ROYAL TRITON OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
Back in the 1960s I used an oil called Royal Triton that was purple.Does anyone remember that ?? Did this become Royal Purple somewhere down the line??

Originally Posted By: VRAY
Hi guys
Back in the 1960s I used an oil called Royal Triton that was purple.Does anyone remember that ?? Did this become Royal Purple somewhere down the line??

I have *heard* that the founder of Royal Purple worked for at Royal Triton before he retired and started his own company.

I have NO idea what so ever if it is true. . . . .

Marilyn Monroe advertised for Union Oil back in the day. Her car was "Cynthia" and she wanted the best for it. That apparently was Royal Triton according to her. Royal Triton was a deep purple color, and my Dad ran a lot of it in a 66 Dart.
Punch up YouTube for the Marilyn ads.

I used Royal Triton in the early 50's. It was a product of Union 76 oil co. Any good? Dunno. The best in those days was any brand of Pennsylvania based oils. John--Las Vegas.

I used Royal Triton in the late 60s and early 70s with success. My dad also used it. It was purple in colar. Before that I used QS and had sludge problems so I switched to RT. When I lived in Maine RT was not available so I switched to Valvoline HD straight wt oils.

Royal Purple use to sell an oil they called Triton on their commercial site. I have not seen that named used in a while as I think they now just call it Royal Purple 15W-40.

yeah, I used in in the late 60's in a 68 Impala 327. It was very good motor oil.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Hi guys

I have *heard* that the founder of Royal Purple worked for at Royal Triton before he retired and started his own company.

I have NO idea what so ever if it is true. . . . .

John Williams started Royal Purple in 1986. He did work in the oil industry as far back as the 40's and 50's though. RP was not started until 1986 however.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Royal Purple use to sell an oil they called Triton on their commercial site. I have not seen that named used in a while as I think they now just call it Royal Purple 15W-40.

I never heard of them using Triton on anything but they have and still do offer a commecial line called Long Rider for diesel applications.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Johnny

I never heard of them using Triton on anything but they have and still do offer a commecial line called Long Rider for diesel applications.

You are 100% correct, it is Long Rider. I stand corrected.

No.

It was a brand name of Union Oil.

It is still used in some markets:

Greco Oil

Royal Purple Triton was advertised many times in my father's old National Geographic Mags 1920's thru late 1939 when I was a little boy in the late 40's & it was marketed as a Premium oil.

I recently came upon the new website
Royal Purple Triton, www.royalpurple.com Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Purple_(lubricant_manufacturer)
One Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
Phone:
281-354-8600
888-382-6300

klxdrt

Last edited:
Originally Posted by klxdrt
Royal Purple Triton was advertised many times in my father's old National Geographic Mags 1920's thru late 1939 when I was a little boy in the late 40's & it was marketed as a Premium oil.

I recently came upon the new website
Royal Purple Triton, www.royalpurple.com Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Purple_(lubricant_manufacturer)
One Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
Phone:
281-354-8600
888-382-6300

klxdrt

Really? The company was founded in 1986.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back