Royal Purple XPR 5w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few people in the racing community have sworn off RP oils after seeing their bearings upon teardowns.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
[

Not really but some of us will question paying more the twice the amount for RP as other major bands of oil. Having said that I did pick up two jugs of RP last fall on sale at Walmart for $20 a jug. But since then I haven't seen it much under $38 a jug.

Yeah, this is a very typical BITOG'er: money/cost is the ULTIMATE deciding factor, always.

If you could buy RP XPR for $10-20/gallon....you'd probably hoard it like it was gold.

Someone people on here could care less about price. Spending $15 or $75 for a jug of oil isn't much to consider when performance or even perceived performance is their priority.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Phishin
Yeah, this is very typical BITOG'er.....money/cost is the ULTIMATE deciding factor, always.

If you could buy RP XPR for $10-20/gallon....you'd hoard it like it was gold.

Someone people on here, could careless about price. Spending $15 or $75 for a jug of oil isn't much to consider when performance or even perceived performance is their priority.

Not for me it's not. I go by the only proven performance metric there is - approvals. Anything else is a bunch of flashy nonsense and completely unsupported vague claims on websites.

No thanks, I like my engines and wish to purchase oils that have demonstrated efficacy. Even if I chose to purchase a Royal Purple API variant, what indication is there that it is better than any other API oil with the same license?

Originally Posted by deven

The reason why its expensive has nothing to do with the base oil but everything to do with their proprietary additive "synerlec" From what I have been told it is an expensive additive and the XPR oils have 4 times the amount than what their HPS version do.

IIRC, Synerlec is a sulphated ester, which coined the nickname "Royal Sulphur" some time back. It's an EP additive IIRC.

EP additives are organic compounds with P, Cl, or S, including chlorinated paraffins or aromatics, di- or polysulfurized organic compounds, sulfurized mineral oils, esters of aryl(alkyl)phosphoric acid, chlorinated and/or sulfurized fatty acids or olefins, esters of phosphoric acid, polyalkylene glycol, etc. (see Borsoff and Wagner, 1975). EP additives with various properties are used both for neat oils and for water-based fluids.

One must read closely. For example, below is the list of attributes for Royal Purple HPS. Out of that list the only real claim they make is that the HPS product has a unique formulation that "enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants". Note that they say "enable", it doesn't say that it actually performs better, only that it is enabled to do so. But even if one agrees it is better the vague statement that it allows it to "outperform" may be by 0.001% since no actual test results are provided. Furthermore since no brand names are given for comparison, no one knows which oils are inferior and which may be equal or even better.

The rest of the listing could be claimed by any oil that wishes to do so. Nothing in that entire list is unique to Royal Purple HPS except for the additive brand name.

HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL (WITH SYNERLEC®)

HPS is recommended for use in gasoline and diesel automotive, commercial fleet and stationary industrial engines.

Royal Purple® HPS® Series motor oil is specifically formulated to maximize performance and meet the demands of high performance and modified engines. HPS is recommended for vehicles no longer under manufacturer warranty and for those seeking a higher level of performance and protection.

Royal Purple HPS oils are fortified with a high level of zinc / phosphorus anti-wear additive and a generous dose of Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec® additive technology. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines.
PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGES

Exceptionally high film strength for dramatic reductions in engine wear and reduced engine heat to extend the life of your engine
Improved sealing between the piston ring and cylinder wall maximizes horsepower and torque and optimizes fuel economy
Exceptional oxidation stability extends oil life and allows for more miles driven between oil changes saving you time and money
Advanced synthetic solvency reduces engine deposits and keeps engines clean
Outstanding wear protection for valve train components, including performance roller lifter and high lift flat tappet camshafts and lifters
Superior corrosion protection

Originally Posted by kschachn
One must read closely. For example, below is the list of attributes for Royal Purple HPS. Out of that list the only real claim they make is that the HPS product has a unique formulation that "enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants". Note that they say "enable", it doesn't say that it actually performs better, only that it is enabled to do so. But even if one agrees it is better the vague statement that it allows it to "outperform" may be by 0.001% since no actual test results are provided. Furthermore since no brand names are given for comparison, no one knows which oils are inferior and which may be equal or even better.

The rest of the listing could be claimed by any oil that wishes to do so. Nothing in that entire list is unique to Royal Purple HPS except for the additive brand name.

HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL (WITH SYNERLEC®)

HPS is recommended for use in gasoline and diesel automotive, commercial fleet and stationary industrial engines.

Royal Purple® HPS® Series motor oil is specifically formulated to maximize performance and meet the demands of high performance and modified engines. HPS is recommended for vehicles no longer under manufacturer warranty and for those seeking a higher level of performance and protection.

Royal Purple HPS oils are fortified with a high level of zinc / phosphorus anti-wear additive and a generous dose of Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec® additive technology. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines.
PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGES

Exceptionally high film strength for dramatic reductions in engine wear and reduced engine heat to extend the life of your engine
Improved sealing between the piston ring and cylinder wall maximizes horsepower and torque and optimizes fuel economy
Exceptional oxidation stability extends oil life and allows for more miles driven between oil changes saving you time and money
Advanced synthetic solvency reduces engine deposits and keeps engines clean
Outstanding wear protection for valve train components, including performance roller lifter and high lift flat tappet camshafts and lifters
Superior corrosion protection

Ahh, but if you put an EP additive in your engine oil it enables you to use the one-armed-bandit to sling your product
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

The reason why its expensive has nothing to do with the base oil but everything to do with their proprietary additive "synerlec" From what I have been told it is an expensive additive and the XPR oils have 4 times the amount than what their HPS version do.

Does anybody know if their API line contains Synerlec?
I thought from looking at them years ago that only the HPS line and "above" used Synerlec, but I'm not sure. It isn't mentioned in the PDS for the API line.
http://www.royalpurpledirect.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

The API version does NOT have Synerlec. Only API version that does is their 5w40 version. Both HPS and XPR lines do have synerlec though. Hope this answers your question.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Phishin
Yeah, this is very typical BITOG'er.....money/cost is the ULTIMATE deciding factor, always.

If you could buy RP XPR for $10-20/gallon....you'd hoard it like it was gold.

Someone people on here, could careless about price. Spending $15 or $75 for a jug of oil isn't much to consider when performance or even perceived performance is their priority.

Not for me it's not. I go by the only proven performance metric there is - approvals. Anything else is a bunch of flashy nonsense and completely unsupported vague claims on websites.

No thanks, I like my engines and wish to purchase oils that have demonstrated efficacy. Even if I chose to purchase a Royal Purple API variant, what indication is there that it is better than any other API oil with the same license?

LOL you'll notice he has the low price spread in his

2010 Accord-LX K24: MaxLife 5w30 + Torco MPZ
2014 CR-V LX K24: M1 0w30

I just roared when I read his post.

Last edited:
Price is not an issue to me. I want the best for my truck

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lawnguy

Well, if you want a heavily adorned with OE certification oil that's based with PAO, Ravenol is probably "it". They not only use top-notch base oils, but they actually go out of their way to get all the OE approvals.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Well, if you want a heavily adorned with OE certification oil that's based with PAO, Ravenol is probably "it". They not only use top-notch base oils, but they actually go out of their way to get all the OE approvals.

What is their very best oil compared to redline 5w30,or the like? Sure would be nice to see a VOA on their best 5w30.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Does anybody know if their API line contains Synerlec?
I thought from looking at them years ago that only the HPS line and "above" used Synerlec, but I'm not sure. It isn't mentioned in the PDS for the API line.
http://www.royalpurpledirect.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

The API version does NOT have Synerlec. Only API version that does is their 5w40 version. Both HPS and XPR lines do have synerlec though. Hope this answers your question.

So basically it's an overpriced [censored] oil..
smile.gif

What is their very best oil compared to redline 5w30,or the like? Sure would be nice to see a VOA on their best 5w30.

They aren't really comparable. Unlike Redline, Ravenol has OE approvals on their products that contain premium base oils, whilst Redline's OEM-geared lubes are based using primarily Group III.

Ravenol has three different PAO-based PCMO 5w-30's:

- DXG, your typical lower HTHS (3.1cP) GF-5 one, that is Dexos 1 gen 2 approved with a Noack of 6%:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-dxg-sae-5w-30.html

- FDS, A1/B1 geared toward Ford, Land Rover and Mercedes. Low HTHS (3.0cP) with a Noack of 8.9%:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-fds-sae-5w-30.html

- VMP, ACEA C3 lube, BMW LL-04, VW 504, MB229.31...etc. High HTHS (3.6cP) with a Noack of 7.2%:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmp-sae-5w-30.html

On top of that, they have a number of less expensive lubes in their lower tier product lines.

Ravenol also makes two racing 5w-30's which also happen to have OEM approvals:

- RSP, BMW LL-01, MB229.5..etc. HTHS of 3.57cP, Noack of 7.2%, pour point of -60C:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rsp-sae-5w-30.html

- REP, BMW LL-04, MB229.51, C3...etc. More geared toward diesels. HTHS of 3.7, Noack of 6.2%, pour point of -60C:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rep-sae-5w-30.html

Probably the most comparable would be the RSP? But even then, it has formal OEM approvals. Interestingly, the DXG, despite being lighter, has the same Noack as the Redline 5w-30 and a lower pour point.

- REP, BMW LL-04, MB229.51, C3...etc. More geared toward diesels. HTHS of 3.7, Noack of 6.2%, pour point of -60C:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rep-sae-5w-30.html

I could see myself using this one in the Corvette someday! It's interesting that they call it a racing oil, but yet it looks like it could easily be used on the street with all the approvals it's got (and the one that applies to me is dexos2)

Originally Posted by OFFRD
The mere fact that they die the oil dark purple as a marketing gimmick is enough to make me shy away. The poor cold pour tests and the fact that operating temp tests on it don't come out any better than the $16/jug Walmart oil pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Given that all oils are dyed as a marketing gimmick, what's wrong with the colour purple? You want a real marketing gimmick? Find a way to dye oil plaid.

Originally Posted by Patman
I could see myself using this one in the Corvette someday! It's interesting that they call it a racing oil, but yet it looks like it could easily be used on the street with all the approvals it's got (and the one that applies to me is dexos2)

Lance's dad needs to push for it to be available in Canada.

The best for your trk is not a racing oil for sure.
Why do you think RP is the best?
Based on what?
Color?purple is cool but won't help your engines
Price? Paying more doesn't mean you're getting more
Certification? Nope
Cool decal? Bingo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back