Rotella no longer gas engine rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So help me understand..... Is SOPUS building HDEO oils that are now "happy" with low ash and particulate filters, etc.... and that blend is no long good for gasoline engines?

Or another thing I can imagine..... I know that commercial companies buy their oils in 55gal drums and for years and years would use 15w40 or 5w40 in all their diesel rigs.....and also in their 2500/3500 gas pickups and vans....which are now spec'ing 5w20. Are they making this change to "force" their commercial customers to quit using it in their other gas vehicles????

What's really going on here?

And.....Is T4 and T6 now NO GOOD for motorcycles???? What's the final verdict on bikes???

Morning All;

First time on here with a post;
I have been looking into the T6 for my Victory 106 engine that calls for a 20-40 that everybody knows is a odd weight of oil that's not carried in most if not all automotive parts houses. Is the T6 5-40 to thin to run?? i am asking about the 5W part of course. I just changed oil and used the Lucas 10-40 blend motorcycle oil. But after finding this site and looking around, i don't think this was a good direction to go here?

Victory is not producing motorcycles anymore which is a sore subject with me. And i don't want to give Polaris another dime of my money. So, I am looking for options to keep my Vic happy and on the road and be easily bought and not have to be ordered.

Thanks All
Rick

Like I said in the other thread...

I have the CJ-4 15w40 in my bike right now.

I WILL be changing the oil in my bike in a week or two and will be using Rotella T4 CK-4 15w40. I will get a UOA of the CK-4 in a 2000 mile test.

Bike is a 2002 Honda CBR 600F4i. I think a UOA for a wet clutch super sport will be sufficient for those who have wet clutches.

Cheers.

The actual oil doing its job at operating temp is 40. The cold start, cold flow is 5W which is still many times thicker than 40 hot. So if 40 hot will keep the motor alive and happy, give it shot
smile.gif

They likely spec'd 20W-40 because they were marketing their own oil in that range and new it would confuse some folks, or shrink the availability ...

There is a 25W-40 oil, and a very stout one at that - Mercury Quicksilver 25W-40 is good stuff. But I see no reason to search it out. And it's not cheap.

Modern 5W-40 HDEO's are very good oils and the chemistry has moved on
smile.gif

I know I posted earlier in this thread, just an update.
I was in Walmart last night, didnt think to take a photo.

Rotella T-4, T-6 CK4 oil claim they meet Jaso for your bike. I THINK T-5 too .
One just needs to look on the back of the bottle.

Honestly if I had this issue with the CK4 I would not buy a CK-4 that also meets the SN rating as of this time I think anti wear additives will be lower. Not to start a debate, just common sense on why experiment on your bike until more is known. :eek:)
I would only buy a CK-4 that does not have a SN API claim.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Honestly if I had this issue with the CK4 I would not buy a CK-4 that also meets the SN rating as of this time I think anti wear additives will be lower. Not to start a debate, just common sense on why experiment on your bike until more is known. :eek:)

What would really suck is if CK4 rating is no good. I don't feel like shelling out $10 a quart for synthetic motorcycle labeled oil. Yet I don't want a conventional 10w40 that will shear to a 30 grade after just 5 hours of use.

This is troubling.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

What would really suck is if CK4 rating is no good. I don't feel like shelling out $10 a quart for synthetic motorcycle labeled oil. Yet I don't want a conventional 10w40 that will shear to a 30 grade after just 5 hours of use.

This is troubling.

what do you think t6 does?

shears just as quick or quicker than 10w40.

you could run half 10w40 and half 20w50, that normally produces a fairly long lasting 40 weight

Based on your two southern areas - would not waste money on the T6 popularity ...
Just changed to Delvac 1300 at 4.3 HTHS, lower NOACK than T6 ... and $12/gallon ,,,

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

This is troubling.

what do you think t6 does?

shears just as quick or quicker than 10w40.

you could run half 10w40 and half 20w50, that normally produces a fairly long lasting 40 weight

I don't run T6. I use T4 15w40

Is 20w50 V-Twin oil okay for my bike as well? Never thought about using both the 10w40 and 20w50 combined

Last edited:
Ten years ago vtwin used to have an over 500 degree flash point, today its around 440 degree. Mobil has been playing with base oils imo (downgrading), while upping the prices.

Price conscious, look no further than Valvoline mc oil

Ten years ago vtwin used to have an over 500 degree flash point, today its around 440 degree. Mobil has been playing with base oils imo (downgrading), while upping the prices.

Price conscious, look no further than Valvoline mc oil

That's what I was looking at. Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil. My bike has a 3.5 quart sump. Was wondering if 2 quarts of Valvoline 20w50 and 1.5 quarts of 10w40 would be the right mixture to last me at least a 2k mile oci without shearing to a 30 weight.

I've been using Rotella 15w-40 for a long time now, but with the change to CK-4, I'm not sure that's the right direction.

Valvoline 4-stroke conventional MC oil (both 10w-40 and 20w-50) is $3.97 everyday price via Wallyworld; shipped to your local store for free (if not already on the shelf). That's for a lube that is JASO-MA2 rated (by Valvoline). Probably going to become my new choice. While $4/qrt is not thrilling me, it's better than the silly alternatives that are $10/qrt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've been using Rotella 15w-40 for a long time now, but with the change to CK-4, I'm not sure that's the right direction.

Valvoline 4-stroke conventional MC oil (both 10w-40 and 20w-50) is $3.97 everyday price via Wallyworld; shipped to your local store for free (if not already on the shelf). That's for a lube that is JASO-MA2 rated (by Valvoline). Probably going to become my new choice. While $4/qrt is not thrilling me, it's better than the silly alternatives that are $10/qrt.

That was my exact reasoning as well. Would LOOOOOOVE to stick with Rotella but I don't like the CK-4 blend. It's unfortunate that MC synthetic oil is so expensive. Thank goodness for Valvoline's conventional 20w50 and 10w40 oil. Like you said it's MA2 which is really enticing as well.

I have found that my VT1100 likes 1 qt of 40wt with the rest 10/40. I can run that blend out to 3500 to 4000 miles before the shifting gets rough. T6 would last around 2000 miles and any brand of 15/40 would last 2500 to 3000 miles. Have over 100k miles on my '98 1100 and it took me a few oil changes to find what works in my bike.

ROD

that would work

Agree, I used to do that with my winter mix when I used Valvoline MC oil.
20/50 summer here in SC.
I have posted some good UOAs in here on that oil back around 2011/12 or so.
Always liked the oil and the way the shifting held up, better then the 15/40 HEDOs (even though they were good too)
Yup, $4.00 a quart for conventional oil and will do just as good and better then more then half the full synthetic motorcycle oils out there when it comes to wear according to Amsoils Motorcycle oil study "Part II" back around 2010.

That and the latest VOA of the T5 CK-4.... TBN decreased to 8.xx from 9.xx. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence about the T4 and T6

I know we aren't supposed to base our observations....to much....on the "seat of our pants" monitor. BUT......

The son and I just got back from a 1,200 mile loop, 3-day ride on a couple of BMW R Class engines. Yes, these bikes have separate tranny's and a dry clutch, I know, and aren't terribly known for being super hard on oil, but before leaving, we poured in some of the new T4 Rotella 15w40.

Starting around the 500 mile mark, the son and I both noticed that the top-end, valve noise became a bit louder and more rough than we have ever noticed on these bikes. I would have sworn that I had 20wt or 30wt oil in the bikes. The oil level was just fine throughout the trip...... but this thread has me concerned and wondering if my plan to do 5k OCI's with this oil in these engines is a bad decision.

I am also a huge fan of Delo and wonder if I should migrate to Chevron.....15w40.

Delo® 400 LE SAE 15W-40 is a mixed fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and four-stroke gasoline engines in which the API CJ-4 service category and SAE 15W-40 viscosity grade are recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rick_gee
Morning All;

First time on here with a post;
I have been looking into the T6 for my Victory 106 engine that calls for a 20-40 that everybody knows is a odd weight of oil that's not carried in most if not all automotive parts houses. Is the T6 5-40 to thin to run?? i am asking about the 5W part of course. I just changed oil and used the Lucas 10-40 blend motorcycle oil. But after finding this site and looking around, i don't think this was a good direction to go here?

Victory is not producing motorcycles anymore which is a sore subject with me. And i don't want to give Polaris another dime of my money. So, I am looking for options to keep my Vic happy and on the road and be easily bought and not have to be ordered.

Thanks All
Rick

T6 is way to thin for your Victory, use an HEDO in 15/40 conventional or semi syn and your good to go.
Also FYI living in a Southern State 20/50 motorcycle oil would be fine too. Actually I would prefer it or Mystik JT8 15/50 semi syn. which is what I use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back