Royal Purple Max ATF on Volvo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on flushing out my transmission and was looking to use Royal Purple.

It says it meets the JWS 3309 Spec that the AW55-50 transmission requires. You think its worth a shot?

I think it's as good as any of the boutiques and have been running it in a Mercon V application. It has good stats. To be honest, if you meet the transmission specifications, the first criteria, you won't be able to tell many ATFs apart... either dynamically (how the trans operates) nor in wear or longevity. The characteristics often come down to the price range and the RP Max ATF is in the upper tier and performs as such. My post will probably be followed by a bunch of brand-centric rhetoric which you may choose to heed or not. Some may be "better" than others within their respective price realms, but from what little objective data exists, the difference appear to be narrow.

Last edited:
I am not brand centric, but owning 2 Volvos of similar vintage, with that same transmission, the JWS-3309 spec is critically important. If RP meets it - go ahead.

You'll need about 12-14 Q for a good flush.

IPD sells a good kit to accomplish this. They include the two cooler line retaining clips and o-rings, which cost more than IPD's kit if you buy them from the dealer.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-P2/T...p-127-389-1052/

I am sure that RP performs well, but I haven't been willing to pay that much to flush the trans - I generally use Mobil 3309 or stop by my Toyota dealer and pick up T-IV. The other option is the latest version of Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, which now meets JWS-3309. I believe the M1 ATF also meets JWS-3309 now...so maybe I should re-consider...

I would NEVER use the Volvo fluid sold by the dealer. It is mineral oil (nothing wrong with that) but it is identical to the Mobil 3309, but they sell it for $26/QT...yep, 300% mark-up...

Here's a good link on the how to: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12169

Volvo XC forum, but the trans and procedure are the same.

Good on you for actually maintaining the trans, most Volvo owners don't...and suffer the consequences...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
RP MaxATF i$ an excellent choice. Use it.

I will be doing both of mine in the next few months...I'll have to take a look at the RP.

Thanks

How many miles on the S60?
It's a good idea to flush the trans as long as the fluid is recommended for JWS 3309 you will be fine.
I recommend a Magnefine inline filter also.

JWS-3309 is just T-IV and nothing special at all. RP MaxATF meets/exceeds that spec and works very well in transmissions calling for it.

About 87,000 miles on the oil. Going to get me some MAX-ATF and go ahead with the flush once I get a hold of the IPD kit that I ordered.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
JWS-3309 is just T-IV and nothing special at all. RP MaxATF meets/exceeds that spec and works very well in transmissions calling for it.

It's not so much the quality of the base stock in JWS-3309 as the additives that are appropriate for a slip-controlled lock-up transmission. There are lots of Volvo owners who used a "better" fluid than the "nothing special" T-IV/JWS-3309 in this particular trans...

And found out that "better" in the case of the AW 55-50SN meant a $4,000 rebuild as a result...

No doubt RP is better than the mineral oil that makes up Mobil 3309, Toyota's own T-IV, or the volvo fluid....but meeting the spec is more important

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Stop the hearsay. Show one transmission with a failure caused directly by RP ATF.

Didn't say RP caused any failures. Where was that stated? I even said that I would look into using it on the next flush.

What I said was the use of a non JWS-3309 fluid that mechanics (and others) stated was "better" has caused several transmission problems in this particular trans in a Volvo. ...and we were talking about Volvo in this instance...and I own 2 of them...and have pulled and replaced the valve bodies on this transmission...not an easy job.

I am sure the RP will be fine.

But there are lots of great transmission fluids that have caused this thing to die because they didn't meeet the spec...

In this car, it's a problematic transmisssion. And lots of overseas owners, and a few domestic owners, have had tranny failures because the local guy had something better...

Spend some time on this site: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

There are plenty of examples.

Last edited:
So, what were these great transmission fluids that cause these things to die?

Don't confuse a POS transmission as a fluid failure.

Please explain to me how a un approved or even different spec fluid will cause issues within a transmission valve body??? Valve body failure has nothing to do with fluid type, other than the fluid carrying contamination. Sounds like a design issue to me. Fwiw, I'm not jumping on the "bandwagon" here, just trying to stick to the facts.

In my opinion there are many better options beyond T-IV. I have no experience with RP, but seems as though it works in T-IV apps.

See, now you got me worried. :p

I guess I'll give it a try. If it fails, then I guess I just need to rebuild the tranny on my free time. :p

RP MaxATF meets/exceeds T-IV/JWS3309. They wouldn't list it as compatible if it didn't.

Last edited:
I can see that I am not being understood...so here's the set of points surrounding the discussion of flushing the transmission in a Volvo with the AW55-50SN.

1. The Aisin-Warner AW 55-50SN transmission has a terrible reliability record in '01 and '02 Volvos. Many were replaced under warranty by Volvo. Many died in the 60-75,000 mile range, just out of warranty.

2. The '01-'02 transmission was subject to excess valve body wear, which will lead to failure. The valve body design was updated for MY '03 as a result.

3. Wrong fluid can cause soft part wear...and has been blamed for failures in several Volvo XCs by the shops that rebuilt or replaced the transmission. This has not happened to me personally, link to forum for your own assessment provided.

4. Wrong fluid absolutely causes performance problems in this car/transmission combination, including shift flare and harsh engagement.

5. Several Volvo XC (same powertrain combination, same year as OPs car) owners have reported 3. and 4. above.

6. Volvo XC owners who have had transmission failures have been told that it was fluid-related.

7. Not all failures are the result of fluid but it is hard to separate correlation from causality in this case.

8. I do have some experience with this MY Volvo and its transmission, including Valve body issues.

9. My point to the OP was to use fluid that meets JWS 3309 to preclude any potential problems in this car/trans combination.

10. The fluid specification is critical in this transmission. Volvo is adamant that JWS 3309 be used.

11. Royal Purple meets JWS 3309 and will be OK in the OP's car.

12. My advice was Volvo owner to Volvo owner based on specific experience with this combination of engine and transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Case well stated, Astro.

Agreed and wasn't disputing this Volvo issue. I have actually read about it myself before. I was merely pointing out that T-IV/JWS-309 fluid is nothing special and that RP lists it under MaxATF so there is no reason why it would not work. I would not advise using a fluid that does not meet that spec in that application. Definitely a problem for owners with that tranny in that time frame.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Case well stated, Astro.

Agreed and wasn't disputing this Volvo issue. I have actually read about it myself before. I was merely pointing out that T-IV/JWS-309 fluid is nothing special and that RP lists it under MaxATF so there is no reason why it would not work. I would not advise using a fluid that does not meet that spec in that application. Definitely a problem for owners with that tranny in that time frame.

Fair enough...

And like I said, I'll look at RP for the next flush due this summer on both cars. To date, I have only used the 3309 because a flush takes 14 Qts....until I got the valve body problems worked out, I was flushing every couple of months to keep it working correctly...with that volume, and short service, cost matters...

But I plan to put them both back on a more normal interval now that they're sorted out, and would prefer a synthetic. They're weren't too many synthetics that met the standard 2-3 years ago, glad to to know I now have options.

cheers,

None of the issues were fluid caused. All common wear issues with many transmission caused by lack of good filtration and lack of regular ATF maintenance.

Since its a fluid attack, just want to know what fluid supposedly is directly related to a Volvo failure.

Use the RP MaxATF, Amsoil ATF, Amalie, Redline D4...

1. Not fluid related.
2. Common in all makes/models
3. What wrong fluid?
4. What fluid?
5. No kidding. They are smart enough to change ATF because automaker didn't tell them to.
6. Any proof? Stereo failed and keyfob battery died. Must be the ATF.
7. Not proven. No correlation but believable if some generic Type-F or SA, Dex-II or some obsolete garbage fluid was used.
8. Means nothing.
9, 10, 11. Shows T-IV Research before jumping to conclusions and spreading bogus fear.
12. My experience is a little differing. Owner abuse and negligence, along with silly manufacturer recommendations, caused most issues. Even the 'soft' metal wear can be reduced or prevented with ATF filtration. Compounded wear kills the VB. That chain reaction of wear could've been prevented with earlier maintenance, improved filtration, and when abused, improved cooling, and by using an ATF that protects better than T-IV/3309.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back