Running oil filter 200hrs on a commercial mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So kawasaki says change the oil every 100hrs and filter every 200. I know oil temps on a commercial mower and air cooler engines in general run pretty hot. I run fram ultras, but the excessive heat has me worried about its lifespan. I heard they just tell you to change the filter every other change to reduce their Maintenance tax the government implements. They may not be the correct term though.

You should be fine with the Kawasaki intervals. I doubt Kawasaki gives a hoot if it saves customers money on maintenance, as they want to protect their warranty. I'd think they would actually prefer you to do more maintenance so they make money.

Keep in mind, for commercial use, 200 hours comes up pretty quick. For the average Joe Homeowner, 200 hours could be a couple years. Fuel dilution and moisture are more damaging compared to constant use at operating temp. Use a good HDEO, and a decent filter and change them at 100 and 200 hours per the Kawasaki recommendation.

The oil in my 14hp Kawasaki motor in my John Deer got very hot, around $300 after a 2 hour mow in 90F temps. The oil also is used in t he hydraulic unit but is somewhat separated.

I put a plate type ATF cooler on it with an adapter plate. The temps now seldom get over 225F. I only put about 50 hours a year on it. Have gone to two year oil/filter changes.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The oil in my 14hp Kawasaki motor in my John Deer got very hot, around $300 after a 2 hour mow in 90F temps. The oil also is used in t he hydraulic unit but is somewhat separated.

I put a plate type ATF cooler on it with an adapter plate. The temps now seldom get over 225F. I only put about 50 hours a year on it. Have gone to two year oil/filter changes.

300 is way to hot for engine longevity, good call on the atf cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back