Run your car on wood, not electricity or hydrogen

Saw these articles way back in the day - even saw video of a Korean car running on wood and coal.

US Govt published an article on how to do this during "lean times" around the WWII

Been a big fan, and have messed about with wood gas and charcoal over decades. A bloke I used to work with convereted a landcruiser petrol 6 to wood gas.

My Grandad was very proficient with them during WW2, and post war, and in the day converted some of his neighbour's oil heaters to wood gas.

A lot of cities were run on Coal Gas, including the one I'm in now, where they gassified coal to feed the town....same or similar process, however there was a water addition on the top end ones. The gas was high in Hydrogen and Carbon Monoxide - which is where the old suicide tradition of putting one's head in the oven came in in both UK and Oz.

The Gasometer in town only came down 25 or so years ago.

Saw these articles way back in the day - even saw video of a Korean car running on wood and coal.

US Govt published an article on how to do this during "lean times" around the WWII

I love it. I would burn hickory... The exhaust would have a BBQ smell...

For the one-off guy or gal in the deep woods, with many hectares of free wood, this might be an interesting side-line diversion from boredom.
It's a very interesting process and unique enough to incite intrigue in any gearhead. But ....

It'd never work for the rest of us in the modern world for the following reasons:
- the soot exhaust byproduct it produces dwarfs the allowable particulate matter limit that any three-letter agency would approve of
- the "efficiency" is horrible; well below any other common fuel source
- the source (firewood) is not nearly renewable enough for en-mass scale application; trees would never grow as fast as needed for large population
- the gas-density mixing requirement would cause lean/rich burns, which in turn would cause huge fluctuations in the environmentally evil toxic gases (CO, CO2, NOx, ... unless we could somehow develop a computer-controlled burn cycle ...)
- the fuel has to be fed at a reasonably steady rate; you can't get hundreds of miles of "drive time" off one load of wood for the average gas hopper size. Sure, you could upsize the hopper, but then you have a massive ballast you'd be dragging around (this won't fit in the trunk of your average car)
- the fuel hopper has to be constantly fed for even a remote hope of a moderately steady gas rate. Note in the video they mention a person constantly feeds the hopper; this ain't a one-man show.
- the "start up" of these isn't quick; you don't just jump in and go
- the power-density is awful; say goodbye to quick acceleration or towing heavy loads
- etc ...

It's really cool to see, and would be fun to experience in person. But it's just an anecdotal trip down memory lane and nothing more.

Last edited:
Back