Rust remover/inhibitor for prepping solvent tank

I acquired a parts cleaner Safety Kleen model 34 that I am going to use in my new shop. It's pretty rusty on the inside. I'm going to scrape all the muck out and get the loose stuff, put what is the best product for cleaning the rust?

20221104_113608.jpg

20221104_113612.jpg

Once you start knocking those chunks out, you're gonna have a leak. Be prepared to do some welding, wire wheel brushing and grinding. Once you're all done with that and down to solid metal, a good coat of two part epoxy should keep it rust free for a long time.

How thick is the metal? If the metal is sufficiently thick, after removing the rust as much as possible I would use phosphoric acid (ie Ospho). After the acid has done its thing, wash off the acid. I'd use ethanol or isopropyl alcohol with the highest alcohol percentage I can find. Then I'd pain the treated area with boiled linseed oil. When that's dry after a few weeks, I'd paint over it with an oil-based enamel or antifouling marine paint. The rust will eventually return but you can slow its progression down considerably.

Back