RP gear oil and limited slip additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to change the rear diff fluid in my truck. I want to use Royal Purple but I am not sure if I can use the trans X LSD additive. Does anyone know if this will negatively effect the oil? Many thanks!

I have an LSD, and I have read that the gear oils with the additive in them already end up making the Toyota LSD chatter, and cause people to have to add a bottle of LSD additive. I have the bottle I was just curious as to the effect on the oil, I would not think it would hurt it bad, but there are many people here that have alot more knowledge than I on this subject. Thanks for the quick replies!

Well I took the plunge and changed it with the additive. I have put several hundred miles on it so far with no ill behavior. I use three qts of RP 75-90 (the truck calls for 80-90 but...) and I added in a partial tube of Tran X LSD additive. I will report back any findings if I get anything out of the ordinary. Thanks again for the replies!

My Toyota LSD runs fine with just the additive already in the gear oil (nor RP). After the oil change I ran the truck very slowly in tight figure-eights to work the new oil into the clutches. I bought the extra additive and never used it...no chatter from the rear so no need for the additive.

It seems every application is a bit different than every other. Regardless what oil you choose, I would be prepared to use a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) additive.

If any gear oil says NOT to use a LSD additive because of possible compatibility issues, I would pick another brand of gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back