RP's Synchromax didn't hold up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the trans fluid in the Ranger last night. Has the M5OD and the RP has been in there for 31k. Put it in at 5k and now 36k.. maybe I should of flushed it with regular first? Shifting has been very notchy for sometime and likes to pop out of third gear (although I think that's my fault). Last winter it was like shifting a stick in mud. Came out like water quite a bit thinner than it came in (trans was cold) and the sludge on the magnetic was enough to make it twice it's original size. The only reason I put it in there is I figured it would hold up better than any Mercon flavor. And no it's never been flooded.

Put ST Mercon V with 2 ounces of Lubeguard Red back in. Just around the block a big difference. Thinking of running it 15k and changing it again. Starting to wonder what the rear diff looks like as it was changed at the same time.

This isn't the first story I've heard about RP's stuff shearing down to water in a transmission or differential.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
This isn't the first story I've heard about RP's stuff shearing down to water in a transmission or differential.

Indeed. I was unimpressed with Synchromax in my BMW, despite the bimmer-file fan worship of the product line. (Perhaps they don't fully understand there are other synchromesh options out there).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

First I've heard of it.. had to learn the hard way I guess. Half tempted to change the diff out.

Very interesting, particularly when considering I just purchased 3 quarts to put in the 5 sp manual tranny of my Patriot. Has a notchy shift and OEM spec is ATF+4. Tried Redline C+ and it didn't make that big of a difference.
Maybe I'll try it and change it out around 10-15K

Eric - Did your Ranger shift any better when you 1st put the RP in?

A UOA would've been needed to draw a conclusion.

Any ~7cst fluid with shear a couple points in ~30k of usage.

RP gear oils have shown serious shearing. So, makes you wonder how low it went.

30k is the max for any gearbox with fluid. If the truck is worked or abused, shorten the interval.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
A UOA would've been needed to draw a conclusion.

Any ~7cst fluid with shear a couple points in ~30k of usage.

30k is the max for any gearbox with fluid. If the truck is worked or abused, shorten the interval.

I agree. A UOA would have been nice. Still people scoff at Amsoil's gear oil study (not directly applicable here I know) but it did show RP with huge shearing....some here have even challenged Amsoil's ethics for publishing the numbers. Not an attack on RP, just published, verifiable numbers.

Quote:
.... Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90, at 19.32 cSt,...exceed the maximum 18.49cSt initial viscosity (red), failing the SAE J306 requirements for SAE 90 gear lubricants. All other gear lubricants were within the required high-temperature viscosity range prior to the KRL Shear Stability Test.
Viscosity measurements following the KRL Shear Stability Test revealed that seven gear lubes sheared down below the
minimum viscosity requirements (orange), failing the shear stability requirements of the SAE J306. The two gear lubes with
the largest viscosity loss, as reflected in the following graph, were Royal Purple, losing 40.6% of its viscosity...

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

Originally Posted By: unDummy

I had RP Synchromax in my manual trans for only 25,000km. What is that? 15k mi? It was noticeably thinned.

If I had known it was that bad I would of did an UOA. They have synchromax for $13 at OReillys. In comparison ST Mercon V was 3.77. With how much easier it is to shift with the Mercon IMO the M5OD prefers ATF over the MTL formula's. But if I had a decent MTL to begin with who knows. Funny I would of had Redline in there but AAP decided to screw around with my order. Going to change the diff out next week we'll see it's just the MTL with the problem. Nothing like money wasted.

I recently switched out the RP synchromax in my manual gearbox, it had about 30k on it and shifting was starting to get a bit notchy. The RP was an improvement on the factory recommended ATF+4, but the Pennzoil synchromesh I have in there now gives the best shift quality of the fluids I have used yet.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I recently switched out the RP synchromax in my manual gearbox, it had about 30k on it and shifting was starting to get a bit notchy. The RP was an improvement on the factory recommended ATF+4, but the Pennzoil synchromesh I have in there now gives the best shift quality of the fluids I have used yet.

TurboLuver - What type of vehicle?

Originally Posted By: harbor
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

TurboLuver - What type of vehicle?

2004 SRT4, NVG T-850 trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back