers who are fully capable of succeeding and graduating from MIT - but because their parents are working class people they'll never have the opportunity. In ways America has its own caste system.

Scott

It's means it's highly unlikely.

Ok….

Maybe Ted Bundy…?Was on the spectrum too…

Or Jeffrey Dahmer.::.

Or how about Timothy Mc Veigh…

Nah….:

No way…

Maybe… Just maybe…. There are a certain percentage of people who are unrepentant pieces of garbage…

Yeah..: that’s actually the case here I bet.

Except Dad received a $16.4 million home, $10 million cash plus assorted other benefits from FTX, advised Sam, worked for a salary, controlled donations and political contributions, etc., etc.
They weren't just the parents, they were involved up to their eyeballs. It remains to be seen if they will be charged.
THAT does make a difference. Huge in fact. They were MORE than just parents, and near partners if true.

I have a niece that is on spectrum, she knows right from wrong but her parents didn't ignore their responsibilities to set boundaries unlike SBF's.

So does he but we're not talking about
Ok….

Maybe Ted Bundy…?Was on the spectrum too…

Or Jeffrey Dahmer.::.

Or how about Timothy Mc Veigh…

Nah….:

No way…

Maybe… Just maybe…. There are a certain percentage of people who are unrepentant pieces of garbage…

Yeah..: that’s actually the case here I bet.
They were all mentally ill. You guys act like I'm suggesting he's not responsible for his actions.

Sam isn't mentally ill.

So does he but we're not talking about

They were all mentally ill. You guys act like I'm suggesting he's not responsible for his actions.

Sam isn't mentally ill.
Actually, McVeigh had a vendetta against the government for what happened to him (atrocities committed/sanctioned by his commanding officers (against unarmed civilians.) I don't believe he was mentally ill, just 100% committed to the mission of his own mind. Hurting others and killing innocent people never entered his mind because it basically 'shattered" by what happened to him. I'm NOT in any way condoning his actions. Absolutely reprehensible and horrendous. But one can see what happens when a core belief system was betrayed by those he held in regard.

Bankman and his parents KNEW exactly what they were doing when they did it. The reward far outweighed the consequences (As you can tell by the final verdict, it wasn't that bad. He'll most likely be out in 5-6 years with good behavior and his "parents"/contributions helping that happen while he's serving time.)

Point is - There's crazy, and then there's.... CRAZY. Bankman isn't crazy. Dahmer.... well yeah... disturbed to the MAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back