Safe to use up my 5w30 in 5w20 spec vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 F150 with a 5.0 V8. The manual and oil cap specify 5w20 for all conditions. However, I still own a case of 5w30 full synthetic from my old vehicle. Is it safe to use this up for the next 2 oil changes and then switch back to 5w20? Anything I should consider or worry about? Thanks in advance for considering my situation.

You'll probably cause irreparable bearing damage with that molasses 30wt. The truck will never run right.

Use CAUTION!

Completely safe. The Mustang with the 5.0 can use up to 5w50(with track pack).

If you are worried, just mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with the 5w20.

Hey, I know it's not a huge deal - but it is still under warranty and the winters here can get down to -20F for a couple of weeks. I think I'll still probably "risk" it.

The 5W in 5W20 is the same as the 5W in 5W30, so there's no reason not to run it because it's winter.

Your truck would probably rather have the 5w30 anyway.
laugh.gif

Yes its safe

4.6l fords are the same deal. Some run 5w30 like they used to be specd for, some run 5w20 as ford specs now.

I have two crown vics that one runs 15w40 and one has 20w50 in it. Both spend the summers redlining at the dirt track.

You shal be good.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The 5W in 5W20 is the same as the 5W in 5W30, so there's no reason not to run it because it's winter.

That and the same engine outside NA probably specs at least 5w30.

Originally Posted By: fenpark15
Hey, I know it's not a huge deal - but it is still under warranty and the winters here can get down to -20F for a couple of weeks. I think I'll still probably "risk" it.
As far as the warranty. How would they know if you don't tell them? They're not going to do an oil analysis on good looking oil. Even if they did most xW-30s are so close to the 20 side it'd probably be a 20 by the time they tested it.

I have a 2012 F150 with a 5.0 V8. The manual and oil cap specify 5w20 for all conditions. However, I still own a case of 5w30 full synthetic from my old vehicle. Is it safe to use this up for the next 2 oil changes and then switch back to 5w20? Anything I should consider or worry about? Thanks in advance for considering my situation.

It will probably be OK, but considering what new vehicles cost, why take a chance? I would put in the recommended viscosity.

Originally Posted By: stchman

It will probably be OK, but considering what new vehicles cost, why take a chance? I would put in the recommended viscosity.

Of course it'll be ok. Going a grade thicker isn't going to hurt anything.

Engines are built to work with a range of lubricants,because there is no such thing as a one size fits all.
Do they sell that engine in Australia,or Europe. Have a look at what they specific over there.
So by all means use it fenpark. And don't pay any attention to anyone spouting the nonsense that you absolutely NEED to use a 20 or they won't work properly.
It's total nonsense. All those same systems work just fine when a 20 grade is used during the winter,when the 20 grade is hundreds of times thicker than at operating temp. Those systems work as designed when cold.
How is it even remotely possible for an oil that's a grade thicker Than the NA spec when the only difference between the 2 grades is the hot spec.
When cold(below freezing) both grades share the 5 which means they behave similarily when chilled.

So to conclude and sum up;
There is absolutely no reason not to use it if you've got it laying around. It's nonsensical to believe harm will come.
Not by going thicker by a single grade.
Thinner may not be smart but thicker,gimme a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back