Rotella T6 5w40 vs Mobil 1 0w40 For Polaris ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jjones
Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Polaris and every other OEM do not make lubricants; they contract with oil companies for a generic product packaged under their label with a fancy name that cannot be cross referenced to anything when in fact they are common lubes. They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils.

With significant dollars at stake, it's not hard to understand why the OEM and the dealer want you to think the OEM is the only oil that is safe to use. The OEM's/Dealers want a monopoly on the products you use such as oil and filters and the owners manuals and warranties are written to affect that end.

I agree 100% ,that's why it surprises me that they no longer sale an oil that is recommended in probably every Polaris owners manual before 2010.2009 and earlier recommends 0w40 and now they only sale a 2w50.Surly someone has gone into a Polaris dealership and walked out with Out buying anything because they had none of the 0w40 oil that their manual says they need.

0-40 is all my Polaris dealer had on the shelf.. im not buying it at $12-$13 a quart.. to many other options out there at better prices.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Jjones
Polaris and every other OEM do not make lubricants; they contract with oil companies for a generic product packaged under their label with a fancy name that cannot be cross referenced to anything when in fact they are common lubes. They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils.

With significant dollars at stake, it's not hard to understand why the OEM and the dealer want you to think the OEM is the only oil that is safe to use. The OEM's/Dealers want a monopoly on the products you use such as oil and filters and the owners manuals and warranties are written to affect that end.

I agree 100% ,that's why it surprises me that they no longer sale an oil that is recommended in probably every Polaris owners manual before 2010.2009 and earlier recommends 0w40 and now they only sale a 2w50.Surly someone has gone into a Polaris dealership and walked out with Out buying anything because they had none of the 0w40 oil that their manual says they need.

0-40 is all my Polaris dealer had on the shelf.. im not buying it at $12-$13 a quart.. to many other options out there at better prices.

I am not sure they even make that 0w40 anymore.I have a 2009 rzr that recommends 0w40 but sometime shortly after I think Polaris started to recommend a 50wt oil in everything.I ,like you would never buy the Polaris oil anyway.I picked up 3 gallons of rotella t6 5w40 for $15/gallon and using a wix filter.I have not researched if there is a problem using the 40wt oils in these engines,there may be a good reason to switch to a 50wt.I have not rode my rzr very much and have only changed the oil once.I will research this more before my next service.If anyone has any info on 40wt vs 50wt in these engines,please post.

Originally Posted By: KoolG6
Looking at using 1 of these 2 oils to use in my new 2011 sportsman, book says to use the weird 2w50 polaris oil... First time I had ever seen that.

I'd be willing to be that Polaris did the 2W-50 thing so that most uninformed people would become frustrated in being unable to find any other oil with that viscosity rating... and it probably works... but not on this site.
grin.gif

Anyhow, I'd bet that the T6 will work just as well, if not better than the PoPo oil... as would several other alternatives.

Originally Posted By: Detail_Guy
Originally Posted By: KoolG6
Looking at using 1 of these 2 oils to use in my new 2011 sportsman, book says to use the weird 2w50 polaris oil... First time I had ever seen that.

I'd be willing to be that Polaris did the 2W-50 thing so that most uninformed people would become frustrated in being unable to find any other oil with that viscosity rating... and it probably works... but not on this site.
grin.gif

Anyhow, I'd bet that the T6 will work just as well, if not better than the PoPo oil... as would several other alternatives.

The above comments make perfect sense and are likely true. What engine is designed to such a degree of tolerance that it will suffer mechanically because the oil was a 5WX vs. a 2WX? That is marketing B - S at it's finest.

Got to wonder how many suckers fall for that? Far too many I'm sure.

But at the same time I wonder how many sales they lose because someone has a Polaris speced for a 0w40 ,but all Polaris has to offer is a 2w50. I have a 2009 rzr and I use rotella t65w40 but would like to know if Polaris discovered a legit reason to be using a 50w oil in these engines. I still would not use Polaris oil but I would like to know if it's better to use a 50w.

I doubt there is a legit reason. Polaris specs 2w50 in my Outlaw 450 with a KTM engine. KTM specs a 10w60 for the same engine in their quads. Just marketing, nothing more.

People falsely assume diesel oils are better, it gives them a feeling of superior knowledge that they can say they use diesel oil in their ATV.

People falsely assume diesel oils are better, it gives them a feeling of superior knowledge that they can say they use diesel oil in their ATV.

27.gif

Oh that's funny, I agree.

First of all, they're not "diesel oil" they're HDEO and they do provide more than adequate lubrication protection.

We, who advocate the use of HDEO agree that we likely do have "superior knowledge" of both lubrication and finance.

After all, we have the basic sense to be able to separate reality from sales hype and keep our money rather than hand it over unnecessarily to dealerships gouging people at $10.00 to $20.00 per liter of oil that's virtually no better at the job it's intended to do.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

First of all, they're not "diesel oil" they're HDEO and they do provide more than adequate lubrication protection.

We, who advocate the use of HDEO agree that we likely do have "superior knowledge" of both lubrication and finance.

After all, we have the basic sense to be able to separate reality from sales hype and keep our money rather than hand it over unnecessarily to dealerships gouging people at $10.00 to $20.00 per liter of oil that's virtually no better at the job it's intended to do.

Wait, you mean that HDEO will not ruin my ATV? I thought I had to use oil that came in quarts with an ATV on the front and cost $10 per quart. I thought this oil was "super duper specially formulated" for an ATV engine. We all know an ATV engine is completely different than a diesel engine. Therefore, a HDEO will wreck an ATV engine.

On a serious note, I am here to tell you that my 400X turned Valvoline ATV 10w40 into water in 2.5 hours. SRT 15w40 was still going strong at 10 hours when I put T5 in and it is not even JASO-MA rated.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Originally Posted By: boraticus

Wait, you mean that HDEO will not ruin my ATV? I thought I had to use oil that came in quarts with an ATV on the front and cost $10 per quart. I thought this oil was "super duper specially formulated" for an ATV engine. We all know an ATV engine is completely different than a diesel engine. Therefore, a HDEO will wreck an ATV engine.

On a serious note, I am here to tell you that my 400X turned Valvoline ATV 10w40 into water in 2.5 hours. SRT 15w40 was still going strong at 10 hours when I put T5 in and it is not even JASO-MA rated.

There you go. There are certainly advantages to having a functioning brain that can discern misleading advertising and sales hype from reality. Pity the fools who can't.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I use the Rotella 5w40 in my Sportsman 700 and Sportsman 500 and no problems. It seems to even run better than with the factory spec Polaris oil.

I SPENT 26 BUCKS on my last 2qrt oil change on my 700cc Ranger (not including filter) just $26 on the oil.. and that was after my discount.. I bought Rotella a few weeks ago and when the polaris oil is done the Rotella is going in.. im sure i will agree with you after this next OCI.

I recently purchased an 06 Brute Force (CVT) and am using Rotella T 15-40 3 seasons and Rotella T6 5-40 for winter. Running P1 filter with it. Calls for Nissan Maxima filter but my wifes Armada filter (longer) fits just fine as well.

I've read a lot of positive feedback with Rotella and a lof of guys have run it on various forms, many with 4k miles plus on their machines. So, I think you are in good hands with Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back